“That's the hotel to stay in Houston”
Review of The Houstonian

The Houstonian
Ranked #12 of 508 Hotels in Houston
New Orleans, Louisiana
“That's the hotel to stay in Houston”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed in the Houstonian during my business trip for a week. It's a great hotel, I'd call it "Old Houston" with an amazing property, friendly crew and clean rooms. The territory of the hotel is very green and it feels like the hotel is located in the middle of a big garden where a lot of wild squirrels, birds and rabbits live. No need to mention the fantastic sport club which belongs to the hotel with a couple swimming pools (including an Olympic size pool outside with a warm water during cold days). The Spa is great. I had a facial and was very satisfied with the job that was done with my face. The hotel is located next to Memorial park and it's walking distance to the park for those who like to exercise. The Italian restaurant located next to the hotel has fantastic food and if you like a nice cup of cappuccino served with a wonderful cookie beautify decorated with sugar-this restaurant is just right for you. No need to write much- just chose this hotel if you like yourself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed here in August 2013. I stayed on the club level because I have kids and didn't want to leave the property but didn't want to pay full restaurant or room service prices either. With the club level you pay a little more for the room but you get continental breakfast, cocktails, light dinner and after dinner sweets as well as liquers included. If you have kids and don't really want to leave the property but want to save some money I would recommend the club level. It also has tea, coffee and sodas all day. Forget using the hotel fridge, just go down to the club room and snag some sodas for the room, which is what I did. The pool is awesome if you have kids, it has a log slide into the pool that the kids loved. It's everything you expect of a hotel of this type.

Some reviews said the place was older....I'm not sure what the refers to. I found everything excellent. There is also childcare at the gym (you have to stay on the resort property) but great if you want to go to the gym or just hang out by yourself. The staff are all professional and take care of you, anything you need. Each room has a keurig machine and on the club level there is also turn down service.

I can't recommend this place highly enough!

Room Tip: Club level floor
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights for a conference. Nice lobby, room was comfy, and the real plus was the attached Houstonian Health Club. While you stay here, you have the ability to use the Houstonian Health Club. The club offers a myriad of amenities, and has a total of 3 pools, a water slide, a hot tub, 8 tennis courts, a rock climbing wall, full gym, boxing ring, etc. etc. The Houstonian Health Club consistently places in the top 5 health clubs in the country.

The Conference areas and dining rooms are perfect.

The only drawbacks are: parking, location, and room views. You're not able to come and go as you please in your car, if you stay at the hotel. All parking is valet. Also, there are not any other nearby options for food, within walking distance. My room had a view directly into other hotel rooms across an atrium area.

Overall, very nice hotel, well suited for families and/or those on business. I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dripping Springs
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed in a regular, non-upgrade, non-concierge level room for two nights, and it was lovely. The room looked out over a little wooded area where the trees and vines extend up to the roof. We really liked that there were two easy chairs (plus a desk & desk chair) rather than the desk and single chair normally found in a single-king-bed hotel room. The room was very clean, and housekeeping was attentive and friendly without being obtrusive. They had also removed all the down pillows before we got there as I had requested when making the reservation. The front desk and concierge each handled different requests from us promptly and courteously.

Our first afternoon there, we sat in the bar and watched an approaching thunderstorm. We were looking out the window and saw an explosion of some sort at an electric substation about a block away. Shortly afterward, the power at the hotel went out. It stayed out for about a half hour, and the staff went about placing chem-lights in the halls (in addition to the emergency lighting) and checking on people. They handled what must have been a stressful time very well.

The only thing that was not perfect was that the bartender made a mistake in the ingredients in both our drinks - she was friendly though and had we asked I'm sure she would have re-done them.

You can self-park in a garage connected to the hotel; if you have a large sedan or SUV you might want to use the valet service as the turns in the parking garage are *very* tight.

The gym, pools, etc. are great and very clean. If you're there for a romantic getaway, you will see kids but they do try to keep them from running too wild. I'd love to see a whirlpool in the adult pool area.

Overall, a very nice hotel, much more than we expected for the price. Very well run, very professional.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DSTexas
Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed at the Houstonian with family on our way across the country. Check in was fast, easy and pleasant. Each staff member was warm, friendly and helpful. Lobby and grounds are attractive and well maintained. Room was well appointed with nice turn down service and quiet as well. Though room had been updated, some parts were worn or in need of repair. Bottom of tub could have been cleaner (black smudges need to be bleached out as does black mold in caulking, etc.) Lighting is excellent in bathroom, and I wish all hotels would imitate. I was surprised about the sheets; they felt like a very low thread count or polyester. Access to all of the sports facilities makes for a fun & active stay. All of the staff were excellent and food was good.

