“Excellent”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bethesda, Maryland
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Beautiful hotel with staff that couldn't do enough for us. Breakfast in the lobby. Bake sale in the evening so we didn't buy expensive desserts at the restaurants. Spacious rooms within walking distance of the convention center. Einsteins bagels in the lobby! Exciting glass elevators.Very technical ....got an email from the hotel the day of my arrival saying my room was ready and got my key from a kiosk. No line!

Room Tip: Great city views on high floors
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for the feedback. We are thrilled you enjoyed the special "Bake Sale" for the International Quilt Festival and Market attendees. We have received many positive comments and we will be sure to have it again for next year’s conference. Hope you can return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed the unique shape of the room. Fun ride in the glassed elevator. Restaurant quite nice.

Went to conference and it is really far from the conference center. The conference did run busses, however traffic hampers their movement. Transit is tough and makes careful planning of trips critical.

• Stayed November 2012
Anahuac, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed October 30th...had to be at 800 Bell Street for a training class at 8 a.m. Eventhough the company paid for everything, this hotel is a little overpriced -- valet parking was $30 and wireless for a fee. I had a room with a pool view...it's an outdoor pool. This hotel is very convenient for those having to go to 800 Bell Street...only a couple of blocks over...walking distance. The hotel has shuttle service but was very busy that morning. It wasn't an excellent stay but a very good one.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here as participant in the International Quilt Festival and this was one of the host hotels. This hotel is in walking distance to the George Brown convention center which is where the festival was held. Excellent service; however the price to park is very expensive. $30 per day for 3 days and I didn't use my car once after I checked in. I ordered room service the first night I was there and the speed of delivery was fantastic as well as the next morning for breakfast. I asked for it to be delivered between 7:00 am and 7:30 am and at exactly 7:00 am there was a knock at my door! Expensive?, yes, but very prompt. My breakfast for one person cost me $38.00! I do think that was a bit excessive, but I didn't use the room server again after that meal. I ate at the restaurant my last night there and I was seated promptly and the server was very attentive. By far an excellent hotel with a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
We appreciate the 5-Star review. Every year it is our pleasure to be one of the host hotels for the International Quilt Festival and Market. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our food and beverage outlets and we will look forward to your return next year.
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Hyatt was a very pleasant surprise. Having stayed for periods of time at other hotels in the immediate area, I now think this one is the best. In addition to having Shula's restaurant, there is also a 24-hour coffee shop, apples on the front desk, very comfortable beds, spotless bathrooms, and a sharp staff. And, a few steps away is a Benihana. The hotel has an ample buffet breakfast, if you decide to go that route.

I was there for business, and I have status in the Hyatt chain. So, I did receive some amenities. There was a snafu on my dinner order...delayed, well beyond the norm. With the International Quilters in town, I am sure the kitchen staff was racing in every direction to accommodate all the guests. When the staff realized my situation, they went 100% overboard to correct the error. Even the manager got involved...something I thought was not necessary...but everyone wanted to be beyond-gracious.

I made my direct reservation through the hotel. The "back office" personnel were terrific. Everything they did was spot-on. Kudos to them.

The front desk personnel were "correct". I would have liked a less robotic interaction.

The internet worked fine for my business purposes.

I like this hotel. And for my next trip to Houston... I'll be staying at the Hyatt.

1 Thank Coffeecup1390
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spent 3 nights @Hyatt Regency in late October while on a downtown Houston arbitration meeting. Very clean bedroom and bathroom, crisp white bedsheets with 5 bedpillows, contemporary interior decor with comfy lounge chair and long desk. Nice array of local Houston magazines to peruse on the lounge chair's reading lamp table. Drawback: fantastic, fancy coffee machine for one but "catered" with Coffee-Mate, not half-and-half! Ugh! Who wants to make a cup of coffee with Coffee-Mate when you're staying at such a swanky hotel? 2nd drawback the last night we were there: 4:00-5:00am loud conversational noise from the room next door...I guess we had a connecting door that could create a suite, which isn't as "soundproof" as a regular hotel wall, and the noisy convention guests on the other side began to 'party' way too early in the morning! Upon checkout, my husband complained about them, and was awarded 10000 Hyatt points for the early morning rude awakening.

Room Tip: Be wary of convention guests! They tend to be quite noisy. Request a different floor if you hear the...
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a nice Hotel located in the heart of Houston downtown area. If you are staying here, request a room on an upper floor. Nice view of the downtown skyline. The rooms are large and comfy. All the amenities that you would expect from an upscale hotel. There is a restaurant on the top floor that rotates to view the city, Spindletop. There is also an excellent steakhouse, Shula's. For lighter fare there is Einsteins Bagels. The hotel has an outdoor pool on the sixth floor.
The only drawback is an additional fee for internet. I believe it was $12. Why must upscale hotels charge for internet, when mid rate hotels offer internet for free.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and have a great view. Higher rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple