“The old bait and switch”

Hyatt Regency North Houston
Ranked #82 of 507 Hotels in Houston
Montrose, Colorado
“The old bait and switch”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Booked a room via Priceline two months in advance. Got there to find they had no rooms available for us and another family who booked through expedia. They did however have a room available for over two hundred fifty dollars if we wanted to pay full price. They gave us a voucher for another hotel and a free phone call, WOW. The other hotel was not to the standards of the one we thought we were going to stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Teresa S, General Manager at Hyatt Regency North Houston, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for choosing and making your reservation with us. We sincerely apologize for the unexpected change of your accommodation plans upon your arrival at the hotel. It is not our practice nor our intentions to deny any of our valued guests accommodations however at times due to unforeseen circumstances on the day of your arrival we find ourselves with limited or no other options but to find alternate hotel options. Guests who book our hotel through Priceline or any of our valued partners are treated the way same as those who book their reservations direct with us. Your feedback on how we handled your reservation provides us invaluable information on how we can better service all our guests and we will use your example as a further training and couching agenda item.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed here over night due to a United Airline's flight delay ( again). The hotel is clean and about 6=7 miles from the airport. Bed was comfy and bathroom was spacious. There was very little hot water in the morning for a shower and there was some type of construction going on very early in the morning, a rude awakening.The hotel is very dark, very little light comes in and the lighting is very low. But other than that is was a clean comfortable stay.

2 Thank ES727
Teresa S, General Manager at Hyatt Regency North Houston, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review of our property. We understand that having flights cancelled or missed is a very distressing issue, and we try our best to insure that no stress is added when arriving to our hotel.. I do apologize for the early construction and I hope that this was not too much of an inconvenience for you in the morning. I do hope that next time you are in Houston you will choose our hotel to stay with.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I booked this hotel literally at the last minute due to smoking issues with the previous one. I arrived and a smiling agent efficiently checked me in and I was glad to find out that the hotel was all non-smoking. My room was large, clean, newly decorated, and because they were renovating the bar I even got a voucher for a free glass of wine--which I used!

The internet was reliable and I slept soundly in that comfortable bed. As an overnight guest this room was perfect but I would not want to be in longer simply because it overlooked an enclosed lobby with no direct access to daylight. That would have been the only issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window to the outside
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank TorontoRobDT
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of our hotel. I am glad to see that our hotel met all your needs and you enjoyed our temporary bar. I hope that you will be able to come back and see the new bar once we are finished. We look forward to having you back again at our hotel. Thank you again.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this Hyatt, which was conveniently close to the IAH airport. The frost desk staff were incredibly nice and helpful. I had a really tough day at work before checking in late Monday night around 10pm and was immediately cheered-up by Kimberly at the front desk - who was unbelievably sweet and helpful while I checked in. The rooms were very clean and the beds were fantastic. Really made a difference after those long days at work. Lastly, the breakfast buffet was a real pleasant surprise, with many options including huevos ranchero, french toast, belgian waffles, etc just during the three days I was there. Will absolutely be staying here again if I need to visit Houston for work.

1 Thank Joshua S
We truly appreciate your review of our hotel. I am glad to see that our hotel and our staff met all of your needs and helped take some of the stress off of those tough days. Kimberly is a valued team member and I am glad to see her service was noticed.. We hope to see you again next time you are in Houston.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Hyatt North Houston has a friendly professional staff that handles all your needs. Rosa in house keeping is just lovely, friendly and kind. Jake the manager works hard to please and bring the best of the Hyatt to those who stay there. Front desk staff is fantastic. Kimberly, Melissa and Long do a great job checking people in quick. It can get really busy with a huge group checking in and they do a great job keeping it moving. John the van driver stays late to do runs to the airport when you need. Enoc does a lovely job in the restaurant bringing excellent food very quick. The chef is super friendly and always offers to bring me whatever I need. Beautiful big room overlooking the spacious lobby. Thanks guys for the great stay and the support over a long visit.

