Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks(Houston)(Great Value!)
$90
$82
$178
$141
Hilton.com
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of $200/night.

$100
$93
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $120/night.

$189
Westin.com
$159
$101
$89
$280
$138
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of $202/night.

$200
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $232/night.

$130
$120
The Houstonian(Houston)
$252
$239
Preferred Hotels
2,189 results
All reviewsbagel shopeinstein bagelsspindletop restaurantshula's steakhouseeinstein brotherslobby barnice hotelvalet parkingguest servicesdowntown areaconvention centerbusiness tripbusiness hotelcorner roomself parkbreakfast buffethotel shuttle
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Everything about this hotel seems to fall into the "it'll do in a pinch" category, but there's nothing that makes you _want_ to stay here.

The room is a decent size, and of ok comfort (the bed's not amazing, but it's not terrible).

There's wifi in the rooms, although you pay $10 extra a day for it. There's a desk, but the desk chair's too low for it (so you have to sit like a T-Rex, with your hands below your chin to use you laptop).

The aircon didn't seem to work very well, so my room was a bit too warm (but not so hot that I'd call the front desk and request they send up an engineer).

I wasn't impressed with the coffee maker in the room - paper cups and powdered creamer? Yuck. Made me wonder if that's a deliberate tactic to try and drum up more business for the Starbucks in the lobby? There's no mini bar in the room, so the bottled water that's available is warm (and they're charging $3.50 for a small bottle).

The bathroom is nice, and the toiletries are good quality. The room was very clean (I could see my reflection in every gleaming surface in the bathroon). The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful when I checked in. The room was quiet, although the looonng fall down to the atrium lobby from the hallway was a little disconcerting.

All in all, a bit disappointing for a major business hotel, and there have got to be nicer places to stay in Houston.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I am referring to the design. This is an atrium hotel and the rooms start around the 6th floor or higher. The elevators are glass and face the atrium. If your rooms are away from the elevators it feels kind of freaky walking down the halls to your rooms because there is such a long drop down. I noticed the time before my last visit they asked me right away if I wanted to be high or low or something and I thought that was odd, until I stayed up high and realized why they asked. One employee confided to me on my last visit this past week that a "handful" of people have "gone over the railings" to commit suicide. Sometimes they are people who come in there just to do that. So that kind of freaked me out a little and frankly I think that they should do something like add glass walls to prevent that. They do have a nice gift shop and cafe, some buzz in the var/restaurant. Plus a decent location and a car rental there. But the suicide thing there is pretty scary.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I stayed here August 2nd, 2009 with my girlfriend to celebrate our times we have spent together over the last 5 years.

I must say from the minute I checked in I wanted to check out. The only staff members that had any service orientated attitude was the kind young lady at the valet as well as the valets, were very polite and welcoming.

Let me start by saying I am actually in the hotel business (I own and operate a hotel) so I am quite aware of how the hospitality business operates or how it should be operated. I must also add that I am not a picky person, nor am I critical when it comes to certain elements in this industry. However, I am critical when the service is way below average or when the employees come across like they have a chip on their shoulder. Rude, arrogant and snooty is not even the words I can describe how these two individuals acted, there are no words to even describe how they acted. No service was presented and they failed to please a person paying $200+/night to stay at their establishment. I usually stay at the Hilton America (down the street) when I am back in Houston, however they were full on this particular evening, so I decided to give the Hyatt a shot.

When I checked in, I was greeted with a rude, arrogant front desk clerk, that didn't even bother welcoming me or looking me in the eyes when speaking to me. I am under the impression that she pre-judged my girlfriend and I based on our appearance (I was super casually dressed, the way I like it, unlike most of the hotel patrons--jeans and a shirt is how I do it when I am relaxing). It might have been the fact that we are in our late 20s, nonetheless, you should not judge a book by its cover and everybody should be treated fairly with a smile and a warm welcome, not with a snobby attitude and with an attitude and that she is doing me a favor by checking me in. This really did not sit with me, but this is just the beginning. It took her 20 minutes to find my reservation and she insisted that I was not in the computer. After 20 minutes of standing in front of her and waiting to fix the "error," she finally found my reservation with no apology or little did she even show that she had made the error and not I. After that she proceeded to tell me that there were no more smoking rooms, even though I specifically booked this. Her explanation was that by using a third party website (I used hotwire.com) that the hotel had no control and there was nothing they could do. I was fine with this explanation, (even though hotwire.com should not have booked this room, being there were no smoking rooms left, in conclusion it was the website's fault, not the hotels or hers---) However the way she conducted herself explaining it to me, she really made myself and partner feel like we were second class individuals. She could have easily explained it in a caring fashion or service orientated manner, versus in a way that poured arrogance and snobbishness and she did not care about the service one is supposed to offer at a hotel of this magnitude or any hotel for the matter. I have stayed in hotels of all sizes and prices and I could have found more of an authentic character at a motel 6 rather than this snooty young lady.

