“The noisiest lobby bar I've ever suffered through in a Hyatt Hotel”

Hyatt Regency Houston
Ranked #33 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The hotel's key features: rooms, food and location, are decent enough for a business travellers' hotel though certainly not spectacular by global Hyatt standards.
The real downside is that the amount of noise which filters up through the internal atrium from the lobby bar until after 2am on weeknights is quite staggering. Despite numerous calls to security the cackling laughter of drunk Texans continued long after the bar stopped serving alcohol and was amplified as it travelled up the hard concrete walls of the hotel's inner atrium which every room surrounds. A high end hotel ought not to be the late night location for reunions of poorly behaved drunkards.
If your company pays the high nightly tariffs (over 500 per night including taxes during the NAPE conference) then by all means stay here for the easy access to downtown Houston office buildings, but you risk being awoken by the drunken scenes unfolding from within the hotel itself each night. Very disappointing from a Hyatt Regency branded hotel, a brand which in my experience usually adheres to very high standards of service and guest comfort.

• Stayed: February 2013
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your review. Immediately, please accept my apology for the noise you experienced from the lobby. I realize how important a restful night of sleep can be, especially when you are away from home. We are currently working on making some acoustical adjustments in the building to prevent the noise from rising up to the guest floors during the times when the hotel lobby is active later in the evening. Also as solution for your future stays, I have updated your profile to ensure that you are placed in a quiet room off of the atrium. Thanks for visiting and I hope we can serve you again.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Worst Hyatt I've ever stayed at from the start to finish. Started off with a broken door and non-communicating staff causing my precious time waiting for an hour to get someone to fix something simple. Ended up being relocated to a different room on the same floor. When I got back to the room later that night only to find that the heating didn't work and caused a loud humming noise. Asked the front desk for extra blankets since the heating system wasn't working and the response I received was "I'll get housekeeping to bring it up in 15-20 minutes". The bar runs until 2am and since the atrium carried all the noise upwards being on the 27th floor did not help.

Room Tip: Avoid hotel if you're a light sleeper. Noisy bar that is opened until 2am.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank smilie604

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations during your visit. We should have responded to the maintenance issue before your arrival as I realize how valuable our time can be when we are away from home. I have shared your comments as a training tool with our team in efforts to improve our performance. I have also reached out to you directly and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your visit in person.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was my first stay in Houston, attending for a conference. The hotel was clean and comfortable, however, I had booked a room with two queen beds as a colleague and I were sharing but when I checked in they had me in a king room, I told them that that was not good enough having booked well in advance, they offered to put a roll a way in there. Again I told them that it wasn't good enough an I was told there was nothing more they could do as they were full, after more discussion the lady went away and spoke with someone else then came back and told me that they did have a double you but it was an accessible room, which was fine. However it had a connecting door to the next room and you could here everything quite clearly, even with the TV on.
I did not like the fact that they charge $10 a day for the internet service, there is a McDonalds just up the street with free WiFi. That said, I enjoyed myself there but would have also prefered if there were more options for breakfast.

Room Tip: I had a corner room over looking the street on the 9th floor so plenty of room, and no noise from th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Staying the Hyatt Regency Houston last week was very nice.
It is easy to reach, clean confortable, very friendly staff and plenty of Parking options.
However, i have Three major issues that will make me think twice before booking at this Hotel again:
1. Although i was staying on the 20th. Floor, i could here every single car passing by on the street. The rooms are not sound proof at all.
2. The AC is very noisy. Every time the AC kicks in to cool or to heat it literally woke us up.
3. WIFI: i think this the only place where they had not FREE WIFI for the Hotel Guests.

Other than that it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dodyaman

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our staff and the comfort of our hotel. Coming in early spring we will be offering free Wi-Fi in our 1st floor lobby, bar and restaurants. I hope we can serve you again.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was my first trip to the Hyatt Regency in Houston and it was a good hotel and great service. The room was nice. We had a double bed room for my son and I and the sheets on his bed were not made properly but it wasn't an issue for us. They accommodated my room upgrade request and it was a clean, well-furnished rooms. I still don't understand why some chains don't offer free Wi-Fi at their premium facilities. Fortunately, I'm a Platinum member and get it added but it seems odd to me. The bar was a lively place on a Saturday night and the hotel also has an Einstein's Bagels. My only complaint was the parking but not unusual for a downtown property.

The best part of the hotel in my experience was the service at the desk at check-in and with a problem I needed resolved at check-out. Great customer service that was friendly and approached with a can-do approach. I recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate the positive feedback on the customer service you received at our Front Desk. The best deal when parking at our hotel is Valet parking. The cost is $30 per day and includes in and out privilege, plus your vehicle is parked in secure facilities. Look forward to your next trip.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Staying here for two nights, the hotel is actually quite good. The atrium in the middle carries all the noise from the lobby up to the rooms. I was lucky that I had the room in higher floor so it wasn't that noisy.

The upside, location is very good, plenty of food outlets within and around the hotel. Service and attitude is absolutely up to Hyatt's standard.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are less noisy
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the positive comments on our service levels. I will be sure to pass along.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

A big, city centre hotel that manges to feel homely. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped and the WiFi is free and fast. The breakfast buffet is good quality but limited in its selection, however a broad menu is available to order from.The hotel is clean and well maintained, but there is often a long wait for elevators, which is little annoying.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business