“Love the bar and outddors”
Review of The Houstonian

The Houstonian
Ranked #13 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Texas
“Love the bar and outddors”
Reviewed February 29, 2008

We stayed at the Houstonian hotel for my birthday weekend. The grounds are amazing. It's like you have stepped into another world when you are on the property. Yet, there's tons of shopping and office buildings right outside the gates. But within, you're in your own little paradise. They have a great bar on the first floor. The room itself wasn't the best. But the service was good. Everyone was very helpful. I just loved the look and feel of the place. We took walks every day. Oh and the spa!!! I swear, I never wanted to leave the spa. We had a couples massage there. I can’t tell you how much we enjoyed it. Excellent! My only slightly negative point is that the guest room could use an update.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — The room needed updating... mostly the carpet
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
MS
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We chose the Houstonian for my Bday weekend. I knew I wanted to spend a lot of time at the Galleria and at the gym. It is a beautiful property as far as the outdoors and the spa go, and the gym is comparable to none. It offered everything! The hotel itself, not so nice. The carpet is stained in the hallways and in front of the rooms, the beds are most uncomfortable and sink into the middle and have no support, you can tell they are old. The linens are crisp and soft but were stained too!!! The coffee was horrible. The food at Olivettes is not great and overpriced. There is no nightlife there so grab a cab and head near the Galleria if you want entertainment. They advertise complimentary shuttle service which is very unreliable so plan on a cab after you have called the shuttle and waited for 30 minutes for a pick up from the Galleria(3 miles away). I wouldn't stay there unless you were looking for a spa and gym getaway. It is way overpriced and customer service is very lacking.

Stayed February 2008
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2008

One of the better Hotels in the Galleria area. The public areas are outstanding. Bar, lobby, gym, restaraunt are all as good as you get in houston.

Only thing that lets the hotel down is the size and quality of the rooms. they are small and becoming quite tired..

Staff v freindly and helpful. Room service is good too. I didn't use the spa.

The place to stay if your want to stay in the gallleria area.

• Liked — Public areas
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RST1974
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2008

This was my third trip to the Houstonian. In this case I wasn't planning on staying there, but a last minute travel change left me looking for a hotel room near the Galleria area.

The Houstonian came to mind and was able to secure me a standard king size bed over the phone on my way to the hotel. When I arrived they had everything ready for me to check in.

The rooms are nice and clean, though they are beginning to show some signs of age. They are a bit larger than the standard hotel room. My room with a king also had a sofa bed. The mattress left a little to be desired. I think they were attempting to match some of the chains' signature beds. In this regard, they fell short. However, the linens were fine and the pillows were plentiful.

The bathrooms are well appointed with nice toiletries, etc. They had plenty of towels and they were of good quality.

One great thing about the hotel is their turndown service. After taking a shower and getting ready for a wedding, I went out for the evening. While the maid had already made my room for the day, when I came back the bathroom was cleaned again, I had fresh towels, and the bed had been turned down.

The staff of the hotel - especially the maids, are great.

All the rooms I have stayed in had a great view of wooded areas. The couch makes a great place to sit and read.

The main part of the hotel has a very nice lodge-type look in the lobby. There is modestly priced valet parking and easy self-parking. The actual rooms are spread out along long corridors. This makes for a bit of a walk but guarantees just about every room has a nice view of the woods.

The rooms show some signs of wear, but all in all, this is a safe bet; especially if you'll be near the Galleria.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The mattress
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank UTAustin
Virginia
Reviewed December 13, 2007

I have to disagree with the bad reviews--the hotel is admittedly in 1970s building but is beautifully decorated inside (you never really notice the exterior, frankly), spotlessly clean, and has excellent service. A very minor mistake in misinforming us of the time for a shuttle was rectified with champagne and stawberries and a letter from the manager--really far beyond what was necessary. The resturants are excellent, and the place really is like an oasis in downtown Houston. The posts about the bathroom size are correct--I really have had bigger on a cruise ship. Overall the place is excellent.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank Epic-epicure
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed December 5, 2007

I booked a "king" room at this hotel for my husband and I for a long weekend to visit family in the area. I must admit that it is not the easiest of hotels to locate unless one is very familiar with the area. However, once on the grounds this low-rise oasis is well worth the effort. The staff was very pleasant, from the valet, to the doorman, to the reservation clerk, the restaurant personnel, and even the cleaning staff. The hotel was decorated for the Christmas season which I feel added to the beauty of the lobby. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean and quiet. The bath is a bit small compared to others but adequate. There are walking/jogging trails around the grounds. I saw at least 3 pools, the largest had a waterfall and a slide. There is a huge fitness facility with every conceivable machine and free weights. In addition there are fitness classes available. We only ate breakfast at the hotel because of our busy schedule but it was delicious all 3 days. The hotel grounds were well maintained. Walking around the acreage, you certainly don't feel like you are in a big city. Unfortunately, our busy schedule did not allow time to partake of the spa. Our room had a mini bar, a safe for valuables, the television was adequate, and so were the bath amenities. One word of caution: there is a separate shelf in the bath that has spa amenities that you can purchase. The price of each item is listed, but I wouldn't suggest that you can sample them for free. So beware: if you use them you will be charged. Extra fluffy pillows and an extra blanket were provided. Also a hair dryer was provided and even an umbrella for those unexpected Houston showers. One morning while using the hair dryer the breaker for the power in the bath blew out. My husband called down to the front desk and a maintenance person was dispatched within 5 minutes. Would I recommend this hotel? Without a doubt! Will we stay there again? Definitely. Only the next time we stay at the Houstonian I will make certain that I bring some workout clothing for the fitness center plus book the spa for a treatment.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Junie13
Sunny Los Angeles
Reviewed November 26, 2007

Had the pleasure of staying at the Houstonian for a business meeting in September.

The rooms are fabulously comfortable and the staff quite helpful and accomodating.

Dinner at the Manor House was first rate. I highly recommend this property.

Stayed September 2007