“Dropped the Ball”

Ranked #86 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Dropped the Ball”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I attempted to stay at the Hyatt Houston North after a flight cancellation left me stranded in Houston late at night. The United Airlines agent who booked my room was told there would be an approximately 30-minute wait for he shuttle. I immediately went to the ground transportation waiting area. In 40 minutes, the shuttle had not arrived, so I called the hotel. The employee who answered said that the shuttle driver had returned from his last run and would not be making any more runs, and I should just get United to pay for a taxi for me. When I returned to the United agent, she called the hotel and was told that the shuttle driver came but I was not there, when in fact I never left ground transportation. After a long day of international travel, I was exhausted, stressed, and in tears at this point. The United agent was instead able to book a room for me at the Hilton Houston North, where they were exceptionally friendly and helpful, and promptly sent a shuttle for me. I will never consider the Hyatt Houston North for accommodations during my frequent travels to Houston. This experience was beyond a disappointment, it was a travesty.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lisa U
Gabriel W, Manager at Hyatt Regency North Houston, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Lisa U,

I would like to profusely apologize for the issue that you experienced attempting to get transportation from the airport. We understand that having flights cancelled or missed is a very distressing issue, and it was not our intent to exacerbate your frustrations. I cannot apologize enough for the trouble it caused you, and I am glad to hear that your stay went well at the Hilton.

Gabriel Wall,
Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed November 25, 2012

If you want to meet a pilot, this is the place. Otherwise, it is not so hot. I waited over an hour for the shuttle to pick me up (I was first told 20 minutes and called after forty. I was told it would take another ten minutes and it was another 20). I had a room on the first floor under reception. I heard people in the halls and walking above me all night, whenever anybody came. The ice machine was broken. The tv had something unplugged for which the engineer had to be called.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the first floor, especially under the reception area if you want to sleep at n...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Gabriel W, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency North Houston, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear sandra s,

I would like to apologize for the excessively long shuttle pick up time you experienced and the trouble that you had with your guestroom. It is clear that we fell short of your expectations and that your room was not in acceptable working order when you checked in. We constantly strive to improve our hotel and services, and I thank you for providing this feedback. You have helped identify areas that we are not performing well in so that we can do better moving forward. I appreciate your comments and thank you for staying with us. I hope you are willing to give us a second chance to impress you.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Generally speaking I am a fan of Hyatt Hotels. Like a lot Hyatt locations, the exterior of the building was dated, but the interior had been recently updated and featured contemporary styling. As for the location, I have seen others call it an airport hotel but I would consider that a stretch. If airport proximity is a key factor I think there are better options. An airport hotel to me is either visible from the airport or on a nearby surface street, getting to this hotel was a 15 minute journey with freeway travel. Upon arrival, I was welcomed warmly and while the desk agent was not able to recommend a local restaurant, by the time I arrived in my room she was calling with a suggestion. My TV did not work properly but was quickly fixed after a call to the front desk, however I don't think the picture is HD and the quality was poor while watching some college football (I've noticed a lot of Hyatt locations that don't seem to have HD). The bed and bathroom were fine and standard to most updated Hyatt locations. I find the Hyatt beds to be comfortable, a little firm which is how I like it. My hotel room overlooked the atrium and I was on the sixth floor. There was a wedding function on the ground floor and the sound from it was a bit annoying while I was trying to sleep (early flight the next morning). Getting a room that faces away from the atrium would have probably prevented that from being an issue. I also suspect there would not be a lot of functions during the week. Please understand that my 3-star rating is not meant to be negative, I consider the hotel average and would consider staying here again. Weekend rate was a good value.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces exterior of building, not atrium.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Gabriel W, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency North Houston, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Brian_Worldwide,

Thank you for your recent review. Though you found our hotel acceptable, it is always our goal to "wow" our guests. I am sorry about your TV not working upon check in and the poor picture quality. I would also like to apologize for noise issue you experienced. I am happy to hear that you would be willing to stay again and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed one night in a few hotels in Houston near IAH for business and haven't been too impressed. Mainly the location has been a factor and I just haven't felt that safe. I thought this hotel was definitely above the rest. It's a little strange, for example the window in my room over looked the lobby and bar. Room was big and clean. Nice bathroom. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Kelly B,

I am glad you find our hotel better than the rest in the area, if not unique in its layout. I am glad to hear that you would stay again and you enjoyed our rooms. Thank you so much for your feedback and we hope you return soon.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Needed an escape and decided to visit some friends in Houston, TX. Took my mother along which necessitated finding a hotel with a special access type room. Did my starting bid on priceline and snagged this hotel on the first shot in the airport zone. I knew the area, because I'd lived in Houston before, but wasn't familiar with this property.

As Priceline doesn't list rooms specifically for special access, I dropped into the hotel first after landing and asked for such a room, explaining that my mother was in the car and I wanted to grab one now. The lady was extremely night and secured me room 320, asking that I check it out and to let her know if I liked it.

