“Amazing hotel with minimal quirks”

JW Marriott Houston
Ranked #30 of 515 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Amazing hotel with minimal quirks”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at the JW this past weekend as I gotten this bundled with my flight from Expedia. I've stayed in other Marriott properties but this might beat them. Upon enterting there is the lobby that was very spacious and well lit. The concerige desk was to the immediate right and check in desk a lil further.
I had gotten a room on the 4th floor but I asked if there was one closer to elevator banks which they did on the 5th. The staff who checked me in was Steven and made mention where the smoking area was. Thank ya Steven from Steven..
Upon entering the room I saw how large it was. There was 2 bottles of complimentary water in the room. Closet had ironing board..iron..extra pillow ..and odd..extra toilet paper roll...as well as a nice bathrobe.
Tv was not hd...large..but it didn't matter as you don't do much tv watchin while on vacation. There was a panal to the tv on the side of cabinet which u can connect ur camcorder or computer to it..if i recall. Small couch in room over by wall..decent size workdesk but chair seemed a bit frayed. The chocolate on bed was nice.
The bathroom..yes it was small...still it could been better with a heat lamp that most hotels have. Also sadly there was hardly hot water in those days I was there...there was warm but not hot..
There's a hidden coffee maker INSIDE the tv cabinet and what may have been a small frig that has been removed.
The bed..It felt firm and I slept pretty good.
There's an onsite restaurant and Starbucks...I didn't partake either.
There's a really great gym on 5th floor..an indoor outdoor pool ..a whirlpool close by...a free weights section also connects you to a sauna room nearby. The outside pool is nice to lounge around at.

Smoking is outside to the doorway leading to where valet cars are driven to and fro the lot. That same smoking area must be a wind tunnel as I at times had wicked time lighting up.

Still I loved my time there and the price while a tad high in my opinion and small bathroom w tepid warm water...I would do it again.

• Stayed September 2013
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and highlighting some of the strengths of our hotel experience. I really appreciate your calling to our attention the issue you experienced with the water not warming appropriately. We have investigated the issue and did increase the temperature setting as a result.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you on your next visit to Houston!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel is great, definitely my favorite to stay in Houston. I used to stay at the JW every week, where the front desk staff remembered my name, and would make conversation (for example, getting back on a Monday they'd ask me about my specific weekend plans, which we talked about the prior week). The staff in the concierge lounge was fantastic and very attentive. Again, these staff members learned my name, and we'd chat every week.
As far as the hotel itself, it could use a little bit of a makeover in some areas where you can tell it is dated.
This hotel has the best gym I've ever seen inside a hotel. I know they have some local people that pay monthly just to use the gym (if that tells you anything about the quality). The gym is always clean, always has staff available.. and even has a half court basketball court (not the best quality floor though) and a squash court (which I didn't use).
Even though I was a business traveler, I'd say this hotel is also great for families. The pool is a swim in/swim out pool (swim under the divider to enter/exit the building) and has a great pool deck for hanging out during the day.
Will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Wow! Thank you Paul for writing such an exceptional review. I want you to know that I printed this out and read it to our entire front office team. It so perfectly captures exactly how we want each and every guest to feel. So many of our visitors are here for business and stay with us often and we strive to ensure that being at the JW feels warm and comfortable as if they were staying with friends.

Thank you also for pointing out some of our prized amenities! We are proud to have these to offer our guests.

We hope to see you again real soon and catch up with you.
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here this past weekend for a mother-daughter shopping trip to the Galleria. Great location on Westheimer with a very fast valet service! Had breakfast on the second floor and the food was pretty good, but the hostess was SO friendly! That's refreshing, especially for a hotel! The bed and comforter were not the best I've ever experienced, but I'm picky when it concerns my sleeping situation! I would stay here again though due to the excellent service!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you Carolyn for recognizing our staff! We are very lucky to have such a great team delivering personal and warm service in South Coast Grill. We also take pride in extending a big "Texas" welcome on the front drive from all our valet staff. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and found our location convenient for all your shopping needs. Please come see us again soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here while on Business this week. The Hotel was a good choice for the quick business trip to Houston. The Hotel is orientated for the business man. Great rooms, good service and nice bar for business conversations.

Room Tip: Go for the elite room with breakfast included
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott Houston by the Galleria for one night in September. The hotel is very nicely kept, although the property itself is not up to the standards of other JW Marriott. I guess when the new JW Marriott in downtown will be ready, this will be downgraded to a lower class.
The staff, from front desk to valet are really amazing. Staff is probably the best part of any Marriott stay. In general I don't like the décor of Marriott hotels, but this is obviously a very personal matter. Good hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff in your review. We are very proud of their committment to our guests and it means so much that you have taken the time to share it with our online community. Rest assured that we will also share it with all our associates.

You also mentioned that your felt the hotel was not up to the JW standard as far as the look and feel. I am excited to let you know that we will be updating the rooms early next summer with a 23 million dollar investment that will be sure to appeal to our JW loyal guests. Until then just as you mentioned we will ensure that our guest rooms, as well as the rest of the building continues to be well maintained and that every guest receives an authentic and intuitve service experience. Thank you and we look forward to having you visit again soon.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed here twice in the past 3 months, and the experiences I have had have been good.

The service is very good, reception, lounge, room service and cleaning are all great at good service. The rooms are still in an old-ish decor, but clean and well kept. 'Shower Power' is great with plenty of hot water. The view is good, as the hotel is not surrounded by other tall buildings, plenty of light in most rooms. The gym is large, functional and with plenty of treadmills and equipment. The pool is both in and out door, though not a lap pool. Overall the gym has the basis for a good work out. The 22nd floor lounge is excellent, both breakfast and 'evening snack' is very well laid out and inviting.
I have used room service, which was prompt and within the advised 30 minutes. The dry cleaning service is also very handy, the cleaned clothes are hung directly into your closet. I have received several packets by UPS, also no problem, delivered to my room when I got back in the evening. Proximity to the Galleria mall is very handy, literally across the street.
The parking is below the hotel in two sub floors, it can be quite full and there is not a huge amount of space, but I have always found a space for the car. Note that the Starbucks close in the afternoon.

All in all, a very uncomplicated hotel to live in, with great service. Perhaps a bit on the expensive side, but in Houston you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator as they are on the very noisy side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your very detailed review of our services the hotel offers. I am pleased that we met your expectations, but even more pleased that you indicated that you will return in the future. Thank you again for the nice comments!
Denver
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This Galleria location is big on service. From check-in to room service, it's all good. I especially appreciate that you can get room service 24/7. After 11:00 PM you can get cold items like a chicken Ceasar or a turkey club, but the service being available at all is a huge plus for this property. My room was huge compared to standard Marriott hotel rooms and the amenities are upscale - the kind you really want to pack and bring home! The hotel is close to that incredible Houston Galleria with great shopping and restaurants in walking distance. It only took me 20 minutes to get to my meetings downtown in morning traffic. Very convenient. I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay above the 3rd floor. The Westheimer side traffic dies down in the evenings and so noise is mini...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! It is always a pleasure when one of our guests highlights the service they recieved. We switched the JW bathroom amenities last year and we have recieved nothing but great comments on the new Aromatherapy Associates products, not to mention that like you many of our guests take them home! The scents for the shampoo, conditioner and lotion were specially crafted for the JW brand.

Thank you again for recognizing our hotel and we hope your travels bring you back soon!