“pretty easy to get to MD Anderson”

Motel 6 Houston Medical Center - Reliant Park
Ranked #373 of 510 Hotels in Houston
austin
“pretty easy to get to MD Anderson”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Booked two rooms for self and family for MD Anderson visit. It was easy to find hotel and a fairly easy drive to hospital. We left so early in the morning that we did not see the breakfast. My room was clean, the beds are very firm yet comfortable, but there was a small amount of mold in the tile grout around bathtub. It also seemed to have something going on in the corner of the ceiling right over the bathtub...looked like it had been painted over. We arrived around 9pm and check in was efficient, their seemed to be lots of men milling around in/near lobby and our stairs, just standing and drinking beer, they were not boisterous, and did not bother us. It's kind of creepy on the back side, feels isolated and I didn't like the fact that there isn't any place to eat nearby. I understand the motel has a shuttle to MD Anderson and we may return to this motel if we can't find anything better on our next visits- but I would ask for rooms on first floor and nearer to the front next time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AustinTrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Finnish first
Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2009

This is an older property that has recently been renovated. The reviews from years ago should be discounted or removed. Friendly staff, free breakfast, free shuttle to medical center, clean room. The one big flaw for this hotel is that it is located on the feeder road of a major interstate freeway. There is noise but they have tried to buffer that with a tall fence between the freeway and the hotel. We were in a room that faced the freeway and I was a little concerned when we checked in, but it was a non issue and had no problems with the heater/ac unit running. This is NOT a luxury hotel. But it provides a great value for your money. I don't think there is a better hotel for the money anywhere in the Texas Medical Center area. If you are here for an appointment in the medical center ask reservations about a discount. My hospital has arranged for a discount even lower than the modest rate quoted online. We will be staying here again this week and in the future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nolookingback
Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The front desk lady was VERY rude! we had to wait 45 min for our room we already booked previous because they hadn't cleaned it yet. When we finally got the key to go to our room.. i open the door to someone else's room. How do you give a occupied room key out to someone? dumb! Now they charged me 2 times and i called and started to talk, the lady put me on hold for 15 min so i hung up and have been trying ever since.. no answer.. place needs to be shut down!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kkedel
okieland
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We have stayed in a broad range of hotels over the past three years in the medical center area, and this is our overall favorite based on cleanliness, service, and price.

This hotel is a great value for medical center travelers. Their website says it has been recently renovated. The room looked cheerful and was big enough for three adults and two children, including a roll-away bed. It was clean and didn't smell moldy. (Moldy a/c seems to be the norm in Houston, and we always bring our allergy meds as a precaution.) The tub and toilet are enclosed, but the sink area is open to the main room and has a wide counter with open space underneath for storage.

The shuttle runs from 7a to 7p and covers a 2-mile radius. The drivers are kind and knowledgable about the medical center as well as the surrounding area. (Medical travelers take note: after-hours rides are no longer available from medical center security.)

The breakfast is carb-heavy but includes fresh fruit and hard-boiled eggs. Next time we plan to take advantage of the microwave & fridge to stock up on pre-cooked bacon or sausage : )

The location offers convenient access to the medical center, Rice University, and the museum district as well as Reliant Stadium. Being off the 610 loop means it's easy to head off in other directions as well. We stayed on the side away from the freeway and didn't have any problems with noise.

The pool is small but nice-looking. We didn't get to use it. There was a coin-op washer and dryer on our floor near the elevator ($1.50 per load). The only thing lacking is public access computers, but I was able to survive four days without checking my email.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank chowfunn
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I don't understand why there are so many bad reviews for this hotel, my experience staying at this La Quinta was spot on.

I only stayed for two nights starting April 4th and chose the hotel as it was the closest hotel I could get to the Reliant Stadium as I was going there for Wrestlemania 25. I arrived at the hotel about 8pm and pon walking into reception I was greeted by a young girl who gave me my room key quickly so I wasn't hanging around. She told me the best way of getting to the room. It still took me quite a while to get to my room as I think I took a wrong turn somewhere, but it was nice to go exploring round the hotel rooms anyway, and I eventually found the quickest way to my room.

My room was number 211, and I was very happy to find that it was a fantastic size for one person, probably a great size for two. The bed was big, the bathroom was a good size, the sofa was nice and the TV was great, right at the end of the bed so I could lie in bed watching the Hall Of Fame at 9! I didn't use the fridge, microwave or iron/board, but they were also included in the room. I only paid £6 more a night for this deluxe suite rather than getting the standard room (which was already a very good price) and for the extra space it was certainly worth it. The room was VERY clean, not a speck of dust anywhere, and so was the bed, which was very comfy. Wireless internet worked perfectly, I was able to connect on my iPhone in a couple of minutes and it was very fast. The room was also very quiet too, so I got two good nights sleep!

The next morning I was up in time for breakfast, and they had a nice selection of muffins, toast and juices. I tried to make my own waffle, but had to get some help from a hotel worker, who was more than happy to help. I didn't wake up early enough the next morning, which was a shame, as the waffle was great!

The housekeeper then came to my room about 9:15am, I said I was leaving the room for the day in about an hour, she said that was fine and would come back then. She didn't kick up a fuss and was perfectly fine about it.

Walking to the Reliant Stadium was very easy from the hotel (although I find walking across US roads a lot harder than here in the UK!), I walked under a bridge and could spot the stadium straight away, so I walked towards it. It took about 30 minutes to get there and the same to get back, which is exactly what I wanted so I wasn't messing about and wasting money with taxis.

Came back to my room after Wrestlemania, and my bedsheets and towels had been changed, it was like coming into a new room again, great stuff. Checking out was very easy and quick too, I handed in my keycards about 11:30 on the 6th, and because I had prepaid for the room they checked my details and said that was fine and they hoped I had enjoyed my stay. Simple! I asked if I could leave my bags at reception so I could go out for a couple of hours to walk around and look for somewhere to eat, they were fine with that, and I left my bags at the back of the reception desk and headed out.

The surrounding area isn't very good; there isn't much to see and do, the shops are pretty rubbish, but of course thats not the hotel's fault! I would suggest renting a car or getting a taxi and drive out of the area to see better attractions and shops. I just stayed in the area and got some McDonalds before heading back to the hotel for 3pm when my Shuttle was picking me up to take me to the airport.

Overall I was very happy with the hotel, and was very pleased that I chose it when there were so many bad reviews on here. If you are heading to Houston for an event at the Reliant Stadium, or just staying over for the weekend, and are looking for a hotel that is great value for money, I would strongly recommend this one; the room was fantastic, the staff were friendly and helpful, and great location for the Reliant Stadium. I will certainly come back to this hotel if I come back to Houston.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank misterbigalow
El Paso
Reviewed November 17, 2008

First the positive comments--good location, front desk workers were very personable.

Now the rest--my room was filthy. Even after the cleaning person finished there were lint, paper, and piled up dust in every corner. The bathroom and dressing area had what looked like chunks of dirt on the floor. There were hairballs in the bathtub leftover from a previous customer.

Only one electrical outlet and one light were working.

The bed mattresses were old and soggy.

There was a musty, wet-socks smell that permeated the room.

Get the picture?

It was a pre-paid Hotwire booking, so I was stuck with my choice.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tc111