Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental
Ranked #95 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Toronto, Canada
“Southern Comfort”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is an older hotel and soon will need some facelift, however our stay was very good.
We only stayed 1 night and used the hotel as our stop over, so for that purpose it worked out just fine. The staff made all the difference making it a comfortable stay. Very attentive, friendly, southern style. Didn't have much time to enjoy the outside pool and too tired to use the indoor one, however they are there to enjoy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jeff_Elkins, Front Office Manager at Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for your great feedback. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
UK
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Oh dear, not too inviting as first impressions were that it was tired and dated from the outside. On entry the reception had a horrible smell of stale greasy food that lingered throughout our stay right through the hotel. The staff were all very welcoming and booked us in efficiently and quickly. The hotel was spookily quiet. The corridors and lifts were tired and battered and the colour scheme drab. Having said that our room was fine with a nice, clean comfortable bed. The bathroom was a good size and had everything needed inc nice towels. We had a good, very quiet night's sleep and for an airport hotel that was a bonus. It's a pity that the hotel is in such a sad state. The windows throughout were dirty and blown and really in desperate need of replacement. The pool area outside looked rather nice and inviting. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again but it was fine for a night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FizzUk
Thank you for your positive words on the staff. The hotel was recently purchased and had begun an extensive renovation. We will be remodeling everything from top to bottom. This includes the rooms, halls, restaurant, bar, lobby, pool areas, and much more. I sincerely hope that if you’re in the area you stop by and see our improvements.
Granby, Connecticut
Reviewed December 5, 2012

For the price, I think it's what can be expected. The hotel's airport shuttle service was very good and took just about five or seven minutes to get to the hotel. I got lucky and it was already outside loading up when I arrived, so I had no wait. My flight was early so I had to wait for quite a while for my room to be available but enjoyed a nice soup and salad in the restaurant. The soup was actually quite good!

I chose to stay in a club level room and was glad I did. It's convenient to have water, soda, and snacks available. Breakfast was served in the club lounge and consisted of eggs, usually some sort of potato, and one morning they even had french toast. They also offerred fresh fruit and pastries, as well as the standard bread, bagels, and english muffins for toasting.

The club level room seemed to me to be identical to the standard room that I had last year. The only difference was that I had to use my card each time I needed to go to my room. Housekeeping was pretty decent, with things fairly clean. Upon check-in, I inspected the bathroom, which appeared clean. The second day I noticed a hair (mine) on the floor and left it, just wondering if it would still be there after housekeeping came. It was. The next day it was, too. In fact, I arrived back at around 2pm and my room had not yet been cleaned. Housekeeping arrived while I was back for a small break so I asked her to return in a half hour and she did.

The front desk staff - how else can I describe them but apathetic. They were there. They did the basic requirements. That's all. Nothing more and nothing less.

I attend an annual conference and if it is held at the Sheraton North Houston again, I will return. I would probably choose another property a couple of doors down if I had the choice but this property is certainly not a bad place to stay.

I read stories of bad internet connections and no hot water on other reviews before I went. I experienced neither on the 9th floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the airport if you like to see planes.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jeff_Elkins, Front Office Manager at Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Hi JLZplus4,

Thank you for such wonderful words about our property. I’m glad you had enjoyed the Club Lounge and your stay. We are in the process of remodeling the entire hotel. I sincerely hope that if your conference is back next year you decide to stay with us again. We look forward to seeing you again.
San Francisco
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Not much to say here. A good location close to the airport. Serviceable rooms. A nice staff. But not much around here. I wouldn't stay here unless you need to be next to the airport. Had dinner in the lobby and it was terrible. Should have walked across the highway to Taco Bell

• Stayed November 2012
I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel. We are in the process up upgrading many different aspects of the hotel, including the restaurant. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Yet another dismal stay here (company paid hotel) and its getting worse. This place is an embrassmemt to the Sheraton name. Good luck finding hot water and if you like cold showers this is your place. Doing work on pipes at all hours which rattles parts of hotel. Maids are hit an miss with what they leave and do. Bar food is cheap and salty. Main restaurant is ok. Wifi absolutely sucks. Clearly Shertaon doesn't care much about this property.

• Stayed December 2012
Jeff_Elkins, Front Office Manager at Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are consistently make improvements to the hotel to better serve our guest.
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I needed a hotel to crash for one night to catch a return flight to Calgary AB. at 0700. Staff was very helpful at check in. The fellow at the concierge was excellent. I checked in and returned my car to the airport and as instructed, called the hotel for a shuttle to pick me up. After 20 minutes (the hotel was 1 mile away) the shuttle arrived. Friendly service but she said she hoped I wasn't in a hurry as we were going to the airport. It was closer to 45 minutes before we got back to the hotel. I wasn't in a hurry so no impact, just time.
The kicker was the next morning. I left a wake-up call for 0345 to catch an 0700 flight to Calgary. First time ever I decided to set my phone alarm. The wake up call never came. I went to shower and ran the hot water in the sink for 10 minutes without getting any hot. Took a quick cold shower and headed for the lobby to check out. Seems that there has been a lot of work here to resolve lack of hot water issues. The staff told me the building was old and there had been many complaints and many repairs on the lack of hot water. Again, the staff tried to help me and seemed to really care. I would probably not stay here again as there are much newer hotels across the road.

Room Tip: Club floor has breakfast and hors doeuvres. Not nearly as nice as some other Sheratons though.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jeff_Elkins, Front Office Manager at Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for such positive words on the staff. They all work very hard to please our guest. I hope that the next time you are in the area you decide to stay with us. The hotel has started a major renovation and will look brand new very soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was attempting to return to the states from London and could only make a Houston flight during Hurricane Sandy. Getting back to NYC was a nightmare. SPG is always my go to hotel brand so I was stoked to find this little gem (sarcastic) in Houston. I was only going to be in Houston for 16 hours so I wanted airport convenience. SPG's website advertised a free airport shuttle but after having waited for 40 minutes and calling the hotel 11 times, my co-workers and I decided to pay for a cab instead. That was irritating. Upon arrival, the attendant at the front desk asked "Well why didn't you just call us" when we told her about our issues with the shuttle. I wanted to scream.

My room was basic to old in terms of Sheraton quality. The lock on my door did not work but I continued to use my key just to fool myself into a false sense of security. I ate in the club lounge, bar downstairs, and the breakfast buffet--every single person in all three was super super polite and accomodating. The front desk, on the other hand, could use some in service training.

The lady that checked us in told us all that we could eat breakfast in either the club lounge or the restaurant in the lobby due to our platinum status with SPG. She advised us to come to the desk the next morning and pick up vouchers for the restaurant--not sure why she couldn't give us the vouchers at check-in like every other hotel does. Maybe she was trying to pass the buck. Sure enough, the next morning when I asked the gentleman at the front desk for a breakfast voucher he looked at me like I was speaking Chinese and advised me to go to the club lounge. My coworkers all got the same run around. We explained the disconnect to the employees of the restaurant and they were very accomodating.

Taking the shuttle back to the airport was much more pleasant.

Two stars. My experience was below normal Sheraton quality. Would probably stay somewhere else next time. Almost went with the Marriott inside of the airport. Hindsight is 20/20.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jeff_Elkins, Front Office Manager at Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for staying at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you had to endure. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to leave your valued feedback.