“Better then I expected” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park
Ranked #152 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“Better then I expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

I just needed a place to sleep for two nights as I wasn't going to be in Houston long or at the hotel much. I had to be at Rice University and this place was fairly close and a good price. When driving up at night the exterior looked a little bit dated but seemed like a safe location. I don't know how old thje building actually is, but the lobby looked very clean and modern. The guy at the desk was very friendly and quick when checking me in. Gave me some good advice on places to eat near the hotel. The room itself was very nice and spacious. Like the name points out they are suites. The living area looks nice and modern, everything looked new & clean, had a desk, love seat, chair, coffee table and a nice flat screen tv. The lighting was nice. Between the living area and bedroom there was a mini kitchin on the left with mini-fridge, microwave, sink & coffee maker. On the right was a bathroom, pretty typical bathroom, but I will say there seemed to be a problem with the shower head as it kept coming loose. The bedroom was large and clean, beds were comfortable. The alarm clock had an I-pod dock which I appreciate and the bedroom had a second nice flat screen tv. The only complaint I have is that one of the bedroom power plugs was broken meaning I had to unplug the lamp just to recharge my cell phone leaving me in the dark. If they have so few outlets they need to make sure they all work. Was in to big a hurry in the morning, but the breakfast at least looked pretty good with sausage, eggs, fruit, waffles and some other options. All in all I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Edmond, OK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

The Good:
Automatic sliding doors make building entry and exit with luggage a breeze. To my great surprise, the property's high-speed internet is actually usable. The Cat 5 network jack is located just above the desktop on the wall which is very convenient. There are two LCD televisions in the suite which makes viewing from the living area or sleeping area pleasant. Housekeeping is effective. They replace the shampoo and soap missing from the vanity without swiping the ones in the shower I just opened and used just that morning -- a wasteful practice I've experienced at other properties but not here. The bathroom light and fan are on separate switches. The sleeping area has a very nice iHome clock radio with iPod dock. I love those things! Don't believe your GPS. There is a break in the median of Old Spanish Trail which allows direct access if you are westbound coming from 288. There is no need to snake around Stadium Drive. Access is also easy from 610 via Kirby Drive. Plenty of shopping and dining are nearby. Domino's Pizza delivers here. Local management responded as best they could to a very unpleasant situation (see "The Ugly" below) and provided meaningful consideration for my inconvenience. I offer my sincere thanks to Ben Breman and Dwan Lightfoot.

The Bad:
Only one AC outlet on the base of the desk lamp. A 2-gang duplex (four total outlets) should be at desktop level near the Cat 5 network jack. A laptop, phone, and iPod all need juice, and one lonely outlet doesn't cut it. The ice machine on the 2nd floor was out of order. The ice machine on the 5th floor leaked. Sodas from the vending machine are $2.75. Go to the nearby Kroger or Super Target, buy your own soda for far less, then chill it in the fridge in the room. The scrambled eggs and sausage each morning are okay, but I sure missed biscuits and gravy to go with it. Texas is south of the Mason-Dixon line, after all. Front desk staff lacked a coherent and consistent story as to what was wrong with the HVAC and when it was going to be fixed. This put them in a very bad spot as both the source of guest frustration and the target of everyone's ire. Also, I had to hail the night guy when I needed something at the front desk. He seemed to continually be in the back office messing around on the computer. Can't blame a fella for being bored, but please be more attentive.

The Ugly:
It appears that onsite management is doing their best, however their options are grossly limited. Concord Hospitality Enterprises clearly has no clue about the meaning of their middle name "hospitality". Issues affecting all guest comfort -- like repair of FACILITY-WIDE AIR CONDITIONING should be left to the sole discretion of local onsite management REGARDLESS OF DOLLAR AMOUNT! Tying the hands of local management with bureaucratic nonsense is patently stupid and disables their ability to respond to emergency repairs in a timely manner. If we're talking about a property-wide renovation, then sure, mull it over in the Raleigh board room for months on end. But if we are dealing with an issue of guest comfort or safety, then empower local management with the ability to respond quickly and decisively. Waiting from Sunday until Wednesday to fix a building-wide HVAC problem because "multiple bids are required by the ownership group" is just about as dumb as it gets for the "hospitality" industry. The hallways, elevators, and other common areas felt and smelled like a stinky sauna.

Travelers should familiarlize themselves with properties owned by this group and make their reservations with caution.

Property locations: --

The ONLY thing that gets this review four stars is the snappy response of onsite management. Without that, it would have received two or one instead due to inept ownership. Sorry I couldn't give you a five, Ben and Dwan, but the HVAC thing was just too much. Your owners should be ashamed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank hpdp
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

We stayed here while being treated at MD Anderson Cancer Center. It is very convenient to the medical center and there is a shuttle to take you to and from appointments. The room was very clean and comfortable although I think it was a little high priced even with the medical discount. There are restaurants and grocery stores in the area and it is also close to Reliant Stadium.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank obitwriter
Round Rock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

THis hotel is convenient to the freeway and has a pretty decent continental breakfast. The rooms are spacious and although we were cautioned about the construction noise we did not hear a thing. It could have been that it was Easter weekend?

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Thank you for your review Deepwood, we appreciate your comments and hope you had an enjoyable Easter weekend.

Take care,

Home
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

Medical guests should be aware that the Manager will suddenly, and without warning, need to "take a block of rooms out of service". We are Marriot Rewards members and our reservation was cancelled with only a two day notice. This happened during an event at Reliant Stadium when rooms were going for a premium at the hotel. Didn't seem to want, or value, returning medical guests. Our "MAIN STAY" will be at another hotel in the future.

Older hotel that is being updated. Fairly clean, with a friendly, courteous staff.

Room Tip: Ask for Anna
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Please accept my sincere apologies for the unexpected interruption in your plans; we’re in the process of enhancing the hotel and renovations began on more rooms than originally planned with very little notice. We appreciate your business as a loyal Marriott Rewards member, and hope that you will return once renovations are complete so that we may have the opportunity to make a proper impression.

Best regards,

Happy Valley, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

I booked the wrong dates for my trip to the Final Four in Houston. It was a No Change No Refund price. The booking company said I was out of luck. But, I could call the hotel and see if they would make the change. They did! No Charge! I was so happy! That was a huge win for me! A change with no fee when they clearly had me on the hook. My airline change through Frontier was a $100 charge with no sympathy from the company. "Hey too bad get the right dates next time!" They might as well have added" idiot "to that.
I was impressed with the Hotel! Walking distance from Reliant Stadium: Clean, good sized rooms, with a standard Free breakfast. Service were nice and friendly. At a cost of about $100 a night total it was a great price. I would tell friends and family to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Double check your dates!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Dear Barget,

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation; it was our pleasure to help you out with the mix up on your travel dates. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again next time you’re in Houston!

Best regards,

Dwan Lightfoot, General Manger
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

I was traveling with my elderly parents and elderly aunt. We got a "Double/Double Queen Suite with Pull Out Sofa Bed" and was very pleased with our room.

The queen beds were very comfortable, and were nice and firm. The linens were fresh and crisp, and were nice, white, and clean. This was the first time I had slept on a Sofa Bed in years and although I expected it to be a nightmare, frankly it was actually quite comfortable. There were no "bars in my back" as with the old style sofa beds I have slept on.

The thing I liked most about this hotel room was the separate living and sleeping areas- my parents and aunt who all snore, were in one room, and I was in the living room part on the sofa bed. The bathroom area is in between and I found this design to be very intuitive.

I also liked that they had two TV's, one for each area. The staff at this hotel are very friendly. My parents, being senior citizens, are always looking for bargains, so they wanted a hotel with free breakfast. They were thrilled that this one had a great free breakfast- and it was very good! They are not greedy with the food, and allow you to take as much as you want. The staff attending the breakfast area are very friendly as well. The second floor and lobby was being remodeled while I was there- but it was really not a problem- no loud banging or anything really. Very nice hotel, highly recommended, would definitely stay again- I plan to do so.

I would also recommend this hotel highly for people who go to MD Anderson. They offer free shuttle service there as well.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Dear jptough,

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation! We’re so glad you and your family enjoyed your suite along with the amenities of our hotel and the shuttle service. We hope to see you again next time you’re in the area!

Yours truly,