“Nice hotel, nice rooms”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New
“Nice hotel, nice rooms”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a night with some friends. First off, the hotel staff sent us to a room which hadn't finished being cleaned yet. They apologized and gave us a bigger room and some marriott points which was nice. The concierge lounge is nice, and the lobby is nice as well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Antonio
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The location was excellent. It is located across the street from the Galleria Mall and within walking distance or a short drive to many restaurants within all price ranges. The self-parking spots are small and cramped so be aware if you are driving a large vehiclke or SUV. We decided to valet and it was excellent. It was also nice to have a Starbucks in the lobby. The only con is that it is small and doesnt carry all of the food items of a larger Starbucks. Also be aware that not all of the rooms have a mini-fridge although the cabinets in the room were built to hold one. We asked about having a fridge brought up to nour room but we were told that they ran out. We were informed that a fridge would only be provided if there was a medical need for one. We were also told that we needed to request a fridge in advance. However, we were not informed of this when we booked nor is it listed anywhere on the hotel website. In general, the hotel employees were very nice and attentive.

Room Tip: If you need a mini-fridge, request it at the time you book your stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RobertSATX
Julia T, Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Hi RobertSATX!

Thank you for your review!

It was so nice to hear your positive comments about our location, the excellent valet experience and our staff service, I appreciate the great feedback!

You are correct, we do not have refrigerators in all guest rooms, however, I am excited to share that we are beginning a comprehensive renovation this year, and the scope of the project includes elevators, escalators, guest rooms with reconfigured bathrooms (which makes the room much larger), refrigerators in all rooms, new televisions, a new health club, and more.

As a native San Antonian myself, I warmly welcome you back to Houston, and hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again at the JW Marriott Galleria!

Warm Regards,

Julia Turcotte
Director of Hotel Operations
uk
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Location, service and rooms we good. Beds very comfortable.
The bar downstairs was a bit slow with the service and a bit pricy but you do not have to walk far to find other places to eat and drink
Right across from the Galleria mall with loads of shopping.
Starbucks on site but only open from 6-11am.
Breakfast was amazing full service very nice.

Room Tip: Request one away form the lifts
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Everything about my stay here was seamless, comfortable, and really well done. The front desk folks were helpful. Parking is pretty easy. The in-house restaurant was excellent. Room service was prompt and very efficient. All in all, it is one of the really well orchestrated hotel experiences I've had so far.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Pro's: Fitness Center, local restaurants, local shopping
Con's: Pricey hotel compared to competition

The hotel fitness center is the star of this property, and it is the best I've seen at any hotel. It's located on the 5th floor. There are about a dozen cardio machines and a separate complete weight room. The fitness center has a hot tub, and a small connecting pool that is partially indoors. The outdoor pool area has room for sun bathing. On the 3rd floor there is a racketball and basketball court. I didn't see this so I can't comment on the 3rd floor but I expect that this is done to the same high level as the gym.

The public areas are very nice looking and compare well against high end hotels. This seems more of a high end business class hotel rather than a luxury hotel like a Four Seasons or St Regis.

The rooms are nice. They are neither a pro nor a con, mine seemed like a nice basic Marriott hotel room. I wouldn't know that this was a JW Marriott as opposed to a regular Marriott based on the room. I don't know if I was upgraded or not, but the room had the normal Marriott room furniture and look with a sofa that may have been a pull out bed.

The room service food is basic hotel room service food. There are lots of very close restaurants (walking distance) of all types and prices.

There is a club lounge on the 22nd floor that has drinks and food in the morning and evening, and non-alcoholic drinks at other times. There may be a lunch service, I didn't see it so I can't confirm.

I really want to like this hotel, but find I'm very ambivalent about it. It was fine and I wouldn't mind staying here again, but have no reason other than the gym to go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher is better for noise. On the 15th floor the room was definitely quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank CraigDallas
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The best part of our stay was the quiet room. I don't think we heard one sound from the hall or adjoining rooms the whole time we were there. Unfortunately I didn't get the name of the man working the front desk the morning we left, but he made sure we got a quick shuttle to the airport!

Room Tip: Our room was on the 8th floor and was so nice and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GinaRamp
Danville, California
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Just finished my first stay here and loved every minute of it. I received a nice 13th fl corner king exactly where I wanted it (end of hall) very quiet. Ordered room service for dinner and the food was good and reasonably priced (both of which are rarities elsewhere).Free shuttle to nearby offices (1mi). As noted elsewhere location is ideal for restaurants - many nearby ranging from the always good value Cheesecake Factory to III Forks steakhouse across the street. Great location and the rooms are nice and spacious. Can't beat JW.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business