“Expensive evening!”

Hyatt Regency Houston
Ranked #32 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 7, 2014

After spending a few New Years Eve's watching TV, we decided this would be the year we would "do something!!!" We did realize that this evening at the Hyatt would certainly be no bargain, but with the cost for this overnight (which included the room, dinner at the Spindletop and 4 drink tickets per person, also included the hotel entertainment), we had anticipated maybe just a tad bit more. When we checked in, we were told we could spend an additional $9.00/per person to get a room above the 20th floor. Um, ok, but no thanks.... Our friends were in a room on the 36 floor and they didn't have to pay extra, so I'm not sure what that was about?

The rooms are very nice, but as mentioned in other reviews, at a hotel of this caliber, one would expect a few "niceties". There is no mini bar, the only glasses available in the room were little plastic cups, the wifi is not free (which is a huge pet peeve of mine....), a small bottle of water was $3.50 (you can purchase a larger one for $2.00 from the soda machine), and as nice as it was to have a bathrobe in the room, there was just a single bathrobe. Fortunately, our fight for that one robe ended up with only minor bruising...

As far as the New Years Eve festivities, it really was very nice. Dinner at the Spindletop was good and we enjoyed it. As part of the package, we were each allotted 4 drink tickets. When a Pinot Grigio was requested, we were told there was only a Cab and a Chardonnay. They were both awful, so we opted not to waste our drink coupons on terrible wine. The gin and tonics were fine though!!

For the amount of money spent on this overnight (which even if I was allowed to mention it, I would be too embarrassed to admit it!!), one would have thought they might just throw in parking, but noooooooo. We did use the $15.00 lot instead of their $30 valet. Also thought a couple of donuts, perhaps a bagel and some orange juice could have been thrown in there too for a breakfast.

All in all it was an enjoyable evening. When I consider all the past New Years Eve's that we spent at home, perhaps all the money we saved can justify this one night!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jperkin1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,063)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is our third New Years Eve celebration at the Hyatt in Downtown Houston. The package include 4 drink tickets per person, a very nice room, 2 live bands, a DJ and a balloon drop at midnight. We had a great time although there a couple of things the Hyatt could have done to make it better. First of all they put Roger Creager (one of my favorites) in the basement, too crowded and the acoustics were horrible, dance floor was almost none existent. The other band (Fab Five) were very good and had a good venue, dance floor and acoustics were just right. The crowding at the balloon drop got a little scary, everyone was pushing to get under the balloons. They really need to work on crowd control. We had dinner at Shula's really enjoyed it. It is a steakhouse but I had the fish, very good. Overall we had a great time. Not sure I will go back for next year..the crowds were just a little too much for my taste.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $9 for the room upgrade.
2  Thank Ronald B
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was the third time I have stayed at Houston's Hyatt Regency. I've always found the staff to be welcoming and the rooms comfortable. I got a great price through an online discounter and forwent room service and pricey extras except for standard wi-fi ($10/night). (There was no fridge or mini bar…odd for an expensive, four-star hotel.) On this stay, I opted for self-parking in the Regency Garage: $15/day BUT all in-outs require a new ticket, and I ended up paying $28 total for an 18-hour stay. The hotel's valet parking is $30/night.

Room Tip: Be mindful of your parking options before you arrive.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank DavidMcTier
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Great location in downtown Houston, friendly staff - we should mention Mim Tran, who took great care of us and satisfied every last of our demands -, 2 very good choices for dining in the hotel (Spindletop and Shula's.
Great value-for-money.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt 3 nights including New Year's Eve. We attended the NYE party and that was fantastic but what we found lacking in such an expensive hotel was some of the most common things that less expensive hotels provide. I personally had just had shoulder surgery and needed to ice my shoulder daily but there was no fridge/freezer in the room, when asked about it they did bring up this small fridge but it did not have a freezer. Secondly I've stayed at much less expensive hotels and gotten wonderful breakfasts for free, Hyatt offers no such thing. We found the room to be clean and spacious but for the price no better appointed than lesser expensive hotels. Parking was ridiculous, you either paid $15/night for self park or $30/night for valet, granted I realize it's downtown but you're already paying a small fortune to stay there. We won't be returning when we can find just as good accommodations elsewhere in Houston.

1  Thank Harold G
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The Hyatt Regency Houston downtown is a comfortable and accommodating urban hotel. The property is well-situated among some of the finer downtown restaurants and also is within easy walking distance of several reasonably priced restaurants and bars. In addition, the property is convenient to downtown area shopping and entertainment venues. The lobby and other public areas are spacious and inviting. There are plenty of lounging areas in and near the lobby bar that invite gatherings and conversations among the hotel’s guests. The room that I booked was well-appointed with a chase lounge, a comfortable king sized bed with crisp clean linens, a bathroom that appeared to be a bit larger than standard hotel bathrooms and a large window that offered a beautiful view of the Houston city scape. The only recommendation I would offer is a plush comfortable chair with ottoman in the corner of the room near the large window (there was plenty of space for this piece of furniture).

The fitness facilities and rooftop pool areas were well-equipped and inviting. In fact, the rooftop pool area was most welcoming for afternoon and evening drinks and a dip in the pool for those who were brave enough to hop in the water in December. The Hyatt Regency Houston downtown offers guests a Shula’s Steakhouse and Einstein Bagels that are both convenient although quite frankly overpriced. There are plenty of other restaurant and bar options within easy walking distance of the property and for the guest’s convenience the Hyatt Regency offers a complimentary shuttle to many downtown dining, shopping, and entertainment venues. As a point of information, the doorman Fernando is amazingly helpful in offering restaurant/bar suggestions. Moreover, he’s a fabulous ambassador for the Hyatt Regency Houston downtown hotel. Quite frankly, I look forward to the opportunity to talk with Fernando again on my next visit to the Hyatt Regency Houston downtown.

FYI - Place a Priceline bid for a four start property in downtown Houston and you may very well win the Hyatt Regency Houston downtown for an exceptional price. Also, parking across the street from the property will save you $15 (valet $30 at the hotel...self parking across the street will cost you $15) and contrary to what some other reviewers have posted you will have "in and out" privileges for the parking lot.

Room Tip: Park across the street for $15. You will have "in and out" privileges. Ask the doorman Fer...
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My brother and I came down to stay the night to attend the Texas Bowl. The Hyatt was the official team hotel for my team (Syracuse University) so that was the reason for booking.

I know now that this is the hotel I would use again of I ever needed to travel to the Houston area again. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The concierge's at Guest Services always seemed to be able to answer my questions regarding where to find a good BBQ spot or fun activities to do before my departure time at the airport.

They have Einstein Bros. Bagel shop there open 24/7 365. That's a real convenience. I ate at the Don Shula's steakhouse and that was amazing as well with friendly staff

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you sharing your experience. It was our pleasure to be the host hotel for the University of Syracuse, especially when our team wins the Texas Bowl. We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to serving you the next time your travel plans bring you back to Houston.