“Paradise in the middle of the city”
Review of The Houstonian

The Houstonian
Ranked #15 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a very high quality hotel and the service is excellent from the time you step onto the property. It is small but it is a little piece of quiet bliss in the middle of one of the busiest parts of Houston. It is only five minutes from the Galleria but you feel like you are in the middle of the country because it is very quiet, heavily wooded, serine, and beautifully appointed.

Room Tip: Make sure you give yourself time to enjoy the entire property. There is a walking trail around the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This is probably the prettiest hotel in houston. Set on a few acres, its just a nice property to walk. At the front desk: Lovely service, always. Best gym in town. The beds are ridiculously comfortable and despite the rooms being older, they are impeccably maintained with lovely amenities.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I booked this place for two nights blind through Priceline and it was definitely worth more than I paid. To begin, the grounds are beautiful and there are many health and fitness amenities -- although since I was on business and had limited time I was unable to enjoy them. The fitness trails that went through the beautiful grounds looked awesome and made me wish I had brought some fitness shoes.

The self-park parking is covered which gave me peace of mind when large storms came in and the weather people were talking about hail. The parking is not free, which was the one disappointment. You can self-park or, for a higher fee, valet park (and they also put your car in covered parking).

Check in was pleasant and efficient. When I got to my room it was such a nice surprise. There was really great attention to detail. The room was clean right into the corners. There is a button on the wall that you can push if you do not wish to have maid service. The room was very comfortable with lots of amenities. The soap, lotion, shampoo, shower gel and conditioner are in large pump containers so you don't have to unwrap anything or try to get the last drop out of the bottle. They have l'Occitane products. In the closet, in addition to the usual blow dryer and a really nice bathrobe, there was a flashlight. Internet access is free. In addition to the well-stocked mini-fridge (fee for products) there was a Keurig coffee maker (free coffee) in the cabinet below the large TV.

I opted for the room service breakfast and it was on time and really good. All service from everybody the whole time I was there was flawless.

The only unpleasant experience I had was a big storm came through and caused a power outage in the middle of the night, which really wasn't the hotel's fault. It was comforting to know that the flashlight was in the closet in case I needed it!!

The hotel was convenient with access to Loop 610 and the Galleria nearby. There were also many good restaurants outside of the hotel within a 5 to 10 minute drive.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SusanDFW
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I wish I had not been traveling on business and could have had more time to enjoy this beautiful property. The resort seems sprawling for being so convenient to the Galleria area in Houston. I happened to get a very good deal on the rate and so I got to experience a little more luxury than perhaps I would otherwise. I did not get to try many of the amenities available, but the food, service and everything else was very good. I had a small issue with the shower, which was fixed as soon as I called to report it.

As a business traveler the down side was that I saw others lazily taking in the perks available and did not have the chance to experience them myself.

Food is excellent and if you want even more pampering, the concierge floor offers very special added luxuries.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We chose the Houstonian for the resort-like pool as we were traveling with our nine year old. There are no other resort properties in Houston that I am aware of like JW Marriott. The weather was not favorable for outdoor activities unfortunately, however the pool did appear to be big enough for adults and kids to enjoy. The Houstonian has three pools, a lap pool, an warmer and more intimate pool, and the resort pool with slides, tanning ledge etc.

My husband was confused by the dichotomy of the 70's office building exterior (nestled into a woodland area smack in middle of Houston) and the gentle men's hunting lodge feel of the interior. Regardless, the common areas were tasteful, quiet and welcoming. The hotel property was easy to access from the major freeways and other Houston tourism areas.

We were upgraded to the concerierge level floor because of American Express. Our room was average sized with 2 queen beds. The beds were nicely elevated and very comfortable. The turn down service was nice with chocolates and quiet music playing in the room. The room had a fully stocked fridge and snack area including a Keurig coffee maker. We had access the to concerierge dining room with continental breakfast including coffee, waters, juices, pastries, cereals, and fruit.

The bathroom was tight. The fixtures were nicely upgraded. Clean.

Overall, the property has been well maintained despite it's age and only close inspection into the tight corners of the room could you really see it. We would stay here again to fully appreciate the grounds and pools.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wendy Y
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Amazing..... My husband and I loved the beautiful grounds and the fantastic service. We loved our room, and the bed was comfortable. We relaxed by the pool, enjoyed treatments at the spa, and Walked the inviting grounds. I hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Houstonian several times and will continue to stay anytime I am in Houston; this hotel has very friendly and professional staff. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. The gym facility is top notch! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Derr46
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Derr46,
Thank you for your continued business. I am pleased you have found the staff the be professional and the rooms to be well appointed and comfortable. We look forward to seeing you back at The Houstonian soon.