“Romantic Week-End”
Review of The Houstonian

The Houstonian
Ranked #11 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I spent a wonderful romantic week-end at the Houstonian Hotel in Houston, Texas, where we live. It was a great, relaxing time. The beds and black out curtains meant we really caught up on our much needed sleep. Love the O'Occitane toiletries. The Trellis Spa is beautiful! When the pipe under the bathroom sink broke, the staff immediately moved us to a beautiful suite, so we were actually glad for the "inconvenience " of having to move rooms. We plan to make this an annual get-away in our hometown.

2  Thank Jeanenehannawagner
There are newer reviews for The Houstonian

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Normally, when staying in Houston, I always stay at the St. Regis; however due to recently enrolling in the iPrefer Loyalty program, decided to stay at the Houstonian Hotel in Houston over Memorial Day weekend.
I found the Houstonian to be most acceptable. Their location in the Memorial Park/Galleria area just outside I610 is great; and you would never know you are so close to a major interstate highway due to the heavy woods, all traffic noise is removed.
This appears to be an older property. The lobby is outstanding with a dual sided stone fireplace. I’m sure it is decorated wonderfully during the holidays. Checkin was fast & efficient. The bar is very nice, and received great service from the staff. Compared to the bar at the St. Regis, I would rate the Houstonian a bit higher, as it is very light & open. Remington in the St. Regis is rather dark (due to the fact there are no outside windows).
I booked a room on the Concierge floor. This floor requires card entry in the elevator to reach the floor, and the Concierge Lounge also will require your room key. The Lounge was very nice, offers Continental Breakfast, snacks, wine & snacks in the evening. After dinner drinks and sweets are also provided. Supplies were kept well stocked during all of my visits.
The guest rooms are a bit on the small side, especially the bathroom. The hallways and rooms could use updating. Housekeeping and turn down service was performed in a timely manner.
Based on my experience I would stay at the Houstonian again. However, it is not as elegant as the St. Regis, and I felt the over-the-top customer service at the St. Regis was missing. The Houstonian appears to cater to more families with children. The Houstonian does offer self parking at $15.00 per day, valet I believe was $28.00. St Regis only provided valet parking.
While I consider myself a ‘hotel snob’; this hotel snob would return to the Houstonian; after getting a fix of the St. Regis on my next visit.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at The Houstonian for a wedding and loved it! Almost felt like we were sleeping in a tree house because of all the trees outside our window. The bed was very comfortable and everything about the room was great - except for the water pressure in the shower. We had a difficult time getting the shower head to stay "on." We'd start the water running in the tub, then pull the knob to switch it to shower mode, and when we'd let go, the water would start running out the tap again. Had to keep tugging on it and hold it just right for it to stay. Honestly, that was our only complaint! The Houstonian feels like a secluded place, even though it's right off 610. Walked around the jogging trail the morning we left - not used to the humidity in Houston or else I would have gone for a run. Didn't stay long enough to use the pool, though it looked really nice. There was some construction going on too - would love to see how everything looks when it's done!

To be honest, I'm not sure that we'll stay here again because of the price (we're a young married couple on a budget, thankfully got the discounted rate through the wedding), but we loved The Houstonian! Definitely recommend it!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our family vacation here was short but sweet! I have to go against most of what KimmyinTexas said, I want other families who are looking to go here to know the stay is wonderful. The check in was smooth, we got there around noon our room wouldn't be ready till 4 so they gave us access to the pool to enjoy while our room was being cleaned. The pool area is fantastic, not sure about bottled margaritas but we had excellent servers and delicious margaritas and pina coladas in cups. There was beer, food, popsicles, etc. something for everyone at the pool area. The pool is HUGE, there was a TON of people and I didn't feel crowded at all and I can be pretty picky!! In a 3 hour period we had 2 ten minute breaks for kids under 12 and the lifeguards ONLY said something to the kids running, a given. So many places advertise all the wonderful things and the Houstonian lives up to it. The grounds are beautiful, the gym, the little cafe by the basketball court all of which are just a little something other hotels just don't have.

The valet is about $10 more then the self park but I gotta say SOOOO worth it if you plan on coming and going like we did. One time fee. When we left for dinner to the Downtown Aquarium which is also fantastic, WONDERFUL food about 15 minutes away (Take memorial Dr all the way into Downtown) when we got back the maids had gone in cleaned our room, turned down our sheets, set out wine glasses, filled our ice bucket, turned the radio on a light station and left mints. I have to say that was a nice treat to come back too, the kids were thrilled to get the mints. The rooms are solid, heard no noise and there was a HUGE wedding, never felt overtaken even while sitting outside enjoy the night.

One thing I will advise is if you have kids bring them snacks and juice/water and if you enjoy a glass of wine/beer bring your own. They supply glasses and wine/bottle openers in your room. If not you will spend $18 for ONE glass of wine not with tip at the bar or $27 for TWO glasses from the bottle in your fridge in the room. $9 for a domestic beer. The keurig in the rooms are great, the LARGE flat screen tv's are great and actually have lots of channels including 3 HBO channels. The bathrooms are small but we had 2 adults and 2 kids and survived. The rooms themselves are nice size,we had the 2 queen bed room.

All in all we enjoyed ourselves very much and can't wait to return again, very soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank buckman123
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Houstonian has just about anything and everything you will need. Great rooms with comfortable beds and L'Occitane toiletries, a gym, three pools and a great lobby bar.
Attended a wedding and it could not have been nicer. At check-in guest services knew you were attending the wedding and made you feel right at home.

Room Tip: Concierge Level rooms appear to be a bit larger and are on the top floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Went solo for buisness. Room was very nice and clean and comfortable bed. Check in was nice and quick. Self parking was a bit weird, didn't see an elevator up to the check in floor so suitcase up over stairs it was! Very nice resort style pool, also a smaller warmer pool that was nice and quiet. Would be perfect if you could get drink service more easily pool side. Service at the bar next to the lobby was very good and it was a great place to grab a drink, had a live band playing some nice instruments. Rooms service food was decent and service again was good. Would return for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I can see why you might visit the Houstonian and not leave it during your stay, although you should see Houston properly. The problem is that the Houstonian has everything, from wonderfully comfortable beds and L'Occitane toiletries to the largest gym I have ever visited, three pools and a full service beauty salon, which unfortunately I didn't have time to visit. The only reason I didn't give it an excellent rating was because the air conditioning was very noisy, my fault for keeping it on, you might say. Book early if you want to go to the Houstonian, it's a very special place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the corridor, preferably on the concierge level.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business