“Pretentious, decrepit, no services or facilities”
Review of La Colombe D'or

La Colombe D'or
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Magnificent rooms that have been left to decay. The baths and sinks are chipped and discolored. They were too awful to use. Some staff were nice, but not all. No breakfast facilities, not even a coffee jug and pastry. "Go to Starbucks" I was told. No proper front desk. Poor keys and locks. This place could be transformed by a loving owner. Until that happens, avoid.

• Stayed: February 2012
7  Thank Cpe1991
There are newer reviews for La Colombe D'or

Reviewed August 21, 2011

I did not stay at the hotel, but dined at their restaurant, Cinq. I had heard that the restaurant was extremely nice, but my boyfriend and i were really disappointed. It was not busy at all, and this was a Saturday night. We were seated in the back (not that we care), we would have given this the reason as to why our service was so poor, but like i said, it was slow, so that could not have been the reason.

It took a good 10 minutes before someone came by for our drink order and then another 10 minutes before we received them. We ordered off the restaurant week menu (which should be no less quality than the regular menu) and both our appetizers and entrées were lackluster.

My boyfriend had the seafood ceviche, which should be renamed baby octopus ceviche...there were exactly 2 shrimps in the entire thing, it was merely ok. I had the tomato gazpacho, nothing special, just ok. The entrées were shrimp étoufée and a pork chop. The pork chop was good, but nothing out of this world amazing that i couldn't have cooked in my own house. The shrimp étoufée on the other had was just bad. It tasted like a reheated frozen meal. Really disappointing. No one even came to see if we were happy with our meals, i'm pretty sure we only saw our waiter 3 times. I will say that the desserts were excellent; key lime pie with chili powder mousse and bread pudding; really very good.

As far as nice restaurants go in Houston, I'd say skip Cinq and explore the many other options around the city.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lulu4014
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I can't review the hotel, but we did dine at their Restaurant CINQ. It was a week night and didn't seem that busy. We started out by ordering some good wine and immediately got the attention of a manager, who waited on us for the remainder of our meal. We received wonderful service. I enjoyed my meal except for some slightly chewy octopus that we tried on on the manager's recommendation. Lobster bisque was delicious. I would go again on my next visit to Houston. I've eaten in better restaurants, but this is pretty good. I love the way they turned a gorgeous old house into a hotel & restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TXRedhead86
Reviewed February 14, 2009

My husband and I went to this hotel's restaurant to celebrate Valentine's Day. The waiter was impatient and rude. He behaved as if we were the ones to thank him for being at the restaurant. Unfortunately, the atmosphere did not change throughout the evening, the service continued inattentive and the food came cold. We were disappointed that a restaurant of that reputation was unable to deliver a good ambiance, and plates that were presented, and tasted, merely ordinary.

Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank lulubaHouston
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston
Reviewed October 10, 2005

I went to an auction a while back ago and paid $300 for a $500 value gift certificate to stay in one of the "villas" at La Colombe D'or.What a disappointment it turned out to be! The décor was horrendous, the room was dirty and the service…. What service? First of all, it seems like Stevie Wonder put the room together, nothing matched and everything was old and cheap (you should have seen the carpet, priceless). There was a smashed mosquito on the wall with blood all around it, some take-out food left in the freezer by a former guest, no ice bucket and the soap in the bathroom was still in its plastic bottle from the store! The patio was pretty amazing as well. Most of the plants were dead, and the ones still alive looked like they wanted to commit suicide, any 5-year-old kid would do a better job with the landscaping. In conclusion, save your money and go to the Hotel Derek or the Doubletree.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2005

This restaurant is spectacular. The food, the art, the way they greet you when you first walk in, the flowers. My husband and i were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and we were very happy with everything. We have been back twice and truly have enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank smallett
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 12, 2004

This is a beautiful building in body but not in soul. The decor and furnishings are consitent with $300 per night lodgings. But sadly, the service is oh so poor. Permit me to elaborate ... the staff are more than a little rude ... they are extremely rude ... and did I mention arrogant? In my humble opinion, they need to enrol at charm school and, Mr Z - the manager/owner, you can do better. You know that you can.
There are simply too many fine hotels in Space City to have to tolerate this beautiful building masquerading as a hotel.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member