“Convenient to Medical Center”

SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park
Ranked #158 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We stayed here while being treated at MD Anderson Cancer Center. It is very convenient to the medical center and there is a shuttle to take you to and from appointments. The room was very clean and comfortable although I think it was a little high priced even with the medical discount. There are restaurants and grocery stores in the area and it is also close to Reliant Stadium.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank obitwriter

Reviewed April 27, 2011

THis hotel is convenient to the freeway and has a pretty decent continental breakfast. The rooms are spacious and although we were cautioned about the construction noise we did not hear a thing. It could have been that it was Easter weekend?

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2011

Thank you for your review Deepwood, we appreciate your comments and hope you had an enjoyable Easter weekend.

Take care,

Reviewed April 24, 2011

Medical guests should be aware that the Manager will suddenly, and without warning, need to "take a block of rooms out of service". We are Marriot Rewards members and our reservation was cancelled with only a two day notice. This happened during an event at Reliant Stadium when rooms were going for a premium at the hotel. Didn't seem to want, or value, returning medical guests. Our "MAIN STAY" will be at another hotel in the future.

Older hotel that is being updated. Fairly clean, with a friendly, courteous staff.

Room Tip: Ask for Anna
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2011

Please accept my sincere apologies for the unexpected interruption in your plans; we’re in the process of enhancing the hotel and renovations began on more rooms than originally planned with very little notice. We appreciate your business as a loyal Marriott Rewards member, and hope that you will return once renovations are complete so that we may have the opportunity to make a proper impression.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 6, 2011

I booked the wrong dates for my trip to the Final Four in Houston. It was a No Change No Refund price. The booking company said I was out of luck. But, I could call the hotel and see if they would make the change. They did! No Charge! I was so happy! That was a huge win for me! A change with no fee when they clearly had me on the hook. My airline change through Frontier was a $100 charge with no sympathy from the company. "Hey too bad get the right dates next time!" They might as well have added" idiot "to that.
I was impressed with the Hotel! Walking distance from Reliant Stadium: Clean, good sized rooms, with a standard Free breakfast. Service were nice and friendly. At a cost of about $100 a night total it was a great price. I would tell friends and family to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Double check your dates!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2011

Dear Barget,

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation; it was our pleasure to help you out with the mix up on your travel dates. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again next time you’re in Houston!

Best regards,

Dwan Lightfoot, General Manger

Reviewed January 23, 2011

I was traveling with my elderly parents and elderly aunt. We got a "Double/Double Queen Suite with Pull Out Sofa Bed" and was very pleased with our room.

The queen beds were very comfortable, and were nice and firm. The linens were fresh and crisp, and were nice, white, and clean. This was the first time I had slept on a Sofa Bed in years and although I expected it to be a nightmare, frankly it was actually quite comfortable. There were no "bars in my back" as with the old style sofa beds I have slept on.

The thing I liked most about this hotel room was the separate living and sleeping areas- my parents and aunt who all snore, were in one room, and I was in the living room part on the sofa bed. The bathroom area is in between and I found this design to be very intuitive.

I also liked that they had two TV's, one for each area. The staff at this hotel are very friendly. My parents, being senior citizens, are always looking for bargains, so they wanted a hotel with free breakfast. They were thrilled that this one had a great free breakfast- and it was very good! They are not greedy with the food, and allow you to take as much as you want. The staff attending the breakfast area are very friendly as well. The second floor and lobby was being remodeled while I was there- but it was really not a problem- no loud banging or anything really. Very nice hotel, highly recommended, would definitely stay again- I plan to do so.

I would also recommend this hotel highly for people who go to MD Anderson. They offer free shuttle service there as well.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Dear jptough,

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation! We’re so glad you and your family enjoyed your suite along with the amenities of our hotel and the shuttle service. We hope to see you again next time you’re in the area!

Yours truly,

Reviewed May 22, 2010

The Springhill Suites at this location is convenient to our business location in Houston and my experience is that this property is solidly competent in it's niche with little to distinguish it either positively or negatively.

First the positives:
- Free High Speed Internet
- Spacious room
- Well maintained property
- Desk and chair with Power & Internet ports at desk height i.e., no crawling under the desk
- Decent coffee and breakfast buffet
- Free parking
- A couple of restaurants and a Walgreen's within walking distance
- Separate desk/sitting area and sleeping area with TVs in each (no HD channels)
- Sink, microwave and mini fridge

The gaps:
- Bed is less comfortable than I'd like
- HVAC (heating/AC system) has the typical loud fan blower for hotel units mounted on exterior walls. This is Houston so you are going to need AC
- Door(s) to adjoining room could be better soundproofed. I could have heard the whole conversation from the next room if I'd wanted to
- Thin and scratchy towels that I'm used to from budget hotels
- Limited exercise equipment, incline machine, 2 x treadmills, stair stepper, and stationary bike. No universal machine, free weights or elliptical machine. One TV in a large room. Also, water is dispensed into paper cones - not cups or bottles - so best bring your own

For it's niche, I was very happy with the breakfast buffet. I'm good with cold cereal, some fruit, yogurt, juice and coffee. Perhaps a small sticky bun. Those wanting hot can have scrambled eggs, sausage, hot cereal or make your own waffles.

Overall, the place is what I'd expect with a couple of things near the top part of it's class and a few gaps. The two things I'd look to fix first are the bed and the loud HVAC. The thing I think works the best is the breakfast (and coffee).

I'd stay here again and in fact expect to be back later this year.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Olde_biL
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Houston Medical Center/NRG Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for recommending us; we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed November 4, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times for both leisure and appointments at MD Anderson Hospital. The rooms have always been impeccably clean, have plenty of space, low noise levels and the beds are very comfortable.

The location is very convenient to Reliant Stadium and Texas Medical Center, the quality of the hotel and the staff are superb and the breakfast is well above the average of comparable hotels. Has a small business center with 2 computers to check email, etc. Parking is free.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple