“Zero service, outdated bathrooms, pricy rooms.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of La Colombe D'or

La Colombe D'or
La Colombe D'or
Austin, Texas, USA
“Zero service, outdated bathrooms, pricy rooms.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Trip advisor, you have failed me! I feel like I stayed at a different hotel than all of the other reviewers here. I know each review is subjective, but I cannot fathom anyone liking this hotel. If you are used to staying in fine hotels, than the complete lack of service and the disgusting state of the bathroom would be unacceptable. If you are more of a motel kind of gal, then the price of this hotel would leave you stunned. The hotel is far overpriced for the service (non existent) and room (in need of a major update).

We were shown our room but not offered help with our bags or parking our car. We are capable of handling those tasks on our own, but for over $300 a night for a room, one would expect some service. The door to our bathroom would not close because the frame was warped. There is no independent control to heat/AC in the room which resulted in our room being uncomfortably warm. That will be the case 99% of the time in
Houston. The entire bathroom needs to be updated. The fixtures, tile, tub, toilet etc. are all warn, chipped and beyond outdated. A little bleach wouldn't be a bad idea either.

We had requested synthetic pillows because of down allergies. This wasn't taken care of before we retired for the night. We asked the man on duty at the front desk about it and he pretended to not know enough English to help us, but did let me husband rummage around the empty rooms until he found synthetic pillows himself. Again, service?

The location of the hotel is good if you are looking to walk to bars at
Montrose and Westheimer, otherwise, choose again. The hotel's website states it is adjacent to the Menil Collection. It isn't. It is actually about a mile away. Not a bad walk, if you are physically able to do it, so there is no reason for the hotel to lie about it.

Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank DogLawyer

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Aventura, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night during my business trip to Houston. The location is excellent if you are going to Chinese Consulate (just across the road). The suite which I stayed (van gogh) has a very nice dinning room and specious bedroom. I can tell the hotel has a very rich history by walking around it. It has extreme friendly and professional staff. As I realized that left one of my belongings in the room after checked-out and the staff (Roberto and Mary) managed to ship it back to my home address in a very fast pace. The only down side I can say is the Wi-Fi, which needs to improve in terms of coverage and speed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marcos2388
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I was just passing through for one night, but got a good feel for this great place...you can't add character to a hotel and this one definitely has it...highly recommended...the staff was very friendly and accommodating and the location can't be beat...I will definitely come here again...

• Stayed August 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I recently spent one night here to celebrate our anniversary. We felt like we were staying in the home of a relative. We were treated as valued guests with personalized first class service. Any request for something that did not come with the room was accommodated. After a busy work week it was so relaxing to leave the frenzy of Houston for just one night and be treated like royalty. The room was large and was reminiscent of a bygone era. The dining was exquisite. This is a perfect getaway that can be reached easily for those living in Houston.

Room Tip: We preferred the Degas Room on the north side because it is by itself; however, all rooms were priva...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gloriamaris
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Colombe D'or has art every where and is a homage to its namesake in St Paul De Vence in Southern France. It is essentially a restaurant with rooms, rather than a hotel, but what rooms, large well appointed, with some great art. The staff could not have been more helpful . We were a late booking on a quiet Friday night in April, and so they gave us a a better than published rate. Hence I thought it was good value for that level of style. Our room was on the front , didn't seem noisy to us, and yes the bathrooms, need updating for this money. Also the Wi-fi seemed as if it was delivered by exhausted cherubs one kilobit at a time. Its clearly one of the best places to eat in town, but my cravings for Mexican got the better of me , but that's no reflection on them, just me. Its a small boutique, and friendly hotel, we really liked it. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adam S
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This remarkable tiny hotel was the home (mansion) of the founder of ESSO, now EXXON! I am sure that it was in the country when it was built, almost 100 years ago. It is like having your own private chateau - in Houston. They have only six (count them, 6) Suites! Each named after a great artist, with the suite decorated in that theme... each suite has its own private dining room, so you have very private meals, provided by their hotel restaurant, one of the very finest in Houston. On the first floor (all suites are on the 2nd floor - no elevator) there is a elegant cocktail lounge, a "library room" for meeting with folks and a loverly restaurant, with four different rooms. Recently re-decorated, it is delightful... great meno and fine wine list. Celebs stay here for the privacy and the charm & comfort. Close to both downtown and the Galleria. The perfect hidaway for the big city of Houston, recently selected by Forbes Magazine as "The Coolest City in America!" So the secret is out! Steve Zimmerman, the owner/host is a delight and will make sure it is all perfect for you! BTW, the suite cost is no more than a single room at a fancy hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Katy, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This hotel has so much potential, but just doesn't seem to get it right. My wife and I wanted a nice stay-cation in Houston and decided on La Colombe D'or. From what we could find out it seemed like a nice Boutique type hotel that would be perfect. It was close to the Museum District and close to great dinning. Unfortunately the hotel seems to just be getting by on its reputation from the late 80s and early 90s. The bathrooms are woefully out-of-date, to the point they are almost decrepit. I can understand period fixtures, but there is no excuse for shoddy 1980s workman ship. It just doesn't seem that they owners really want to invest any money into the property. The pictures on the website of the outside of the building are deceptive. Because of the angle and lens used it appears that the hotel is set far away from the road and at the back of a long drive. Actually it sets right on Montrose Blvd. and the road noise in the rooms is incredible. Also the bar across the street seems to pump its music directly into the hotel. If you are looking for a quite romantic get-away I would advise that you look elsewhere.

The best thing that could happen to this establishment is if it were purchased by a local investor and turned into a bed and breakfast. The personal attention to detail that truly makes for great establishment is just not there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple