“Noisy rooms, rates way too high”

Sheraton Suites Houston Near The Galleria
Ranked #151 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Lately (first quarter of 2014) the rates have been insanely high, but on par with most of the hotels in the immediate Galleria area. I understand the nature of competitive rates, but rates should reflect, at least in part, the quality of the hotel. The rates I've experienced so far this year at this Sheraton are far too high for what you get.

The location is decent if you can easily navigate the 610 access roads and Texas-turnarounds (as you can only access the hotel via the 610 access road). A minute drive to the Galleria and a couple of minutes drive to at least 100 restaurants and stores. Also, very easy access to highway 59.

I booked a Deluxe Suite. I attempted to discern what separates a "Deluxe" from a regular suite, but I think I failed. All rooms seem to be exactly the same. The only item in the online description of the Deluxe Suite that differs is "Deluxe Bath Amenities". This got me excited! Maybe something better than the typical Sheraton stuff that leaves a lot to be desired. Nope. Same stuff. Ugh.

The lobby is nice. A few areas well set up to sit with your colleagues to chat and/or pound away on your laptop for a bit. My confusion progressed after getting to my room. Everywhere you read, they tout their recent big buck renovation. Maybe my room missed out? I really don't see it. Everything, while certainly not in horrible condition, is outdated by at least ten years.

Lastly, my room had a door connecting it to the room next door. Certainly super convenient for people who rent adjoining rooms, but not me. I could hear everything this guy did, including flushing the toilet. You should also know that they desk in my room just so happened to be placed right next to this door--so my neighbor surely was able to hear every single part of the 10 some-odd conference calls I took from my room.

Parking is $16 overnight with in/out privileges. Funny thing, though - I went in/out several times and the gates were always open.

I'd much rather stay at one of the other Galleria properties.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room that does not have a door connecting to the room next door.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed March 31, 2014

they advertised multi million dollar remodel but didn't see it. Fairly nice looking rooms and great separate suites to sit but 2 TV's was excessive and when you turned one tv on with remote, both came on (kind of strange). The rooms were very clean but the lobby was dull and the reception was not too friendly. I expected the lobby to be something special but it wasn't. As for Sheraton's internet request they were a waste of time. The receptionist said they did not receive any of them. It was our 29th anniversary and I had requested a lower room and champagne and strawberry's in room upon arrival; 2 minor request I thought but none was done and we were put on 12th floor out of 15. not too low. It started out bad with the lack of service so our attitudes didn't change the whole trip. Obviously we will not be staying there again. It was close to galleria but so are many other great choice hotels.

Room Tip: talk to a person; internet is useless.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChipNewton
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Conveniently Located Near Galleria. Suites are okay lack of space. Lobby is small and unplanned. Staff is quite helpful except one female staff who had attitude problem. I stayed in 1115 between 6 March till 11 Mar. I spoke to one guest relations staff for some specific requirement while cleaning the room and she was very very helpful and cooperative. Compare to their Room rent it's good value for money. Recommended.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arshadwm
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We took a suite, it was spacious and well furnished . The hotel is quiet old. The club option is limited , a few snacks and the wines offered for the “happy hours” are quite expensive . However the club lounge it is fine for a continental breakfast. The location is perfect, as closed to the galleria. All together a good option if you want to stay downtown Houston , for a quite reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Hotel

First the hotel: old style room, clean, excellent coffee machine in room. 2 TVs in room, one of them didn't work. A bit noisy if your room is on the freeway side. Walking distance to galleria, although most people don't walk in Houston, where you find many places to eat and drink (much better than in the hotel).

Now the poor service. Had to call twice to get the safe fixed. Front desk staff not helpful at all and felt a bit arrogant. I was told the free shuttle service starts only 7 but was given a lift at 6:45. Great but I felt the driver was expecting me to pay him.

All in all, average but wouldn't stay there again unless I have to. It used to be much better 5 years ago when I visited the place.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank N A
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I got here on Saturday night, after checking out of the terrible Sam Houston. We stayed two nights. The shower was kind of old, and sprayed water everywhere. And the toilet, if the door was open, was impossible to reach the toilet paper. This hotel is good for business,not relaxation.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lord H
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had not planned to be in Houston needing a hotel room, but sometimes things work out that way. Princess Cruises assigned us to this hotel and we did not pay for it, they did.

The room was spacious, clean, and well stocked. One of the nicer rooms I have ever been in. It is walking distance from the Galleria, so that is a plus. This hotel has one of those elevator systems that requires the key card to operate it. When the key cards don't work, then this system ceases to be a security feature and becomes an annoyance and hinderance.

The breakfast buffet is $20 per person. A cup of coffee is $3, orange juice $4. We left after drinking our $9 (with tip) beverages. The price surprises me as there are so many hotels that offer good breakfast buffets as complimentary with a night's stay.

The front desk staff was adequate. They were neither mean or friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J W L
SSHG, Director of Sales at Sheraton Suites Houston Near The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We would like to thank you for providing us the insight about the experience you encountered during your stay with us; in particular the restaurant pricing and the issues with your room key's not functioning in the elevator's.

We have shared your candid comments with all of our team members so that we may be able to create memorable moments versus an experience such as the one you have brought to our attention.

Again thank you for the comments and for helping us improve our service.

With warmth,