“The Best!”

Ranked #7 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Beaufort, South Carolina
“The Best!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Returning to the Houstonian is like visiting a treasured friend. I love everything about it, from the gracious and beautifully trained staff to the beautiful grounds. It even smells wonderful as they pipe a lovely scent through the airconditioning in the common areas. Food is terrific, spa is perfect, and the health club is stellar.

The Houstonian has charisma, if it is possible for an inanimate object to do that. I just love being there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear bossysooz, thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed many aspects of our property, including the food, spa and Club. Thank you for your business, we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Malibu, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is one of my favorites when I travel for business. It has everything I would want in a hotel plus. The rooms are in a traditional style, comfortable and are very nicely decorated. The last room I stayed in had a small couch and floor to ceiling windows looking out into a forested area. Of course, the room also had a desk and chair which is a must for business travelers. I also appreciate the make up mirror in the bathroom which not all hotels have. The lobby area is also lovely with a huge stone fireplace. The gym is by far the best I have ever seen in a hotel; it is a large stand alone fitness center. The only downside is that you have to go outside the hotel building to get to it (it is still on the property, just next door). The hotel feels like it is in the middle of a forest, I love the fact that you don't feel like you are in a city. I haven't eaten at any of the restaurants but have ordered room service and the food is very good and reasonably priced. Customer service is also excellent, they do make an extra effort for the guest. Most of the hotels I stay in for business are perfectly nice but nothing special. I would definitely put this one in the special category.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DearCAL31M, I am pleased to know you consider The Houstonian special and one of your favorite Houston hotels. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here two nights for a wedding in Houston. We chose it because we both like the use of a gym and pools. They were far better than I imagined. We didn't want to leave the property, and didn't, except for the wedding. The gym, which is private and members only, allows access for the hotel guests and is the largest and most comprehensive I have seen anywhere. The lap pool is magnificent. Everything is beautifully maintained and the staff is friendly.

The hotel is older, but like so much of Houston, has a certain stylishness that I like. It is located on an old estate with failry extensive grounds and trails. However, you can hear the folks next door and the doors slamming in the halls--not so great in the middle of the night. The room was very nice otherwise, with fine linens, toiletries and a very comfortable bed and floor to ceiling window with a peaceful view of a wooded area.

We enjoyed very good service. We had mistakenly reserved for the wrong weekend and showed up a month later. Our credit card had been charged for one night as a penalty for the no-show. The front desk was very accommodating, canceled the charge and gave us the same special rate for a room on the concierge level, as those were the only rooms left. So we had free drinks (open bar), desserts and continental breakfast each day in the "exclusive" lounge on our floor. Nice bonus for our mistake.

I will definitely return if ever again in Houston.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Gordon12345, Thank you for staying with us during your time in Houston. I am pleased you found the hotel beautifully maintained and the staff to be friendly and accommodating. We appreciate your review and look forward to serving you again soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Houstonion is certainly different to your standard Houston fare. Set in a park like setting with beautiful old tress, it is low rise and quiet.
The rooms are pretty good, well kept and spacious. Initially I was in an interconnecting room and there was quite a lot of noise through the interconnecting door, but they happily moved me to another room. It had free wireless which worked reasonably well, but they do charge$15 per night for self parking, which I thought was a bit much.
The lobby area has a club like atmosphere, fireplaces and deep armchairs, but it was very quiet during my stay, almost a little too quiet! Its on site dining facilites are a bit limited and I could not get a decent cup of coffee when the restaurant was shut.
It is located in The Galleria area west of the centre of Houston, but very convenient for the big shopping centres.

Room Tip: Avoid those with interconnecting doors, the noise travels through them...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear David S, Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed The Houstonian’s grounds and spacious features. In regards to self-parking, our charge is standard for hotels in the Galleria area. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
San Marcos, Texas
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spent the weekend at this hotel for a wedding. I've stayed in the Houston area many times and didn't realize where this hotel was located. You could easily miss it as it's entrance is part of a well manicured driveway. It's an older hotel with charm and excellent service. The pool looked inviting and the work out facilities can't be beat. The staff is professional and the housekeeping services are some of the best anywhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear cctravelerCctx, thank you for your review. I am glad you found the grounds to be well manicured and the housekeeping services to be the best anywhere. We look forward to seeing you back at The Houstonian soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Only stayed one night for business. I had been here before for a meeting and to check out the fantastic gym facilities (into fitness so this is big for me). There is even a boxing studio. Staff is excellent and I will be back and give myself some more time to relax.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Justin T, thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London
Reviewed October 9, 2012

You could be forgiven for thinking you weren't in Houston as you drive through the entry gates towards the hotel. Plush greenery on both sides of the road with old established trees all around. A fairly slick operation for valet parking at the entrance or you can elect to self park. I have been to this hotel several times now and find the service consistently good and check in has been no exception; quick, efficient and polite.
Rooms are reasonably large and comfortable, but like the bathrooms they are getting a little dated, though that is not to detract from the whole ambience of the place. This is a top class hotel and it exudes a warm and clubby feel.
There are two outdoor swimming pools; one for the more serious swimmers and a free form pool for just chilling in and around. There is also an indoor pool. The gym is simply the best I have seen in a hotel - huge with lots of equipment and high class facilities.
The hotel restaurant is good too, the food quality is high and the service is very professional. The bar has a great atmosphere and bar staff good fun.
The Hotel is well positioned for the downtown Galleria shopping area and close to roads into the Business District
In summary a very good hotel at the best I have stayed in around the Houston Area

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms (3rd and 4th floors) are much natural light than the lower level rooms due to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Da M, I am pleased you have found service at The Houstonian consistently good and check-in to be efficient and quick. Thank you for your comments regarding guest rooms, pools and food and beverage options. We appreciate you choosing to stay at The Houstonian. We look forward to serving you again soon.