“No changes to noise level”

Hyatt Regency Houston
Ranked #36 of 507 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“No changes to noise level”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

The management may say that they are working on noise, but it's horrible. I am in a 15th floor room, and it sounds like I am in my bed in the lobby. It is almost 11:30pm on a wend night. Not what I expect out of a business hotel. I am exhausted and would like to sleep, but I can't.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. Immediately please accept my apology for the noise that disturbed you during your visit. We realize how important a restful night of sleep is when you are traveling. We continue to make changes to prevent any unwanted noise into our guestrooms. This process is ongoing and we are currently working on our next phase. Also as solution for your future stays, I have updated your profile to ensure that you are placed in a quiet room off of our atrium. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I are longtime Houstonians. When we were planning what to do for NYE 2013 I suggested the famous Hyatt Regency party with the legendary balloon drop. We had never been to it, and I wanted something different and fun. We booked the room package 5 days before NYE. The package included the room, entrance to the party, and 4 drink tickets each. Actually there were 3 parties to chose from, and you could go in and out of each - lobby party with a DJ, ballroom party with live music by the Fab Five, and a lower level performance by Roger Creager. The hotel offered early check-in at 10 am Dec. 31, and late check-out at 2 pm Jan. 1. That was fun so we could explore a bit. We did not have reservations for Shula's for dinner, but we were able to be seated quickly at 5, and had a delicious meal. There is more than enough steak in the generous portions to split, and the side dishes were large also. Even though we shared, we still had some leftovers to take. We thought we wouldn't be able to store them in our room without a fridge, but our waiter gave us the tip to call Guest Requests for a mini-fridge, and one was delivered promptly. The lobby DJ started the party at 7, but things didn't really get going until well after 9. We heard the hotel was sold-old this night, and there are also party guests who aren't staying at the hotel, so it was quite a crowd by midnight. The balloon drop was awesome, I loved it!! I also loved the Einstein's Deli in the lobby that is open 24 hours so you could get a bite at any hour. We thoroughly enjoyed our NYE stay at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Houston. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable, and the party was a blast. I would spend next NYE there in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: ALL rooms open up to the lobby atrium and the sound travels no matter what floor you are on. The NY...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for being part of our annual New Year's Eve Celebration. We appreciate the positive feedback and are glad you had such a wonderful experience. Our party has been a tradition in Houston for over 36 years. Hope you can join us again the next time you want to celebrate a special occasion.
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my overnight forced stay because of a flight cancelation. The room was very nice and the bed very comfortable. I slept in!
But what I was really impressed with was all the great things the staff had to say about the HR lady and the General manager of the hotel. All the employees I talked to said he knew them by name! That is a man that knows how to run a business.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Gregdglen
Clovis, California
Reviewed January 7, 2014

After spending a few New Years Eve's watching TV, we decided this would be the year we would "do something!!!" We did realize that this evening at the Hyatt would certainly be no bargain, but with the cost for this overnight (which included the room, dinner at the Spindletop and 4 drink tickets per person, also included the hotel entertainment), we had anticipated maybe just a tad bit more. When we checked in, we were told we could spend an additional $9.00/per person to get a room above the 20th floor. Um, ok, but no thanks.... Our friends were in a room on the 36 floor and they didn't have to pay extra, so I'm not sure what that was about?

The rooms are very nice, but as mentioned in other reviews, at a hotel of this caliber, one would expect a few "niceties". There is no mini bar, the only glasses available in the room were little plastic cups, the wifi is not free (which is a huge pet peeve of mine....), a small bottle of water was $3.50 (you can purchase a larger one for $2.00 from the soda machine), and as nice as it was to have a bathrobe in the room, there was just a single bathrobe. Fortunately, our fight for that one robe ended up with only minor bruising...

As far as the New Years Eve festivities, it really was very nice. Dinner at the Spindletop was good and we enjoyed it. As part of the package, we were each allotted 4 drink tickets. When a Pinot Grigio was requested, we were told there was only a Cab and a Chardonnay. They were both awful, so we opted not to waste our drink coupons on terrible wine. The gin and tonics were fine though!!

For the amount of money spent on this overnight (which even if I was allowed to mention it, I would be too embarrassed to admit it!!), one would have thought they might just throw in parking, but noooooooo. We did use the $15.00 lot instead of their $30 valet. Also thought a couple of donuts, perhaps a bagel and some orange juice could have been thrown in there too for a breakfast.

All in all it was an enjoyable evening. When I consider all the past New Years Eve's that we spent at home, perhaps all the money we saved can justify this one night!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jperkin1
Katy, Texas, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is our third New Years Eve celebration at the Hyatt in Downtown Houston. The package include 4 drink tickets per person, a very nice room, 2 live bands, a DJ and a balloon drop at midnight. We had a great time although there a couple of things the Hyatt could have done to make it better. First of all they put Roger Creager (one of my favorites) in the basement, too crowded and the acoustics were horrible, dance floor was almost none existent. The other band (Fab Five) were very good and had a good venue, dance floor and acoustics were just right. The crowding at the balloon drop got a little scary, everyone was pushing to get under the balloons. They really need to work on crowd control. We had dinner at Shula's really enjoyed it. It is a steakhouse but I had the fish, very good. Overall we had a great time. Not sure I will go back for next year..the crowds were just a little too much for my taste.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $9 for the room upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ronald B
Huntsville, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was the third time I have stayed at Houston's Hyatt Regency. I've always found the staff to be welcoming and the rooms comfortable. I got a great price through an online discounter and forwent room service and pricey extras except for standard wi-fi ($10/night). (There was no fridge or mini bar…odd for an expensive, four-star hotel.) On this stay, I opted for self-parking in the Regency Garage: $15/day BUT all in-outs require a new ticket, and I ended up paying $28 total for an 18-hour stay. The hotel's valet parking is $30/night.

Room Tip: Be mindful of your parking options before you arrive.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank DavidMcTier
Thessaloniki
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Great location in downtown Houston, friendly staff - we should mention Mim Tran, who took great care of us and satisfied every last of our demands -, 2 very good choices for dining in the hotel (Spindletop and Shula's.
Great value-for-money.