“Average, a little dated”

Hyatt Regency Houston
Ranked #31 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 25, 2007

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. I thought the hotel room itself was just average. I was only staying for one night, and it served its purpose. The carpet and furniture were worn in our room, and the bathroom was a little dingy. On the plus side the bedding was wonderful. I would recommed this hotel to short term stays, would go somewhere else for a long term stay. I did get a great deal online, would not pay over $150 per night for this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,062)

Reviewed September 4, 2007

I come to Houston quite often for business and have stayed at the Hyatt at least 10 times in the last two years (times, not nights). In fact, as I write this I am sitting in the lobby bar, The Park, which is located in the center of a very large atrium. The lobby itself is probably one of the largest I’ve seen as it is open all the way up to the 30th floor.

I was reading the other posts and overall, they are pretty much, in my opinion, accurate. Large lobby, efficient and courteous staff, strange shaped rooms – though not unlikable with poor lighting in many, but not all, elevators that are fun to ride and watch whisk people up and down the 30 floors of rooms, and I’d be remise if I didn’t mention the expensive parking but I don’t know many downtown or Galleria hotels that don’t charge you and arm and a leg for parking. I should also mention the revolving rooftop restaurant that can be fun but remember, they have a forgiving, but not absent business dress code.

What I though I’d add to the discourse are some observations regarding accessibility to dining (but not attractions since I rarely have time to enjoy Houston that way). If walking is your thing, than this may not be the best hotel since there aren’t a lot of dining options and to be frank, the immediate area is pretty bland for an evening stroll. While there is dining within 6 or 7 blocks, the options are sparse – at least what I know of.

If you are considering the hotel for business meetings (or any other meetings) I can attest to the professionalism and quality of the banquets staff. I’ve hosted several meetings here and they have always done an excellent job – I highly recommend the SW Buffet if you are catering something.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2007

This hotel was great! Very nice, clean, and upscale. The staff was very friendly. When calling for room service or the front desk they addressed me by my name which was very nice. Would definately use this hotel again.

My only minor frustration was the keyboard in the room to use during checkout. Sometimes the keys would not input the correct character which was kinda frustrating.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 12, 2007

This is a very nice Hotel in the heart of downtown. I checked in at midnight with no problems. The gentleman at the front desk was courteous and helpful. There was a lot of noise in the lobby area but normal for a Saturday night and the hotel is atrium style so I'm sure that doesn't help. Got a room on the 28th floor. Rooms are odd shaped with a little tv. No this hotel is not new so you will see a little corrosion on the ceilings or some imperfections but was very clean. The beds are awesome. I think they were a firm pillow-top with nice sheets. Bathroom is spacious with nice tile flooring. Good sized shower. The lighting was a little dark but no big deal. I booked on priceline for $55. I would pay twice that if I had to.
The negative: Valet parking was $25. That killed me but it was late and I didn't care to search for an alternative. I am not sure why tax is charged on it. I thought that was a service.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank defresh
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We stayed here June 30, for 1 night, we got it on priceline for $55/night. we were very pleased with the location and it was very clean. check-in was fast and easy, despite the fact that we arrived around 2:45P on an Astros game day. our room was located on the 6th floor, the hotel is huge, but nice. they do provide a shuttle to and from Minute Maid park, which was a great feature. the shuttle is airconditioned and we didnt have to wait long for either pick-up. the room was spacious, my only complaint is the bathroom. very big bathroom, however, the lighting is bad. the only other complaint i had was the elevator service on sunday morning. we ended up having to take the stairs down to the lobby 3 times because the elevators took forever, or by the time it got to the 6th floor, they were jam packed and there was no room to get on. luckily, we didnt have to walk up the 6 flights of stairs. check out was easy and fast as well. parking was average for a hotel, you can valet park, which allows you in and out privileges for $25 or you can self park in their parking lot, no in and out privileges for $15. i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bailey34
Reviewed June 8, 2007

During a weekend visit to Houston in June of 2007, we booked a room at the Hyatt Regency for $55 per night. After reading some of the less-than-enthusiastic reviews online, I was initially disappointed that we got the Hyatt, but our experience was definitely positive.

To start with the highlights, the Hyatt has a magnificent lobby. It is an open interior lobby, and the hallways on each of the 30+ floors look out over the space, filled with classy furnishings and lots of vegetation. Though this may seem trivial, the glass elevators were fantastic. There were two sets, one facing the interior lobby and one facing the street outside, and it was fun to ride in them, strictly for the views. It was also nice that there were so many, as we never had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator, even though there were over 900 rooms on over 30 floors.

The check-in and check-out were both quick and seamless. The staff at the front desk were efficient, and they answered all of my questions. And they never treated us with any less courtesy, even though we were Priceline customers.

The room itself was fine, if unspectacular. The king-bed was comfortable, with plenty of pillows for my wife. The orientation of the room was rather unusual, with the bed actually positioned in parallel to the entrance into the room, rather than the standard perpenticular orientation. Though this may be hard to understand with written description, it provided extra privacy with the bed not against one of the walls into the adjacent rooms. I was happily surprised to find a Sunday newspaper outside our door. Finally, the bathroom was spacious, and the rest of the furniture in the bedroom was solid, quality stuff.

In terms of negatives, there were several. First, the parking situation is a pain, even if understandable due to the downtown location of this hotel. The Hyatt has a valet service, but I wasn't interested in paying $30+ per day for parking. So, my wife and I drove around the block a few times and actually found an open parking lot (not a garage) where we could park for $6.50 per day that only required us to walk two blocks to the hotel entrance. I was glad that we found this option, but it would have been nice to have been provided a cheaper option by Hyatt.

I was also frustrated that the hotel charged us for everything. We had to pay $.50 for each local phone call, and it cost $10 for 24 hours of internet access. For a hotel of this quality, there's no excuse to be grubbing for money at every opportunity. Those basic features should have been included with the room.

There was a phone in the bathroom, which would have been nice, except it didn't work. We also had a mysterious blinking light on our phone. We followed the prompts to determine that someone had left a text-message for us, but the operator and the front desk attendant were unable to tell us how to retrieve that message.

Ultimately, we had a surprisingly pleasant stay at the Hyatt Regency Houston, after arriving with low expectations. It's clear that it was built a few decades ago, and it shows its age. However, it was built as a quality hotel, and it remains a fine place to stay in Houston. If we end up staying here for our next trip to Houston, that would be fine with me (especially now that I know what to do with parking!!).

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank clo110
Reviewed April 8, 2007

My wife and I stayed one night while in town to see an art exhibit. We got a very competitive rate throught the hotel website. This is a decent, somewhat upscale hotel. It is not particularly distinctive, but the downtown location allows adequate, if not immediate, access to points of interest in the city. We had a quiet upper floor room with a very good bed. The room was decent sized, but was nothing spectacular. I'd stay here again for one or two nights as necessary but wouldn't make in the epicenter of a vacation here. I've stayed in better Hyatts.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple