“Very comfortable!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, Alabama
“Very comfortable!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2006

For my first visit to Houston, I couldn't have picked a better hotel. Don't pay for valet or garage parking, park in their free parking next to the Walgreens on Sage Road, which is on the side of the hotel. The hotel staff was friendly, and the king guest room was spacious and beautifully decorated. I was on the 14th floor which gave a beautiful view. I was able to actually see my car in the parking lot outside of my window. There is an A/V jack on the side of the television just in case you would like to bring a DVD player, or you can pay $12.99 for a pay per view movie. The toiletries are upscale, and the large spa like shower head gives a wonderful shower. The best thing about the room is the bed, the bed, the bed!!! I know there are about 8 pillows already on the bed, and two more in the closet.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank Tawnyday

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 1, 2006

My family and I had a lovely stay the JW Marriott. We rented a car and drove from the IAH airport all the way to the JW, which took about a half hourwithout traffic. There was a free parking lot right around the cornor. It was across the street from the hotel and next to a Walgreens. The lot was quite small and not protected in anyway (ie no security), but it was a good area, so I felt the car was safe. Valet parking is avalable and those boys who park your car are absolute sweethearts!

Our rooms were quite nice. Our room had:
-Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, lotion, and mouth wash
-Hair dryer and iron
-Towels were quite clean and didn't have funny odor. One bathrobe in the closet plus exra blankets.
Internet access was not free! But, if you want to check in to your plane or find directions, the front desk was helpful.
As other reviews said, the beds were the best part! They had a pillow top mattress and I slept like a baby the entire night. You MUST ask to get the linens cleaned. Just place a card found on the desk on your bed.

There is a shuttle serice to go to places close to the hotel. It runs until 11PM. I would adivse taking your own directions though just in case. Also, the Galleria was RIGHT across the street. It was a great way to kill a little time or grab something to eat (go to Le Madeline's--cheap french food). As for Marriott food, I hate to say it, but it wasn't that good for a hotel resturante. It was overpriced. The positive was that it was quick and great service.

Overall, great value and nice place. I would reccommend people to stay there.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank DasEFX
Reviewed April 17, 2006

I was thoroughly disappointed. What is a 4 star hotel? If you think you know, then this hotel is not one. There is one exception. The bed is very comfortable. There are lots of pillows, and if you want the bed changed each day, then just place the placard on the bed and they will do it. However, when we arrived, I listened to a front desk clerk talk rudely to a guest that was checking in. He wanted a room with two beds. She said in several different ways that he would get a king bed, with a sofa sleeper for his two small daughters. I found displeasure in the robotic tone of her voice and the aggressive expression on her face towards him. You could tell he was very unhappy. I was glad when someone else asked to assist us other than her. When checking in with the other clerk, we asked for a crib for our baby. When we got to our room, we were given a refrigerator. The gentleman seemed confused and went to get the crib. Upon returning, he had no clue how to put it together. My husband took 5 minutes to put it together, yet we still tipped him. Lastly, there were stains on our furniture. With all of this, I advised the front desk of our discontent. The young lady stated she would provide us with a dinner voucher. So we agreed this would be a great apology. We left for the day to return to a tray in our room with sparsely placed cheese and pieces of fruit on it. I was stupefied. I called for the manager and advised him of the double mindedness of his staff. He started off defending her, and then when I told him I believe in writing reviews on hotels, well, let’s say his tune changed. All in all, this is not the right hotel for you if you are expecting to be treated like you are in a 4 star hotel. However, if you are concerned about being close to the Galleria, then that is the other exception.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank Danise J
houston
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Great new rooms and I love the hallway carpet design -modern and colorful, yet elegant. The Gym has all new equipment makes it fun to work out again! Nice business center and convenient sundry shop next to the front desk. It was nice they walked me to the elevator, no-one has done that for me before, usually you're on your own to find it. 24 hour room service makes it nice too, when you need a late night snack!
I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank RDBarker
new york, ny
Reviewed February 21, 2006

This hotel is in a great location. The gym is good and there are lots of stores plus the galleria plus free parking around back. Rooms were big and very comfortable. The front desk service was variable but overall a good deal especially if you can get a good internet rate. We thought about some of the more "boutique" hotels but this is definitely a better bet.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank otraveler
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 2, 2005

This hotel was wonderful with just a few exceptions. The lobby is small but nice (not new, but still luxe). It smells wonderful - cherry vanilla or some other scented oil is being circulated.

The price was high $169 - but the rooms were just gorgeous. Double sheeted, lots of pillows, an easy chair and an ottoman, a cute window seat, a nice sun shade on the window that keeps out the light but lets in some ambience. There was a great plasma screen TV with plenty of free cable channels. There is a great dressing area and a comfy robe in every room. The tub was comfy and the water pressure was great. The toiletries are upscale and you'll want to take them home.

This hotel is right across the street from the Galleria. A plus for shopping - a downside for traffic. Leave at least 45 minutes for a ride to either airport. I thought parking was a bit high but there is a free self parking lot across the street. Just be careful in the traffic.

My only complaints are that the air conditioner didn't get as cool as I like, and the restaurant was pretty lackluster in ambience and choices (our server was great, though). No complaints about the food, though. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank Corgimom
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2005

We stayed overnight for our anniversary on July 14, 2005. It is a very nice hotel with a great lobby. Staff was very friendly. Our room was fabulous! The hotel was in the process of remodeling but we never saw any of this going on. Very quiet room. I think we got one of the newly redone rooms because it was beautiful! Bathroom had seperate sink area with many complimentary toiletries including cotten balls and Q-tips. Bed had feather mattress top and a feather duvet with lots of pillows. Also on the end of the bed was a knit throw. The tv offered many channels including HGTV. There was a coffee pot and 2 kinds of hot tea and 2 free bottles of water. The window overlooked the Galleria Mall and busy Westeimer. There was a window seat with a cushion and 2 pillows and I loved laying there with the throw watching the traffic. We did not eat any of the hotel food so cant say anything about that. We loved our stay and will definitly go again!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member