“Wonderful Staff, Wonderful Rooms, Wonderful Breakfasts”

SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park
Ranked #156 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful Staff, Wonderful Rooms, Wonderful Breakfasts”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a great property. The staff is top-notch, always seem to go the extra mile! It looks a bit older on the outside, don't let that drive you away, it is brand new on the inside. The breakfasts are always hot and fresh! Yum! Also, the breakfast area is always clean! That is not always the case elsewhere. There are multiple attendants each morning who treat this like a full-service restaurant. Short walking distance to the Light Rail Train. My message to GM & Staff --> you EARNED Five stars all around!

Room Tip: great views from floors 5-6-7
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
demaileron,
Thank you for your five star review. We're glad you stayed with us and enjoyed your visit. I'm pleased you liked our hotel and found our staff friendly and helpful. We hope you'll have another opportunity to come and visit us again soon.
Dwan Lightfoot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Edmond, OK
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This property is generally okay, and its people generally quite good, but there were a few sticking points on this, my second stay.

First, my Platinum status was not recognized when I checked in. No offer of points or a market item. No room upgrade. No Platinum keys. Disappointing when you consider my status is glaring out from the screen right under the nose of the person checking me in. Folks, I spend more nights in Marriott properties than I do my own bed at home. For that sort of loyalty, yes, I expect to be treated much better than the unwashed masses. Deal with it.

Second, the tub drain in room 711 is so slow, I wound up standing in ankle-deep water each morning during my shower. Nobody proactively checks the drains for proper operation between guests? Disappointing.

Third, the desk in the guest room still has only ONE electrical outlet. If your aim is to attract business travelers, keep in mind that we have MORE than one thing we wish to plug in at the desk. Put a two-gang duplex outlet on the wall just above the desktop surface. It's not rocket science, guys.

Forth, the glacial speed of the elevators. Oh, they move at a decent rate ONCE YOU GET ONE. The problem is that the operation of the cars in response to the call buttons must have been programmed by drunken monkeys. Plan on a 5 to 10 minute wait to get an elevator whether you're in the lobby or on the 7th floor.

Fifth, no Dr. Pepper in the market. You're located in Texas, guys. Dr. Pepper was invented in Texas. The Dr. Pepper museum is located in Waco, Texas. Do your Southern friends a favor: Stock Dr. Pepper in the market.

On a positive note, the bed was quite comfortable. Some may consider it too soft, but I liked it. The hallways don't stink like they did on my previous visit, and it was nice to have a working ice machine only steps from my door. Parking is decent, and I always appreciate automatic sliding doors at the property entrance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
hpdp,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased you chose to stay at SpringHill Suites. I'm glad you liked our comfortable beds, spacious suites, and friendly staff. I have read your comments and will act upon them accordingly. We're glad to have you as a Platinum member, so I apologize for any inconveniences you incurred during your stay with us. Please plan to visit us again as we hope to provide a more positive experience for your third stay.
Dwan Lightfoot, General Manager
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to MD Anderson hospital and because it had a living area since I was supposed to stay for a week. This is an older hotel that has been renovated. The beds were very comfortable. The living area was good because you have separation from the sleeping area. It has a microwave and mini fridge which is convenient for snacks and warming up food. The front desk staff was very helpful and nice. The continental breakfast was good with hot food such as eggs, sausage, and grits. They had waffles, cereal, pastries, bagels, coffee, and juice. There was free wifi and there was a good variety of TV channels. The only two negatives were the bathroom which was small and the water had a mildew smell some of the time and the walls were kind of thin so you could hear through the walls. I was supposed to stay all week, but didn't have to after seeing the doctor, so the hotel let me check out after two nights without a penalty. So even with the negatives, I will stay there again if I have to go back to MD Anderson.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Renea910,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your experience with us at SpringHill Suites. We're glad you chose to stay with us, and we're happy to have had you as our guest. I'm pleased to hear we were able to provide a comfortable bed, spacious room, and delicious breakfast for you. If you do come back to Houston, please plan to stay with us again. We'd be delighted to have you as our guest again.
Dwan Lightfoot, General Manager
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I recently stay at the Springhill Suites near Reliant Park for the weekend. It was a nice clean hotel, great location near the stadium and had many choices to eat around the hotel. There wasnt an empty room in the hotel due to the football game that weekend. The staff was very nice and helpful, however there was a few problems. The ice machine wasnt working on the 4th floor, we were given 3 bath towels for 4 people, there was no hot water in the entire hotel on Sunday night. The rooms were nice, beds were fine, but the pull out sofa was horrible. This is the second time I have stay at the hotel, however the first time that I had these problems. I will stay there again when I come back to Houston.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
LJC48,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at SpringHill Suites. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with us and hope you enjoyed the game as well. I'm also glad to know you liked our clean, comfortable rooms and our friendly and helpful staff. I apologize for the few problems you encountered during your stay. I'm pleased to know you'll plan to visit us again, and I hope your next visit with us will be soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel is well located if you need to be at the Medical Center, Reliant Park, or Rice University.

The hotel room was clean and functional. My biggest complaint about the room was that the condition of the fold-out sofa mattress was terrible. My adult (but lightweight) daughter had to sleep on it, and she could feel the individual springs through the fabric. In order to make it slightly more tolerable we put the two quilt strips from the beds on the fold-out bed, and then put on the thin mattress cover and sheet. We thought about putting an extra bath towel as another layer, but the hotel only provided one bath towel per occupant.

I sat outside by the pool for a little while, and noticed that the jacuzzi was pretty grimy. The sides of it really need to be scrubbed down to get rid of a layer of algae.

Parking was no problem at all, and breakfast was fine.

There aren't any restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Traveler8899,

Thank you for your review. We're pleased you and your family stayed with us at SpringHill Suites. I apologize for the sofa mattress being uncomfortable for your daughter. I'm sure if the front desk was not notified, they would have provided more linens to help soften the mattress. I do understand your comments. I will look into the hot tub maintenance as well. We hope that overall your experience with us was a pleasant one. Please come visit us again soon.
Louisiana
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at a Springhill Suites in W. Palm Beach, FL in the latter part of 2011. Very good experience there. However, my stay at this Springhill Suites started out a little sub-par. When I checked in, I got up to my room and round that they had put me in a room that was not ready. It had not been cleaned - and this was at approximately 6:00 p.m. So, we had to be moved. After that, things went well. The front desk staff was very courteous. The air conditioner did not cool my room to my liking, and I found the room could have used some sprucing-up decor-wise. If I were to do it all over again, I would choose a hotel closer to the Methodist Hospital even if I had to pay more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
bonimoni1,
Thank you for your review. We're grateful for your business, and we're glad you chose to stay with us at SpringHill Suites Houston. Please accept my apology for having to move you to another room at the beginning of your stay. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you and hope you had a comfortable night's sleep. We certainly would love to have you visit us again the next time you're in the Houston area as we hope to provide a more satisfying experience.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on a weekend to be close to the nightlife downtown. After reading the tips here I requested and received a room on the highest floor (7) and away from the elevators. Slept very well. Problem is Saturday night they called a taxi for me and 25 minutes later it hadn't even been dispatched. I was so pissed I ended up walking 3 miles until I managed to hail a cab outside another hotel. When a hotel can't manage to get a taxi for you properly I think that's just a major failure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away at the end of the hall on the 6th or 7th floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank w999
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
w999,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you chose to stay with us at SpringHill Suites for a weekend getaway. I'm very glad to hear that you had a great night's rest, and I hope you enjoyed the downtown area. I apologize for the delay in getting a taxi. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, and will make sure to review your comments with our front desk staff. We hope this minor occurrence will, in no way, keep you from staying with us again. We value your business and hope to see you again soon.