Room Tip: 7th floor is really nice... Rooms that face the lobby seem to be bigger and have bigger windows the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Teresa S, General Manager at Hyatt Regency North Houston, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
We truly appreciate your review of our hotel and staff members. It is great to see that so staff members made that kind of impression during your time here. I am glad we were able to make our hotel feel like your home away from home. Please come back and see us next time you are in Houston.
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This hotel is fairly close to IAH and offers a free shuttle to and from the airport so good for airport stays. This is a fairly typical business-oriented Hyatt suited mainly for business travelers and conferences. As a leisure guest staying for four nights, I sort of felt out of place wearing shorts and not carrying a laptop or cell phone with me. Hotel is currently being remodeled so the lobby is sort of a mess but clean and refreshing none the less. Check-in was pretty easy though it can be a bit confusing and crowded right by the front doors if a lot of guests come at once. A few times guests cut right in front of me because they were rude and because the hotel needs a roping system on busy days. I was placed at the end of a hall on the first floor which is one floor below the lobby and in general a very quiet floor, which was great. The floor below this is the banquet level where the gym is located and the hotel has a nice assortment of new equipment, my wife was very happy. The pool and hottub are located outside the property to the left of the front doors and off of the parking lot. Not sure how quiet or relaxing it is on busy days but the hottub was hot and clean and the pool, though not as pretty as the website picture, was not a cement pool like most hotels and did have nice chairs and a waterfall, though they were not working at this time as it is too cold outside. I did not eat at the hotel as it is way too expensive but room service has a good breakfast selection, burgers, salads, and light dishes for lunch, and a nice Texas themed dinner menu including ribs and steak. This menu is not much different from the downtown Houston Hyatt Regency. The hotel has a business center with Macs and a printer and a large bar area downstairs for tired or naughty business travelers. Newspapers are provided everyday by the front door and although I would have preferred newspaper delivery like I get at most other Hyatts, it was not that big a deal. The hotel missed servicing my room one day and I had to catch a housekeeper in the hall who did not speak good english as I asked her for three big towels and she first gave me two washcloths and two hand towels. I gave those back and again asked for three big towels and she brought me two big towels and some shampoo. I later had to get my wife to go back to the front desk for two more big towels so that was a little bit of a hassle. Otherwise, I would definitely tell the front desk you want service everyday. I tried to call the front desk numerous times from my room but no one ever answered so that was a little scary, though I did get my wake-up call so the phone did work. The light outside my room went out during my stay and stayed out for three days so attention to detail a bit lacking. Also the guest phone outside the elevator on the 1st floor was also not working so in case of an emergency you are out of luck, again very scary for women travelers. No microwave or refrigerator in the room so I would bring a refrigerator bag and some ziplock and use the ice machine as a cooler. It keeps drinks and non-dairy items cold enough and you only have to change the ice out about once a day, though you do have to like to eat cold food or pizza. Internet is also not free but I had my own internet stick so it did not matter. Wireless is free in the lobby but not convenient to sit in your pajamas. The best part of this hotel is the bed itself, they are warm and comfortable and I got a great sleep every night and the showerheads, just right and very relaxing. For a great room and a great sleep this is your hotel. Outside the room is wanting and a little boring for leisure guests but for business travelers they are too busy to care. I still like Hyatt places and Hyatt resorts better so this is why I give an average rating because for the money they are easily better hotels just like Homewood suites. Honestly, I think Hyatt needs to standardize all of their hotels to the Hyatt Place level of amenities so guests are not surprised when going to different properties at what to expect. Lastly, not a lot of restaurants around the hotel other than McDonalds around the corner so we ended up driving 5-10 miles back to the city to eat at the nicer places, which gets old fast as traffic and construction in this part of town are pretty bad all the time. However, there's always that $12 burger on the room service menu and $6 bottle of water in your room so I guess you won't starve.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room and the end of the hall has no traffic as there is just a fire escape. I liked...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OneHonestReviewer
Thank you so much for your informative review of our property. I am glad to see that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities our hotel has to offer. I hope that feeling out of place did not affect your stay and that you noticed that whether you are in a suit or shorts we still provide the same great service. Come back in see us after the renovations are finished so you can enjoy the new and improved lobby and bar.
Tippecanoe, Indiana
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Front desk staff is wonderful, especially Kimberly, Melissa, and Long! They go above and beyond to help their customers. Restaurant has excellent food and very nice staff! Shuttle drivers do an awesome job, Deji, John, and John work really hard to get passengers to and from the airport on time.

1 Thank Chris M
Thank you for taking the time to recognize our hotels staff members. They all work hard and take pride in what they do, and it is great to see that this does not go unnoticed. Thank you again and please come back and see all of us at Hyatt North Houston.