Sheraton Suites Houston Near The Galleria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Crete, Illinois
“Just OK”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had not planned to be in Houston needing a hotel room, but sometimes things work out that way. Princess Cruises assigned us to this hotel and we did not pay for it, they did.

The room was spacious, clean, and well stocked. One of the nicer rooms I have ever been in. It is walking distance from the Galleria, so that is a plus. This hotel has one of those elevator systems that requires the key card to operate it. When the key cards don't work, then this system ceases to be a security feature and becomes an annoyance and hinderance.

The breakfast buffet is $20 per person. A cup of coffee is $3, orange juice $4. We left after drinking our $9 (with tip) beverages. The price surprises me as there are so many hotels that offer good breakfast buffets as complimentary with a night's stay.

The front desk staff was adequate. They were neither mean or friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J W L
SSHG, Director of Sales at Sheraton Suites Houston Near The Galleria, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We would like to thank you for providing us the insight about the experience you encountered during your stay with us; in particular the restaurant pricing and the issues with your room key's not functioning in the elevator's.

We have shared your candid comments with all of our team members so that we may be able to create memorable moments versus an experience such as the one you have brought to our attention.

Again thank you for the comments and for helping us improve our service.

With warmth,
JamalM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I recently stayed in Houston for business and chose the Westin Oaks at the Galleria. While that was a fine choice, this Sheraton is equally as good and might be better if not for the slightly less desirable location. The recent major renovations to this property are evident and the service is excellent - on par with Westin. There is one bellman that is mentioned a few times by name (Mozzam) and he certainly deserves it. This guy loves his job and it shows. As a SPG Gold member, I have the luxury of giving reward cards to select SPG employees when I feel they've "made my stay". I've never given one except to Mozzam. He is affable, very warm, remembers your name the next day, and is eager to take you almost anywhere in the courtesy shuttle. He'll even refuse to let you walk back to the hotel in the cold.

I gave this Sheraton 4 stars instead of 5 only for a few minor problems. While the rooms are expansive, spacious and well-appointed as suites, the layout lends itself to quite a bit of noise from adjacent rooms, especially if you have a room that joins to another. The staff tells me there are only a few rooms that don't join to others, and if I return I will make sure to get one of those. The bathroom counter is a mile long and great for families, couples, or anyone that needs to spread out. My only complaints with the bathroom are what seems to be the standard Sheraton aerator faucet, which I hate. These sink faucets make a LOT of noise when they're turned on, are hard to temperature control, and I much prefer a solid stream of water as opposed to the aeration. Also, the separate toilet and shower are cramped, and that area is very poorly lit. It was almost too dark to see inside the shower.

Breakfast is good, but I'd skip the buffet. For $5 less you can get a made-to-order omelette with potatoes and fruit. The savings is worth it since the buffet is not impressive. Think low-end hotel buffet with few choices and seemingly poor food, like a Holiday Inn Express. The menu items are of much better quality and cheaper.

Although this was a high-occupancy week for the Sheraton, a snowstorm in my hometown made my return flight impossible, so I had to stay another night at this hotel. The front desk accommodated me easily, and this was just another example of their fine service.

Green Features: Green Choice is absolutely the best thing going in the hotel industry right now.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed here w/ family for one night. We were in town for an event and this hotel (not my first choice) was given as an option by the event organizers. When I first drove up, I was a little nervous. There was nothing very distinguishing about the external appearance of the building. However, once inside, the hotel is very impressive and modern. Service was great and the rooms were incredible for the price. In contrast, the hotel that was my original first choice (family member asked if we would go somewhere less expensive) is very dated and tired by comparison, even though it is $100+ more a night. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have stayed here twice now; a 7 night stay this past summer and a 18 night stay this Dec with a family of five with three kids under 5.

I choose to stay at this hotel again in Dec because of the layout of the rooms and the price of the rooms. However, the staff are not the best.

The good:
1. Rooms- The rooms are suites in which you can have a king bed and a sleeper sofa. The thing that brings me back to this hotel with my family is the ability to close off the bedroom from the living room to create two rooms.

2. I'm usually able to get this rooms around $100 per night which is a great value for the room you get.

The Bad:
1. Parking- I hate the fact that the hotel charges for parking.

2. I actually had a valet attendant honk at me and told me not to block the front drive when I was trying to load my family into my car.

3. The maids failed to clean my room one day during my stay.

4. The lounge for SPG Platinum members should not be labeled a lounge by SPG standards.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cincoMcBrides
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

It was a great experience at the Sheraton suites with compliments of there staff and service. One member of your staff name is Moazzam and he made me confirm when ever I come back to Houston that's we're I'm staying !!!

• Stayed January 2014
Sydney
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hotel was in a great location near the Galleria, plenty of dining options and great shopping. The rooms were very clean and spacious, I liked how there was a dividing door between the bedroom area and the lounge area. The gym was also really good, and I would be happy to stay their again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The location itself was perfect. Housekeeping was on time and well done. The valet service was very prompt. Moazzam, the bell hop was also extremely helpful! Went out of his way to help myself and my family, great service! Overall a great experience.

• Stayed December 2013