“Not the quality I expected”

Motel 6 Houston Medical Center - Reliant Park
Ranked #380 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed March 27, 2007

We stayed during the HLSR the March 15 and 16, 2007. It was definitely not the quality we expected. The room was to be non-smoking but it wasn't. I bought a can of lysol to help correct which it did some. Also it was definitely not as clean as it should have been. Hair in the sink, we also found a small pill on the floor (looked to be a cold medicine type pill but who knows). We then sprayed everything in sight with lysol. We only slept there as our days were completely consumed with our HLSR activities. We were scheduled to stay a third night but gave up our reservation and moved to another hotel. Parking is a real problem if there during a busy time as we were. Not enough parking spaces for all the vehicles.
People were parking in the fire zone as no where to park. I definitely wouldn't stay there again. Between cleanliness, the parking, and the smoking room I wouldn't give this hotel a chance again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed February 10, 2007

When we got to our room and there was long black hair all over the bathroom floor and bathtub and a skidmark in the toilet. When we decided to go to bed, we got under the sheets and there was a pair of someone else's dirty socks! The maid had just made the beds with the SAME SHEETS someone else had slept on!! There was dried blood on the bedspread and a cockroach. We got in so late and were so exhausted, we had to sleep there, all the other hotels were booked solid so we weren't about to venture out looking for another room at midnight...well into the night there was a fight in front of our door, people yelling cursing and slamming doors. There was plenty of hot water for a shower, but the tub drain was stopped up so you had to stand in 1/2 tub full of water.
At 9am we ventured in to get some coffee and complain (There wasn't even a manager or asst. manager on duty!!) For breakfast: there was no creamer, they were out of almost everything..no eggs or fruit and the person working the "breakfast" was so slow we had to clean off a table to eat and ask for plates and utensils from the front desk. All that was available to eat was corn flakes, plain waffles or toast, yogurt and some prepackaged cherry danishes. LAZY STAFF! this place and just plain GROSED ME OUT!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank corpusnativeyippee
Reviewed January 16, 2007

We arrived late and although we had called ahead to confirm everything was OK, our reservations were mishandled and the manager on duty tried to convince us there were no rooms available rather than believe we had reservations. Then just as we settled in to sleep we received a call asking if the room was OK. If it had not been so late, I might have said: The bathroom smelled like smoke and the plumbing made very strange noises. (Our other party experienced a plumbing back up and had to change rooms.) The carpeting was threadbare near the bathroom with an exposed carpet tack strip. The TV did not seem to work - no menu or guide. The air never cut off. Free cold breakfast. Tough neighborhood, hotel is right next to I-610 so make sure to get a room on the opposite side. Recommend staying here only if you must be close to the hospital (free shuttles starting at 7am) or the stadium for a low price. Worst La Quinta I have stayed in. Other reviews may be out of date.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dthurney
Reviewed December 31, 2006

Stayed at the La Quinta Reliant/Medical Center for 1 night in December. There are many positives--This is a large hotel with a totally warm, cozy, comfortable lobby . My room was super clean, well kept up, oversized, and included a fridge and microwave. The windows opened (my biggest request is to have the windows open). They gave me a nice room on the first floor, which is always my preference. I shopped around and got an excellent price on the LaQuinta website. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful with directions and suggestions. There's plenty of free parking and the neighborhood is very safe. It's not too far to drive to downtown Houston, but I wish there was close public transportation to avoid the drive. There were some other drawbacks, as well. The breakfast was packed with about 20 people trying to make waffles, get coffee, etc... Get there early if you don't want to wait in line!! The pool was small and uninviting, off to the side of the parking lot with no atmosphere. I can't imagine anyone would ever swim there. There's no Internet station which I miss because I don't bring a laptop. It's a little hard to find the first time because Houston is all freeways and one way streets. But once you get the hang of the roads, it's not too bad. The hotel was kind of noisy with other guests and some sort of loudspeaker sounds coming from the car lot next door. If you want a quiet stay, this is not the choice. Maybe you could get a room facing the back. As I said in my other Houston hotel review, it's nice for a quick stay if you just want a clean hotel for a stopover. Please email me if you have any questions, JenPerna@aol.com.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2006

This hotel is not what these reviews say--I stayed there because the reviews looked great. However, the customer service was non-existent and the room smelled smoky, although it was non-smoking. The pool was extremely small, and closed for one whole day. The front desk did not know why. Choose a different La Quinta.

• Stayed: July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sjh0101
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2006

We moved from California to West Virginia for F.Y.I. Ok when we drove into the parking lot..I admit I was nervous. They had the front lobby doors taped off for painting..a little more nervous. Thats where it ended. The lobby is clean cool and has fresh appearance. The lovely clerk signed me in right away and pointed out our room on the 2nd floor. There is an elevator nearby (old but steady) Our room is gorgeous. Obviously upgraded recently. The countertops are spotless. The bathroom is spotless as well. Tile on floor all appears new. The bed is super comfy and there is a lot of room for my 2 cats, a litter box and their food. Only bummer was the fact that there was no remote for the tv. Couldnt find it anywhere. The front desk said I could come pick one up...but that wasnt what I wanted to hear & we were going out to dinner anyway. That is the only downfall. The cleaning crew amazed me. This looked like a room that had just been opened. Not a spec of dust or a nasty hair left behind. The carpet even felt clean. They had a good crew to update these rooms. No crappy grout marks or globs of sealer...done very well. This is a diamond in the rough. Dont let the outside appearance scare you. They are spending the money on the inside.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 25, 2006

I traveled for a work conference, and budget cuts mean more modest accomodations. I was not prepared for the genuinely warm hospitality of the staff here at La Quinta - Reliant/Medical Center. Every call to the front desk/operator was answered before the first ring was complete. The maintainence foreman DROVE TO THE STORE to get fresh batteries for my TV remote - literally left right then, and apologized for my wait. In a town where leather shoes can mildew overnight due to 70%+ humidity - the ability to dehumidify and cool is not to be underestimated. This A/C was so effective I did something I almost NEVER do....turned down the fan and temperature.

Several of the guests while I was there were quite visibly ill (perhaps from Chemo at MD Anderson). I witnessed several acts of genuine compassion that were just spontaneous generosity by staff members. That - and the proximity of the property to the world-renowned hospitals and clinics in the Medical District makes this a no-brainer choice for those who don't have $100-200/night for the Marriott. Indeed, there's no reason to spend the money. My conference was there, and colleagues who DID stay ther did nothing but complain about their hotel. I laughed all the way back to my perfectly clean (I mean eat-off-the-bathroom-counter clean!), comfortable room.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business