“Comfortable but needs renovation”

JW Marriott Houston
Ranked #30 of 516 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, CA
“Comfortable but needs renovation”
Reviewed October 22, 2008

This hotel is OK. The location can't be beat if you want to be close to the Galleria for evening eats and shopping after work. However, it is an older building and is somewhat cramped.

The hotel lobby bar is really awful. It's almost like someone took a cafe and a bar and tried to put them together. Picture this: Starbucks meets the W Hotel. That's what the bar feels like. It is way too bright and the layout is too open. You can also catch the odor of bleach from the open kitchen counter that is connected to the bar. Totally weird and ugly.

It actually reminds me of an airline lounge a bit.

Otherwise, the hotel was fine - very comfortable beds. However, they need to renovate the hotel and rethink the whole lobby layout.

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank juanvaldez123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Sugah Britches and I stayed at this truly lovely property for my birthday last weekend (8/2). A beautiful room and a most heavenly bed! I absolutely LOVED the padded window box seat--what a great place to gaze over the city or sit and read a magazine (I did both). The nightly room refresh and turndown service was a nice touch. We slept like babies and can't wait to return again SOON!

• Liked — The bed!
  • Disliked — Having to check-out and leave.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank srfjustme
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2008

The JW has one giant plus, and that's its location. We literally walked a half-block to the Galleria, and the other areas around the hotel were safe and had lots to do. Everything else about the hotel was passable, but nothing to write home about. The lobby was small, with claustrophobically low ceilings, and not what you'd expect from an upscale brand like JW. The parking garage was confusing and a little on the shady side. The rooms were fine (ours actually did have a cute little window seat) but the bathrooms and dressing areas were tiny and had little counter space. On the whole, it was fine, but nothing more than adequate.

On a side note: there are great deals to be had on rooms at this hotel - we got ours for a song!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No special touches like you normally get with JW Marriott brand
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kbugs24
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 8, 2008

We stayed on club level room in early June with our 2 preschool aged kids. The room was well appointed, standard size, and clean. We were pleased with our room. The view is nothing exciting, but what we expected. The fitness area is beautiful, however, the pool is very small. We were hoping to take our children swimming but skipped it once we saw the VERY small indoor/outdoor pool. The lobby is nice. There is a Starbucks that is open everyday but Sunday. You can valet for $25 or self park in the garage for $15 (the room elevators go directly to the garage). The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The club level breakfast was fantastic and perfect if you are traveling with kids. My only complaint is that there was no highchair in the club breakfast area. I realize they cater to business travelers, but it would have been nice. Refrigerator and coffee maker in the room. Nice and big flat screen tv was a plus. The crib was waiting in the room when we arrived. We called down to ask for linens for the crib (pack&play) and they promptly brought us an actual crib sheet. Most hotels bring you a large sheet to put in the crib. We were very pleased and impressed by this. We will be back to this hotel!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TravlinTXFamily
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Stayed here during the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) and found the hotel very pleasant.

Experience at the front desk during check in and every time I had a query involved a wait, but the staff were pleasant and helpful when they did get to me. This might have more to do with the hotel being particularly busy due to OTC week.

Hotel bar was very small but did serve OK sushi till late in the evening at a price so. Service at the bar and tables were good throughout my stay.

Parking charge was $15 if you chose not to valet.

Room was at a standard you would expect from this hotel with an added bonus of a nice new flat screen TV. Bathroom did need some refurbishment but really only a small complaint. No free internet was not what I would have expected from a hotel of this caliber.

Swimming pool is definitely not for the fitness enthusiast. It is far too small unless you don't mind swimming very short lengths or in a repetitive circle. Gym itself looked well equipped after a brief walk around.

Destino restaurant served the usual fair for breakfast that was nothing spectacular.

Overall I had a good experience and would recommend this hotel for access to the Galleria or surrounding restaurants and bars which are all only a short walk away.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Charleston, SC
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I stayed at the JW Marriot for three nights for a medical conference. The room was spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable to me. My roommate who slept in an adjacent bed woke covered in red itchy spots. Whether it was bed bugs or over bleaching of the linens we will never know.

The workout facility was quite nice with plenty of cardio equipment, weight machines and a little room for yoga/stretching.

The business center charges 69 cents per minute for internet access and there is no free WiFi. Hotels of this quality generally provide this service for free so I was slightly dissappointed.

I found the concierge to be very rude when she said she was "not allowed" to help me book transportation to the airport. I thought that was within her job description. When I mentioned that to her she became angry and as I walked away she continued to sass at me. Not professional at all. The remainer of the staff was pleasant enough to make up for it though.

• Liked — nice lounge and workout facility
  • Disliked — business facility
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank isidella
South Carolina
Reviewed April 17, 2008

When I arrived around 5:00 pm the front desk was pretty busy. Front desk attendant that checked me in was friendly and provided me with my room number and key. When I arrived in the room, I noticed the bed linens looked as if someone had sat on the bed and soap in the sink and shower were opened from their wrapper and appeared used. I decided to go back to the front desk and try for another room (wondering what else wasn't clean or ready in my first room). The same attendant at the desk provided me with a new room on the 18th floor. Apologized and sent me on my way. I arrived in the room and decided I better check it out (seeing a lot of hype these days about unclean rooms). This room appeared in good shape however there was hair in the tub/shower. I then decided to call the manager because I really didn't want to go back to the front desk.

The manager apologized and mentioned she would send housekeeping to re-clean the room. I mentioned I was heading out so while I went to dinner, housekeeping was supposed to come and work on my room. They did provide me with turn down service but the shower had not been cleaned. I decided I was too tired to deal with it and took hot water and rinsed the shower out myself.

My bill was $289/night, $15 for self park (parking garage a bit confusing), $12 for internet connection etc. which is pretty standard for Houston. Fitness Center was nice and did have a good weight room.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — Which it was cleaner!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business