“Cold shoulder”

Ranked #60 of 504 Hotels in Houston
West Milford, New Jersey
“Cold shoulder”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I travel 80% of the time for business and I stay exclusively in Marriotts. This is the first (and last) time I stayed at this location for the following reason: snootiness. Perhaps this hotel is Texas' version of "upscale", but, in my opinion, the service I experienced was not up to the Marriott standards:

When I arrived at the front desk, I was warmly greeted, but, when I asked them to not put a hold on my card for incidentals, they decided to try to put the incidentals on the "card on file". This charge was declined.... because that card is full (remember, I travel for business). When they told me this, I replied, "Yes, that is why I asked you not to charge incidentals." They asked if there was some other solution to handle the incidentals, and I said, "Yes, I could stay somewhere else." They then had to "ask their manager if it was okay". The manager OKed it, but, I was then rudely told I would not be able to charge anything to the room. I replied, "Yes, that's exactly what I want."

Bottom line: when they greeted me, they were all smiles, but once it became clear that I would not be using any of their other services (e.g. room service, etc), I felt like I was treated like a beggar.

I have platinum elite status, so I spend alot of money at Marriotts. This is not the type of service I've come to expect from Marriott.

Needless to say, I checked out after one night.

2 Thank leroybrownisbad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Mobile, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

What a hotel! I have never experienced such great service at any other hotel that I have ever stayed. I had to leave in a hurry and left my hang-ups in the closet and they mailed them to me in Alabama and didn't even charge me. I will certainly be going back to this hotel in the future! Outstanding!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

The property is undergoing some renevations outside, but inside the rooms are already very nice. The help at the front desk, and in the concierge lounge, is exceptional. All the staff here goes out of their way to be helpful and friendly, which is very nice for a change.

richmond virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

They took the fact that I was a Marriott gold member seriously. First up we got a room upgrade to the concierge floor that included free drinks and free breakfast. I was really surprised when I left to find that they didn't charge me for parking either. Really friendly staff. Very comfortable room. Good small restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank brobob1225
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

The staff at this conveniently located hotel is amazing. We did not meet one person who wasn't friendly and eager to please. Kindness is every where! Amber is especially caring and full of surprises! She helped make our anniversary trip extra special! The hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants and stores, but there is also a shuttle. The location is great. Sadly, I have to report that you can hear outside traffic in the rooms. We were on a high floor and could hear cars all night. Ear plugs might come in handy. Despite this, the warmth of the staff and great location make this hotel a winner!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We paid nearly US$ 500 per night for rooms at this hotel during the busy OTC week. I am not satisfied that this was value for money, however, it really was a case of you take what you get.

The hotel was perfectly acceptable if you were paying about a third of what we were paying.

I would probably pick a different hotel if I were visiting in future, but sometimes you don't really have a choice...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have been wanting to write a review for this hotel for sometime, but due to busy work schedule had been putting it off. But it's certainly time for me to give this place a shout out!

I have been staying in this hotel for the past two years on extended stay basis, typically from 3-4 weeks per stay. My fiancé and I are both Marriott Platinum members and we have been staying in different Marriott hotels over the years but not one came close to offering the excellent service and hospitality like the staff at West Loop. The front desk knows us by names and the check-in is exceptionally fast. They practically have the key waiting for you as soon as you walk into the lobby when you have your booking done online prior to your arrival. There are just too many good stuff going on for this hotel; let me break it down to several aspects:

1) The super Marriott bed - once you sleep on one, you will find it hard to sleep on other bed because it is just sooooo comfy! I find it really hard to part with this bed everytime my alarm rings at 6:30 am!
2) The 6 star service - from the housekeeping ladies, to the front desk staff to the fantastic ladies at the Alexander who knows exactly how my fiance and I like our breakfast, to the chirpy and helpful Amber who works at the 12th floor lounge, and the boys who takes you around with the shuttle service; you can really feel that they go out of their to way to make you feel at home!
3) Free shuttle service - the hotel offers free shuttle service to places nearby the Galleria area. I find that really convenient whenever i need to pop over to the mall or to a restaurant nearby and not having to worry for parking.
4) Food - two thumbs up to the spicy chicken wings, the Marriott burger, bread and butter pudding and steak!!! Never fail to order one of these for room service during my month long stay!
5) Location! Location! Location! - the hotel is close by to Galleria mall where you can almost get everything you need under one roof, there is even a tax free shopping office in the mall if you are a foreign visitor and did lots of shopping:), so it is very convenient, and then there are so many good restaurants closeby along the Westheimer stretch; Japanese, Brazilian, Mexican, Greek, Thai; they have it all. My favorite cupcake store, Crave is just around the corner at the Uptown!

Unfortunately, my fiancé and I have decided to reduced traveling in our jobs this year, so we truly miss the hospitality that we get from our stay in the Marriott West Loop. We also dearly miss the familiar faces of the staff who work there. We think that the management must have done something right to keep the staff happy working there; so keep it up and we look forward to our next visit in the near future.

Room Tip: For those who really like a quiet sleep, request for rooms from level 1 - 4 (i think) that are faci...