“In the cabana rooms, we're near the car, near the pool, and near the lobby”

Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow
Ranked #211 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I've stayed here many times through many years---I enjoy the rooms, the great staff, good restaurant, and watching my grandkids having fun outside---we all feel at home here. Thanks!

Room Tip: Look around the hotel, then ask for the area ---
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gladyscity
CPNorthwest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Thank you for your positive comments about your hotel experience at the Crowne Plaza Brookhollow. Our team takes great pride in providing a comfortable and enjoyable experience to our guests.
We want everyone to feel that our hotel can be their "home away from home"

Dave Comerota

Reviewed April 7, 2011

Arriving at the hotel at 9 PM local time (3AM UK time). I choose this hotel for the sole purpose of being near to the client that I was working at. My ongoing experience of the hotel is as follows: On arrival I had to wait a few minutes whilst the smiling and polite male receptionist “faffed” about trying to print off driving instructions for the kind guest in front of me, this receptionist was replaced by a female receptionist who finalised the check in process promptly and perfunctorily. After dropping my gear off in the room the Hotel bar “Remingtons” was sought out and duly attended. The two bar staff were next to useless at serving the guests that grew from 3 in number to an entire bar room full. Up until this night I have never yet received a pint of Guinness with a 5 inch head before, but I now have repeatedly received this new experience, I know this is not Ireland but the explanation of this was “this is how we always serve it”, is not good enough!. The bar’s slogan is “Lively Libations” which should read “Labours Lost”
The hotel was not what you expect of a UK Crown Plaza, at best the hotel room and communal areas are a tired version of a worn out Holiday Inn, this foreboding experience starts at the grotty / kitsch looking fountain in the reception area and makes it solemn path to the rooms and bar & breakfast areas. The first room I was allocated as a Platinum Priority Club member was room 218 on the so called “club” floor. (see photos) the room was clean & tidy but well used see photos of grubby area’s which included the carpet and bath. The startling revelation on waking the next morning was that room looked out onto a brick wall some 8 feet away, directly in front of this was a old looking wooden box, a broom, and most bizarrely weird white chicken feathers which fluttered out of the air vent (see the photos) you just can’t make this stuff up. On presenting this evidence to yet another receptionist the following morning, I was given room 410 a “suite” which looks over the pool area, see photos and was much more pleasing, disaster struck that night however as right next door to this room is the main set of lifts for the hotel and possibly the loudest air conditioner unit in the world which sent vibrations down the side of the building which resulted in a “wump, wump, wump” sound all night long. The impassive and blank starring faced receptionist the following morning brought no comfort to me and made me check out of the room and told me another would not be available until after 5PM that night. At 5 I re-checked in and received room 127, a ground floor room overlooking the pool at the rear of the hotel which had been modified for disabled access, it was as tired looking as the previous rooms and contained an old style 1990’s TV, but at least it proved to be quiet. A colleague I was travelling with stayed at the front of the hotel which faces on to a very busy highway, he also moved rooms on the first night as the hotel does not have double glazing, which means you can hear every single car travel past.
After 7 dedicated years using the hotel chain I decided enough was enough with hotel food and vowed if possible not to eat in them, having no real other option on this visit, as I had no car and could not cross the 8 lane high way to get to the tantalising outlets of Denny’s, Hooters & The Brick House establishments which are opposite the hotel I opted for the buffet breakfast, this resulted in me establishing new levels of disappointment, not only in terms of the low level of variety that was offered but also in terms of the quality which from my other American trips had led me to believe that food standards in America are extremely high.
My very last gripe as a priority club member is, on arrival you are presented with a “book” of vouchers for discounted services in the hotel, e.g. a single free drink per day in the “club” bar & half price breakfasts etc. This voucher system cheapens the executive feel of being a member and makes you feel like a house wife trying to save money when buying meat loaf. I want to feel like an executive when I travel, so why don’t they just give you a letter on arrival which says e.g. the club bar is open for your service between 6-8 each day were a welcome drink awaits you, as a member a discount of 50% will be taken automatically from your breakfast bill on departure Sir !
On the single plus side I detected about the hotel, it offers free WI-FI unlike it’s UK sister version, who never do, which is clearly a missed marketing opportunity or a cleaver profiteering opportunity depending on your slant.
In summary I score the hotel 1/5, for being tired, grubby, with poor rooms, inadequate, meals, and poor service, this is the lowest I have ever given a hotel to date.