Threw our stuff in the room, felt that it was kind of cold and promptly turned up the thermostat before rushing to meet my friend for dinner and a quick trip down to Galveston.

When we returned 3 hours later, the room still felt cold so I cranked up the thermostat to 80, put my mother to bed and hopped into my bed. Although the fan was roaring, that room never warmed up, in fact my mother complained that it was getting colder. So I just cut the thing off and we just shivered under our sheets until we fell asleep.

Yes, I could have called the front desk, but we were too tired, I didn't want to come from out of those sheets, I was just mad that it wasn't working right in the first place and I didn't want anyone to disturb my mother. So I said all of that to say, check the thermostat at the hotel, if it isn't working call the front desk immediately.

Now:
Location: This hotel is about 5 minutes from the airport and about 3 minutes from the rental car center. It is located amongst a bunch of low-rise office buildings and there are numerous other hotels of equal or lower caliber within two blocks of it. There is not a lot of food places directly nearby, however there is a shopping center about a mile up near I-45.

Lobby: Definitely a business hotel with a two level lobby, professional, not fancy.

Outside: Basically a parking lot and a building with a few trees on the border of the parking lot. The building and property looked well maintained.

Room: It was a nice size, but I wish there was more lighting. My mother loved it, because she doesn't like a lot of light. The carpet was striped and I liked the contrast between the carpet and the walls. I loved the funky very tall headboards and the furniture seem to be well maintained. The room was a decent size, although not very large.

Bed: Based on the photo the bed looks real plush. Well it was okay, but not plush to be and I never quite got comfortable. Plush with the room being cold, the thick duvet didn't make me feel toasty, the way I like.

Bathroom: This place really was nice. In many hotels we've visited we either get the tub with a shower chair (okay, but not the safest), a tub with a bench that let's down from the wall and makes a seating surface (much better), a shower stall with a shower chair (better because not climbing over the tub wall). In this place it was a wet room where the bathroom floor and shower floor are one and the same with a little hump to reduce the water from flowing onto the rest of the bathroom floor. It had both a shower seat as well as a fold out from the wall bench to sit on.

The extendable and detachable wand shower head was a hit with my mother because she could shower herself, with a lot less help from me. She said for me to get one for her.

Other: The internet service was more than $10, I was quite surprised since even cheap hotels provide it for free. I reviewed the breakfast buffet and it looked good for about $16, but I love the Rio Ranch Restaurant buffet and took my mother there instead.

Overall: I still rate it a very good hotel, because I could have solved the heating issue, but was too tired and lazy to do so. So I suffered at my inaction. Yes, it should have been working properly, but I didn't contribute to improving the experience by just calling downstairs. Oh yes, they've got a ton of road construction in that area, which is a bit of a mess.

GPS LOCATION is N29 56 29.27, W95 24 06.74

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gabriel W, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency North Houston, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Lifetraveler1,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that you found our location to be convenient and our service pleasurable. I would like to apologize for your heating unit in your room not working properly, and it is not your fault that you did not call the issue into us. It is our responsibility to provide rooms in good working condition. I am glad to see how well our accessible room was able to accomodate you and your mother. I thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again in the near future.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 8, 2012

A day trip to Houston turned into a sleepless overnight trip. After a long day of visiting with family we decided it was to late to drive home to San Antonio , so we booked a room through Expedia. When we check in we were not greeted or welcomed. It seemed like a chore to the lady at the front desk to fake a smile. Was not impressed. At check out we received the same kind of hurry up and get out of my face attitude. The room was nice but small. There was paint over spray on the desk, the shower head was a yellowish color and the cover was not secure to the tile. The bed and bedding were horrible. If the bed was a pillow top I could not tell. The bed and pillows were hard and lumpy and seemed to be very old. The down duvet was worn and was more like a sheet. So falling a sleep was not a easy task. Needless to say I was very disappointed. On the bright side, yes there was one, our dinner from room service was very good and the breakfast buffet was just as good. I will not stay here again but next time we're in town I might stop in for lunch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gabriel W, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency North Houston, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear meldiaz01,

I am very sorry to hear about your sleepless night. It is unacceptable that your reception to the hotel was so curt and your departure was equally as poor. I am glad to know that your dining experience was wonderful, and we do hope to see you back at our property, even if it is just for a lunch. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Southeast
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Traveling with my 100 lb. lab. Checked in after a long trip from C.R. The staff was great, gave us a room near a side entrance convenient to a large grassy area to walk my dog. Food in restaurant was above average. Would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Gabriel W, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency North Houston, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear tico_traveler1,

Thank you so much for your positive comments regarding our property. I am glad that we were able to accomodate you and your dog. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and that you would stay with us in the future. I hope to see you soon!