1 Thank dosmadre
Arkansas
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have visited Houston many times both to visit a student at Rice and for treatment at M.D. Anderson and have usually stayed in the immediate vicinity of those locations. This time, we wanted to make a mini vacation out of our trip and looked for a resort property in the area. We were quite surprised to find The Houstonian, which is only a couple of miles from The Galleria and is just off of 610, but it feels like a woodland getaway. The lobby is lovely in the old English hunting lodge way, with an enormous stone fireplace. Our room on the third floor looked out over the forest and if we didn't look too closely, we'd have thought we were in the middle of nowhere. Floor to ceiling windows enhanced the view that almost felt like a treehouse. The room was in good shape, comfortable and well appointed. The bathroom was very small but was well organized and in good condition. It was comfortable for two of us, but would have been tight for a family. Major bonus points for this hotel that, unlike many resort hotels, had a coffee maker in the room. Everything in the room functioned well and we had good wifi access. We had one room service meal (dinner) which was very well done. In particular, the chocolate cake with caramel was a highlight. We also had breakfast in Olivette, which was very good. We visited the pools (there are three) briefly (unfortunate timing of a rain storm) and thought that they were fine. Not up to par with the best resorts, but certainly acceptable (no bar or table service, no attendants other than life guards, temporary snack bar while a permanent pool grill is under construction). But the pools were clean and well maintained. We had no complaints and would certainly visit again, but I will point out a few things that could be improved. Since we just had small carryon bags for our short trip, we took our suitcases to the room ourselves. That may have been a mistake because we never really felt like we knew where anything was or what services were available. I suspect that a lot of "training" is done by the bellstaff because the directional signage in the hotel isn't great. It would have been nice if someone had pointed out where the pools, spa, fitness center, restaurants, etc., were located. We found everything we needed, but we had to figure it out ourselves. The restaurants aren't great for vegetarians, except at dinner. Given what we had for room service (which is better than the dining room menu), we probably would have enjoyed the restaurants but instead, we ate off property for most meals. A vegetarian could be fed at any of the restaurants, but in most, there would only be one or possibly two choices, so our vegetarian daughters weren't delighted by that. The other disappointment, although this is certainly not unusual, is that we were unable to get spa appointments. This was a last minute trip and there were four of us, so I understand why they had nothing available, but I had hoped that during the day on a Monday, there might have been more availability. We would have been happy to enjoy a number of spa services. The first floor corridor that leads to the pools always smelled like heavy air fresheners were being used to cover a musty smell. I would not have wanted to be staying in that area (which was the only place where I noticed unpleasant smells). All in all, this was a good stay. Extremely convenient location for The Galleria and not too far from Rice, M.D. Anderson, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a wooded view. Consider an upper floor or the concierge floor.
1 Thank ArkansasOrchid
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time my husband and I decided to visit this hotel. My husband found a summer special price and booked us a room on the concierge level. First thing that happened was we asked for a mini refrigerator be brought to our room for us to store our snacks and drinks. We waited for someone for half an hour before I called back down to see what happened. They had no answer for me as to what happened and just said they'd call and have it sent up. The second thing that happened was that it wasn't getting cooler in our room and I noticed that the vent in the bathroom was covered in dust and filth preventing proper air flow. We requested that it be cleaned the following morning after having a hot and miserable night. We left that morning and came back that afternoon to the vent still not being cleaned and a hot room. I called again and they sent someone up shortly after. The third thing that happened was that we ordered breakfast for the morning of our departure. I got the salmon with cheese and the cheese had hairy green mold on the top slice. It was immediately obvious when I took off the top to my plate. How the chef did not notice makes me think that there is not enough attention being made in the kitchen. The fourth thing that happened was they closed access from the gym to the hotel where you walk through the pool...we asked for directions back and got very ride responses from the pool staff waiting inside of the gym. The last thing before we just about walked out carrying all of our own bags was that we called to have out bags brought down... No one came up and several minutes later I got a call asking if I needed help with my bags... Which makes no sense to me at all and it's a first for me as I have stayed in many luxury hotels and have never had this happen. The guy who called asking if I needed help never came after 10 minutes I called down to my husband whom was checking out and he personally took a luggage carrier himself until he was stopped and asked if he needed assistance. This hotel needs to employ more people and be sure that they are properly trained in busy situations. There were also several time where maintenance came in or almost came in without knocking. Although we always thoroughly enjoy the gym and pool, this time some of the staff greatly disappointed us.

• Stayed August 2013