As I unlocked my room door we arrived in a room that had 2 twin beds.... once again, hotwire.com has betrayed me, as I had booked a king size bed. I called downstairs to see if there was a solution or some sort to fix this issue... this was worst part of my experience of my stay at the Hyatt.. An individual by the name of "Cole" picked up the phone. I explained the situation and he gave me the run around once again about the "third party" booking, etc... But the way this guy explained the situation was even worse than the young snobby lady at the counter... this guy actually got defensive and started be-little-ling me and it appeared he had lost his cool and he actually told me "next time don't use one of those websites we don't recommend them you know?..." I was furious with this response and demeanor.. as obviously hotwire.com has a working relationship with them. He said he could do absolutely nothing to fix the issue and then proceeded to say "i know you're angry, but hey.. i cant do anything, have a good night sir.." and hung up on me before I could even get a word in... this is unacceptable behavior for somebody that is in an industry that revolves around service and pleasing your guests. I was about to call back to speak to the manager on duty, but I then came to the logical conclusion that if this individual (and the snob at the front desk) were still working at this establishment, this is only a reflection of the management and I would assume that the manager most likely had the same pretentious, stuck up attitude, so I decided to retire instead, in my own bed, separated from my girlfriend, hell what a romantic evening! NOT!

As far as the room goes, they were clean, neat and had a nice view. Great bed and an LCD TV equipped with pay-tv. A coffee maker with two pouches of coffee Kind of disappointed they did not have the standard mini-bar, but that is minor. We did not use the restaurant, so I can't comment on food quality. For the price of the room, I can say that it is a tad over-priced, but it is in downtown Houston so it comes with the territory.

Once again, as I've noted again, I have stayed at all types of hotels ... I remember the Ritz Carlton I stayed at in NYC a few years ago had a very nice staff... smiles all around and a real passion for service. And that is a Ritz Carlton... a leap ahead of a Hyatt.

I would strongly discourage staying here at any cost, you are much better staying in The Hilton Americas down the street or even the lower grade Double Tree down the street, were a welcoming and fun attitude combined with a professional attitude was felt... not because it is not a nice hotel, but purely based on the arrogance and disrespect I felt throughout my stay from this ungracious, pretentious staff. After this review I am writing an email to the top execs atf Hyatt (they probably could careless as well) about my experience with this Cole individual. He really is an embarrassment to this place and it is no wonder that the Hyatt family of hotels are seldom heard about in Hotel circles in 2010. Not only am I about 10 years the elder of this rude individual, but he purely treated my polite inquiry like I was some sort of kid staying at the hotel on his prom night.. nothing satisfied me about his approach and I was furious and it purely ruined a great night that we had eating in Mid Town before we arrived to retire. Next time I will remember to roll up wearing a Baroni suit and wave my bank statement, then maybe they would have treated me with dignity and a medium level of respect..I would suggest to management, they they perhaps give an opportunity to older individuals that actually understand a base level of respect and service... not to what appeared spoiled college kids, with no clue and a lack of communication and a clueless approach to service...

Avoid at all costs...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tulumtom
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I've stayed twice this week at the Hyatt Regency in Houston. To be honest, I would have expected a bit more in terms of service. The rates are not cheap. The attitude of some of the front desk staff on my second visit was, suffice it to say, not the most welcoming. It leaves a poor first impression.

I'm writing this review in my room. The hotel is well appointed. The bars and restaurants downstairs are pretty good places to get a good meal. I don't see how "Proudly serving Starbucks" can be a proudly displayed at such an establishment though :-).

Its a good hotel, its not a great hotel. I would rather stay at the St Regis.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Hourh-mgr, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2010

We appreciate your comments and have reviewed them with our staff. When your travel plans bring you back to Houston, we do hope you’ll choose Hyatt.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel twice and haven't had a major complaint. On both occasions, I was impressed with the size of the rooms and how quiet the floor was (despite a party taking place several rooms down). Parking katty-corner at the attached garage is much cheaper than valet parking.

One comment however. On my second stay my room only had a shower stall and not a bathtub which could be problematic for a family with small children. I would request at check-in a room with a bathtub if this may be an issue.

Also, be forewarned that downtown Houston is deserted during weekends. I went on a three-hour self-guided walking tour of the downtown area on a Saturday afternoon and was amazed to find closed restaurants and major streets devoid of cars.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hourh-mgr, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2010

Thanks for your great comments and for selecting Hyatt. Next time you’re in Houston, hop on our complimentary shuttle and check out Midtown. There are a variety of restaurants and bars open on the weekends. Or, walk to Houston Pavilions for more dining, shopping and entertainment options including a dueling piano bar or Lucky Strike Lanes for bowling.