“Horrible Stay and Horrible Meeting”

Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental
Ranked #106 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Washington DC
“Horrible Stay and Horrible Meeting”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Booked a meeting with 50+ sleeping rooms and an all day meeting at the hotel. They screwed up the rooming list (and blamed us until they found they updated list that they never entered). Told participants they didn't have reservations, hotel was full, they would have to find somewhere else to stay. Some were checked in and then found that their rooms were dirty and never cleaned after the last guest checked out.

The sleeping rooms were musty and old. Bathroom fixtures all chipped and stained. As previous posters have said, the air conditioning leaves alot to be desired. I had it set to 60 and it never, ever got close to that. The AT&T wifi in the rooms was down more than it was up. (They blamed AT&T). The toilet in my room had a dripping noise that didn't stop for 2 days.

For the meeting in the ballroom, the food was the only positive. Breakfast and lunch were good. That being said, the room was a mess when they set it up. Several of the linens on the tables were stained and dirty.

Overall, can't believe how bad this hotel was. Not only was the facility disgraceful, the level of service was unbelievably bad. At every corner the hotel staff didn't care. They said it was our fault or just simply moved on. Only after speaking with the hotel manager did I see any results. (That being said, I saw her in the hallway the next day and she averted eye contact and didn't even acknowledge me or ask how our meeting was going.)

They did mention they are about to renovate. That might help the facility - but they need to renovate the staff a bit as they were rude beyond belief.

They promised a bunch of Starwood points for the meeting and all the problems. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

Room Tip: Chose the Marriott at the airport ;)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jeff_Elkins, Front Office Manager at Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your candid comments. We obviously did not provide you with the level of service and accommodations we aim for in every instance. It is true the hotel will begin renovations starting this month. I apologize that the staff did not live up to your expectations, we truly value your feedback as it is instrumental in improving our customer service skills. I sincerely thank you for taking to time to respond.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is terrible. There is no hot water at night, so you have to take a cold shower! The wifi is practically non-existent, the air conditioning is noisy, the bathroom is very small, and the rooms are old. I don't have high expectations, but this hotel is really bad. The only reason I stayed at this hotel is because I'm trying to get to platinum in SPG. I truly do not recommend this hotel to people who have high expectations.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jaden K
Jeff_Elkins, Front Office Manager at Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Although we did not live up to your expectations, I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel. Most importantly, I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with the overall conditions of the room. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guest.

If there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact me or a member of my staff.
Oviedo, Spain
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here for one night prior to a flight out of IAH. The hotel is definitely showing it's age. The check in process went quickly and the woman at the desk was very friendly. The bedding in my room was clean, but everything showed it's age. The walls were either dirty or they look that was with age. The ice machine on my floor was broken, which is a small hassle, but the sign looked like it had been on there a while. The walls are very thin and I was placed next to the elevator (my SPG profile always requests a room away from the elevator so this baffles me). Overall a good rate, but a mediocre hotel even for a Sheraton.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive words on the staff. I will make sure they hear your comments. The hotel is scheduled for a major renovation starting this month. We would love to invite you back in the future to see our improvements.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Very average Sheraton like most of their properties. Overall hotel is ok if had at reasonable price. Biggest issue was hot water did not make it to highest floor and AC weak. 64f setting gives you roughly 75f in room.

If you need a quick, average big name hotel this is it but don't pay too much.

• Stayed October 2012
Jeff_Elkins, Front Office Manager at Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are working on a daily basis to ensure all areas of the hotel are in great working order.
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stay at least three days a week in hotels and this hotel is not bad but also not great. Room carpet is dirty, the walls are paper thin (could hear everything in the room next to me), beds are comfortable but pillows are too soft. Staying in hotels I am very careful about bedbugs (no evidence of any here) so I never put my suitcase on a bed. When I got to my room, I looked for the standard luggage stand that every hotel has in their rooms. There was not one in my room so I called the front desk and talked with two people who had no idea what I was talking about. Finally they told me that their hotel does not have them. I have never heard of this this. If this is the case, anyone who travels a lot knows not to put their suitcase on a bed. Get luggage stands.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for your recent feedback. I apologize a luggage stand was not provided for you. Each room should have one in the closet, I will look into that today. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the future.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed October 22, 2012

over all not bad at all, but not as stellar as should be
was surprised walls were so thin, heating didin't work,
ok, was oct and they still had a/c on
but they had no space heaters for the transition period
what about when it's winter to summer, heat and no fans?

also, on fans, i like them in my toilet, they had none, small but nice
over all, though, a really great place and good price

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We would like to thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Prato, Italy
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed in many 3 star hotels, some of which of the Sheraton chain.
This was terrible, awful smell in the hallways, bad smell in the room, ice machine noisier than an airplane engine.
The joints between the frame and the glass of the window were done poorly with the result that the window was noisy.

Room Tip: I would not choose any other room, when I'll come back to houston will not be staying again at t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jeff_Elkins, Front Office Manager at Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I would like to thank you for your feedback. Starting next month the hotel is scheduled for a major renovation. I would like to invite you back to see the improvements the hotels has made.