“OK So far” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #141 of 501 Hotels in Houston
North Charleston, South Carolina
“OK So far”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2005

This is the hotel that is preferred by our corporate travel agency for employees to use when coming to our corporate office. Our rate is $84/night and I don't know what the rate is for non-negotiated stays.

I didn't check-in until almost 2:30 am due to a delayed flight and an accident on 290 approaching the hotel. I called to obtain better directions and was politely and pleasantly directed. All of the "feeder" roads in Houston confuse me anyway, so it was nice to get someone to actually point me in the right direction.

When I arrived the parking lot was very full, but I found a spot and lugged my luggage (maybe that's why it's called luggage!) to the front desk. The night manager was very helpful and sweet, and put me in a "mini-suite" and told me that I would love the beds. I requested for someone to come back and get my room service order for breakfast, which they did (they had already picked them up for the night).

The room (526) was L-shaped and had a TV/armoire/dresser/coffee area on one wall (opposite the bed), a reading chair and foot stool in the corner, and a king sized bed with a night stand on each side. Around the corner of the "L" was a pull-out sofa, coffee table, and work desk. Imagine two hotels rooms side-by-side, with the front half of one chopped off (for what I later learned was housekeeping storage).

The bed had a nice white comforter on it (which I always remove immediately upon entering a room) and the "triple sheet" bedding with a soft mattress cover, 4 plump pillows, a small satin pillow, and 2 European bed squares. An eye mask, ear plugs, lavendar linen spray, and a relaxation CD were arranged on the bed for me to see when I first came in. I finally found the CD player... around the corner on the work desk. I popped it in and unpacked. I sprayed the linen spray -- it smelled nice, but dissipated quickly. The eye mask was black and had satin on one side. The earplugs were foam, but were tan colored instead of the "factory yellow" ones I usually see.

The TV has lots of channels, but seemed to have the ubiqutous "hotel shadow" syndrome. It is a 25" screen. Unfortunately, the sofa is around the corner, so you can only watch TV from the bed or the reading chair.

There is another clock (without CD player) next to the bed. The drapes had "drape clips" (basically "chip clips" for drapery) to hold them together and block out light.

I turned on the heat (low heat, temp. setting halfway between hot and cold) this morning and it got toasty quickly. I wish there had been a lower fan speed.

There was no privacy sign on the door. I used the iron and ironing board, and both were stored neatly in the armoire.

I ordered breakfast for between 8 and 8:15 am and it was delivered at 8:02. Great bacon, okay pancakes. But plenty of food. I used the side table next to reading chair as a "TV tray" of sorts so I could watch TV while I ate (otherwise I would've sat at the work desk on the other part of the "L"). Breakfast was about $11 including all service charges, and included 3 pancakes, 3 bacon, coffee and ice water. Most other breakfasts were similarly priced.

In the bathroom there were the standard amentities of shampoo, conditioner, face soap, and bath soap. Additionally, there was mouthwash, lotion, a sewing kit, and a shower cap. All products were labeled as "spa" and seemed to contain some natural ingredients that are listed on the back of each bottle.

Towels seemd a little skimpy, but I found one that seemed bigger than the rest and was plenty big enough to wrap around me (and I'm not a little person!). There was the standard hotel hair dryer, but there also was a glowing green night light and a makeup mirror that pulled out from the wall.

Water pressure was okay, nothing spectacular. Water temp was inconsistent, but reasonable. I had to turn it to all the way hot for about 5 minutes before it started to warm up. The shower head has 4 different settings for water pressure. The shower curtain liner was heavy vinyl and blocked most of the light, making it difficult to shave in the shower. There was NOT a curved shower bar as has become the norm in hotels of this quality level (JW Marriott, Hilton, etc.).

The USA Today was already outside the door when I got to the room about 3 am. The alarm clock worked fine, and I saw a table tent with a guaranteed wake up call advertised.

The lamp on the work desk had two electrical outlets so I could charge my cell phone while I plugged in my laptop. I have not yet used the internet connection, so I don't know much about it.

Overall, the room was a little bland looking, but was clean and had nice amentities. I wish that either was another TV so I could see it from the sofa, or that the room was arranged differently so I could see it from both the sofa and the bed. Not bad for the price, and since I will be staying here quite a bit from now on, I guess I better learn to love it. :) So far the staff have all been very nice.

Oh, about the housekeeping -- their staging area for carts and supplies is next door to my room, so if you don't want to be bothered with the noise in the mornings, ask for a different room.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Xine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Indonesian first
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2004

I've been to this Crowne Plaza last June 14-19, 2004. Very Bad Shower, Difficult to control the water heat, Noise of the air condiotioning looks like a Boeing 747 engine. When you complain with the reception, they offer another room instead of fixing the problems. General installations are good but need urgent investment in maintenance of the equipment. In addition, quality of the food at the breakfast is far from my expectations: cold omelets, everything very greasy. No options for healthy food.

4 Thank Moyses L
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2003

Would gladly stay there again. Nice staff, good overall experience.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member