Room Tip: Avoid if possible
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank theresaheadinit
CPNorthwest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2011

I truly apologize for your experiences at the Crowne Plaza Brookhollow. The hotel team strives to provide prompt and friendly service to our guests. There are plans to update various furnishings, including the televisions in our guest rooms in 2011. I am pleased that you found your room clean and tidy and we will continue to improve our standards.
I have shared your comments with the hotel team and will use your comments to better serve our valuable guests.

David Comerota

Reviewed March 22, 2011

I have stayed several times at the Crowne Plaza on the NW Freeway in Houston. I travel on business and this hotel is close to my Houston office. Everytime I have been in- the front office staff have been knowledgeable, courteous and have gone above and beyond. Most recently I called in need of a copy of my receipt as I had misplaced mine and needed it for my expense report. Mr.Marfani was extremely helpful and had emailed my receipt to me within minutes of talking to him. I appreciate his promptness. As busy as we all are time means alot!
Thanks!
Kara Ezell
Customer Service Manager
CPI Lubrication Group

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
CPNorthwest, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

At the Crowne Plaza Northwest our guest are our passion! Thank you so much for recognizing our front office staff. They are supported by a wonderful back office team of Managers, and a great Sales Team. If your company is ever in need of meeting space or wanting a venue for a conference give us a call and we will handle all the details!

When staying with us we want you to feel you’re at your home away from home! Our desire to make sure you are completely satisfied doesn’t stop there. We were happy to take care of your request after you departed, and look forward to seeing you back.

Thanks Again!
Rizwan Marfani

Reviewed March 16, 2011

I have stayed in hotels all over the country, including many other Crowne Plaza hotels. This one is not up to the minimum business traveler's standards. I stayed in Room 600 and the traffic noise was there, but not too bad. The room was large and clean, but none of that makes up for the 1980's television or the extremely slow internet. I did a ping test and it came back as slower than dial up service. Too slow for data transfer or VPN access. I will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback about our property! We are glad that you found our rooms to be large and clean! As for the issues that you had with your room concerning the TV and internet connection, let me reassure you that we are aware of them and working on improving both. In fact we have begun to replace the outdated televisions in most of our rooms and will have all of the televisions changed out very soon. Our internet is also something that we are currently in the process of improving. We are working with a national internet provider to expand coverage and increase speed for our guest. This project will be completed before the end of March '11 Guest will have the ability to stream video as well as connect to VPN networks. We would like to invite you back to see the exciting changes for yourself!

Regards,

Management

Reviewed March 1, 2011

I am the Travel coordinator for a manufacturing company on the East Coast and we have a plant in Houston. Whenever I call to book a reservation it is done quickly and efficiently. I always receive anyswers to questions in a timely manner. Rizwan at the front desk helped out with transport to the airport and saved me an extra call! This is a preferred Hotel by all who travel to Houston. THey just handled a sales meeting in January and everything was ready to go and the food was good too!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
CPNorthwest, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to recognize our hotel! It is wonderful to hear that your experience with us has been pleasant and helpful. Our guest and their needs are always top priorityto us. We have a great Sales team that is always ready to take care of any event needs; corporate or leisure. Please continue to give us feedback so we can continue to improve your experience with us!

Warm Regards,
Rizwan Marfani

Reviewed January 24, 2011

I would like to commend the entire hospitality team at the hotel on their diligence in making our two day meeting go off with out any problem. I had an issue with a lost reservation for myself and one of the front desk staff members, Henry Strait, efficiently take care of me and provide me with accommodations. Henry also checked in with me periodically as I passed him in the lobby or on the grounds to make sure that my experience and the entire assembly of participants of my company were without any problems. Kudos to him and the rest of the team. Will definitely revisit this facility for future group meetings and events for my company...we had over 100 employees this past week. Peter Grumbos, DDS, FAGD

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2011

my quick business trip to houston almost became a long, drawn out affair if it were not for the helpful staff at Crowne Plaza Hotel Northwest-Brookhollow. after finding out that my car battery was dead, each staff member i approached generously gave me their time, effort or tools to help. it amazed me that so many were genuinely interested in helping me get back on the road and home to my family. after being carted to a battery store and getting help putting the new battery in the car, i vowed to share this experince with all trying to decide their hotel choices in the houston area. i would greatly recommend the Crowne Plaza Hotel Northwest-Brookhollow.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
CPNorthwest, Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

It's great to hear that our staff was able to help get your car back up and running. It's always good to know the team is doing all they can to make your stay pleasant. Thank you for sharing your experience with us as well. We look forward to hosting you next time you are in the Houston area.