“This hotel has gone down hill and is still going down”

Stay Express Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport
Ranked #437 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“This hotel has gone down hill and is still going down”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I have stayed at this property for three years and probably 25 times a year. The hotel used to have a different manager who was on top of it all. She was professional and knew what it took to run a proper hotel. It was basically flawless, a perfect inexpensive place to stay. Once the new manager came aboard things started to go down hill and it seems the hill is getting steeper because conditions and customer service are terrible. Reservations get messed up, requests are ingored and the rooms quite frankly suck. Toilets run, some you have to hold the handle down for 20 seconds for it to finish, some of the air conditioners work poorly, often light bulbs dont work, lamp switches don't work, phones don't work and the internet works about 50% of the time. On several recent stays I had to change hotels because of the internet not working, which I needed. One would think after this happening a few times the problem would be taken care of. On a recent stay, and I will add, my FINAL stay, I was telling the desk clerk about the issues with my room. The manager was next to us and could have cared less. Half way through the conversation she just left. Now, I gotten to know the manager since I am very much a regular there. Not only has her managerial duties drastically slipped so has her appearance. She looked a wreck. I do not know her circumstances but whatever they are, someone else needs to be in charge. She is bad for business and has lost a very good customer in me. Over hearing others at the hotel it was thier opinion too. If anyone over this manager reads this you better do something because the place is a mess. The class of people even staying there is bad now. Think before you make a reservation .

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JujT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dallas
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Customer service is very important to me as I also work with the public. Being courteous and friendly goes a long way when you are in the business of selling. For those of you who work the front desk, how hard is it really to be friendly?

I arrived at the location and had to wait behind another customer, which is expected most of the time when you are checking into a hotel. But on this particular day there was an African-American woman that worked the day shift who seemed to not care if any one else was standing there or not. I patiently waited 20 minutes while she laughed, talked, joked and spoke on issues that had nothing to do with checking in a customer. I would have left if I had not arrived in a cab and sent him on his way. She finally turned to me, losing her smile, asked me what I needed. I told her I needed a room on the first floor because I was handicapped. She told me there was no handicapped rooms available and no vacancies on the first floor and placed me on the third floor around on the back side. The elevator was all the way around on the far side of the building towards the back so I (being handicapped) had to tow my luggage around the side of the building and when I got there, a congregation of undesirables seemed to block off the elevator. One of the young men asked me if I needed the "hook-up". I gave him a questioning look and he asked me what was my drug of choice, he had what I needed.

I laughed him off by saying all I needed was a dose of sleep and I would be alright. They let me pass and once I got in the room, I was pleased with the comfort of the room until I noticed a few pets (roaches) crawling around.

After putting away my luggage, I walked back around to the front to speak to her about the congregation by the elevator. She was checking in an elderly couple, and what do you know, she happened to have a room on the first floor for their convenience. My mouth dropped. I was so angry with this rude, discourteous, hateful customer service personel. I turned around and walked out. And then I found out she was the manager. Really?? Overall, the hotel staffing is a total disappointment.

You will never have to worry about taking my money ever again. PROMISE!!

They did have certain desirable amenities, but with the horrible customer service, they aren't even worth mentioning.

Room Tip: This hotel is three floors with only one elevator inconveniently located towards the back of the bui...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank snowmoney
Vancouver
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The staff were always very friendly and helpful . There seemed to be quite a few people who lived here full time . Nothing good or bad , just gave the place a different feel to me . Maybe because it was the first major city on our trip . We used the coupon book and had trouble finding the place at first . It is back from the road and just has a little sign to indicate the drive way entrance .
It was convenient for us to get back into Houston for baseball games . With temperatures over 100 our a/c never let us down ! There were alot of food options close by . Our room was clean and quiet .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The experience that my family and I had was good. We arrived at 2:45 becouse The ckeck in time is 3:00PM, they did not any rooms ready, they had us with about 20 people in the lobby wating untill 4:45 to let us in our rooms. I called the servie desk from the room becouse the TV was out, they had bad reception in the cable or something, the staff was not all that friendly. The lobby was in good condition, very well decorated. We were in a 2 bed room. It was good, decently clean, but the smell was horrible. I turned on a candle to minimise or eliminate the oder, but did not help. The tub was too high, It was hard to get in and out of. The window AC was working perfectly, very confortable temprature. The continental breakfast was pretty good. I didnt like how small the area is to serve the breakfast, but the veriety was nice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank latoyla
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed 1 night at this hotel at this location due to it being so close to the Houston-Hobby airport. It was horrifying. I did not feel safe, it was very, very dirty, vedry old, and bugs flying around the room.
I have never styed in a hotel like this before and I will never stay again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank 2121karla
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I am originally from Chicago and have lived in Houston for over nine years. My brother and his wife were in Houston visiting and stayed at this hotel.(per my recommendation) The experience that they had was terrible. Although they did say that the hotel staff was quite friendly, the conditions at the hotel was terrible. The restroom tub was dirty(with years of dirt and wear and tear). The tiles on the wall and shower was "filthy and I didn't want to even step into the tub, I put some towels on the bottom of the tub before we got in it". "everything was outdated", the sink was draining extremely slow as if it was clogged or something". "the carpet in the room was extremely worn out and needed to be replaced", "the curtains in the room were old and faded needed to be replaced". " The room that we were placed in was all the way in the back of the hotel". I could probably go on and on. The room rate was about $49.00 before taxes and I suppose you get what you pay for. I wish I would have suggested the Super 8 hotel down the street, maybe my family would have had a better experience.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SUZIE-Q1963
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I'm sorry, i forgot this review
We stay at your hotel because off the vulcano in April.
It was a very present stay. I reconmendent to every one to stay in your hotel .
because its very friendly and fine breakfast and a good value.
Im sorry im so late!