“To much money for the Service!!!”

Hyatt Regency Houston
Ranked #34 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just got back from working a big show in Houston, TX over the weekend and we stayed in the Hyatt.
First thing I noticed that the staff outside and also the staff cleaning the rooms have no desire to have the guests come back.
Lets start with the room:
I have noticed that there was a dish for the soap used in the bathroom.
I had the same piece of soap from Thursday through Monday swimming in the dish which was cleaned only when they thought I checked out. Enough said about this issue.
The bathtub was not cleaned at all at my stay.
I filled out a Guest request for some supplies offerered by the hotel free of charge - day one - nothing - I kept the note right were it was suppossed to be - added a little note to it - second try - day two - nothing
I mentioned this at the check in counter - nothing
The hotel outside the rooms was kept clean and also the staff working inside the hotel was very nice and helpful - at least they tried - got locked out of my room on stay three which we thought we had fixed at check in - nobody put a note on the room number - so on Sunday night at 10 pm after working very hard I was locked out of the room because of the Error. They insisted that I would give a personal CC which we had given the Company Credit Card at check in. They would not budge and gave us the runarounds.
Now why would I be the only one checking out of the hotel when the GROUP from our Company did not check out until the next day, does that make sense???
To make it up I guess they sent me a $ 6.49 bottle of wine after 11.00 pm a night, red wine I have to mention which I don't even drink - why not at least asked??
And then why such a cheap bottle of wine of the food in the hotel is very, very expensive.
Maybe they thought I did not deserve any better which made matters even worse.
When I finally checked out in the morning the girl who helped me was very, very nice. I wish I could remember her name, because she stood out from all the staff and at least know what she was talking about.
Several of my fellow coworkers had the same experience with the cleaniness of the rooms.
Enough said
Would not recommend this hotel for the money they are charging you

Room Tip: if you talk to the Front desk put in on tape so you have evindence
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Houston

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Arrived and had an efficient check-in. Had a king sized room with a nice view of downtown. The bathroom was very spacious as was the room. The bed was plush and made for a good sleep. Also the guest services desk was a great and helped me with anything that I needed during my stay. I ate at Shulas for dinner which was excellent and also had the hot breakfast buffet at Shulas which was good also.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you for the 5-star review and sharing your experience. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This Hyatt feels very much designed for the male business traveler. It is blocky and dark, inside and out, with all neutral and brown colors and a cologne aroma throughout. Two big issues: The bizarre design (interior courtyard the height of a cathedral) really carries noise from the bars and restaurants on the ground floor. And I say this having stayed on the 18th floor. The noise wasn't enough to keep me awake at night, but it could be a problem for some. The hotel has a salon/spa--which I would have used--but for some reason makes no effort at all to advertise this amenity. Finally, the bed was not my style. Hotel staff eschews fitted sheets and makes the bed using all flat sheets, which may be easier for them, but not great for those who like a snug fit on the bottom sheet. I took great advantage of the Einstein bagels and Shula restaurants (though I'm not a huge fan of Shula's) because this hotel is quite far removed from any dining and nightlife. Then again, it is Houston. Everything is quite spread out. Rent a car!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great location, excellent service, friendly staff, good clean room, shuttle to ballgame... very satisfying experience. Only drawbacks: paying for Internet (that is being addressed at the moment) and fridge in room... which we declined as it was not at all critical to us.

Room Tip: Check if a fridge is important to you
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

We appreciate the review and are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit. You are correct, starting this summer we will offer free Wi-Fi in our first floor lobby and restaurants. Our guest room network will also be state of the art with a fiber connection in each room. Hope you will get to experience our new system on your next visit.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Arrived to a double room, when I asked for a king, they upgraded me to the top floor. The check-in experience could not be better. Very pleasant front desk person. Room was nice, a little bigger than the other floors, but you are not missing anything if you're on the other 19 floors. There is no executive floor. Went to work-out at about 6:30am, but every machine and weights were full. The line for sitdown breakfast was at least 25 deep at around 7am.

When I filled the bathroom sink, I noticed the water was rusty, so I wonder if I was cleaner BEFORE or AFTER my shower...

Quick bite at dinnertime and breakfast at the Einstein bagel in the lobby was good. Prices are reasonable and the food good for takeout food.

A charge of $7 for the two bottles of water in room came a few days later. There was no sign on the waters, so I assumed they were free, as upgrades in the Hilton family come with two bottles of water. Although it's OK to charge $3.50 for a bottle that cost them a dime, they should at least let you know the charge. I resent having to write them for a refund. Management reversed the charge, said they fixed the rusty water, and said they offered free passes to the YMCA when the fitness center is full. Were it not for these problems, I would've rated 4.

Did not experience any problem with noise as other reviewers mention; it was a Monday night.

Parking is next door and paid for separate from the hotel, $15/day. Not unreasonable for a downtown hotel. It is connected to the hotel via a walkway.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We wanted to stay downtown so we wouldn't have to drive back to Katy after our 'Historic Downtown Pub Craw'. I found the Hyatt weekend rate was reasonable and booked. We arrived and stopped to ask the valet where to park. He was quite abrupt and didn't seem too eager to help. His response was "pick a garage" this is valet parking only. Okay! Luckily, we didn't let that ruin our day. We drove around the block again and found parking directly across from the hotel with a walkway. It was $15 per day (half the cost of valet parking).

The hotel was beautiful. The front desk and concierge were very welcoming and we thoroughly enjoyed the location and our stay.

Room Tip: Park yourself and save $15 (valet is $30).
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Great service at Valet, front desk, bellhop, restaurant hostess & waitress, bartender & waitress. A well run hotel! Rooms are clean, comfortable. Location is very good for downtown venues (easy in, easy out).There were plenty of choices of after hours restaurants when our event didn't finish till 11pm. We chose Frank's Pizza, it's open till 4am and is just around the corner. Overall a great stay.

Room Tip: We were on the 29th floor. Great views of downtown and the lobby soooo very far below. Elevator ride...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family