“Bad for respiratory problems”

Americas Best Value Inn-Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park
Ranked #395 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Leakey, Texas
“Bad for respiratory problems”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

Should be listed as 1 or 1.5 stars, and pay less than $70 per night! Spend your money elsewhere! Family friendly (no drug dealers) with good customer service, but especially for people with respiratory issues don't stay here! A/C worked great - but was located in the wall at bed height so one of us had to sleep with the cold air in our face. Eventually turned and slept with head at foot of the bed! A/C is a window unit, but not installed with good insulation. You could actually see the light, dirt, hair, etc.. caught in the sides. The curtains also were stained and worn. I told the others not to touch the curtains it was soiled so badly. When the sun was up, the sunlight came through the myriad holes in the curtains. Toilet backed up. They wet vac'd but it was moist the entire visit. Toilet/shower area was very tiny and we mostly dressed standing in the tub. Breakfast is listed as ending at 9:30 a.m.but the food was all cleared at 9:15 a.m. leaving only juice and coffee by 9:25. I will never stay here again. I can't believe I paid over $50 for it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank aliciaintexas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Round Rock, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

I arrived around 10pm and got my room key and opened the door tried to turn on the lights, but they weren't working. I went back to the desk and they gave me another room... so I went in and the lights worked and the room was old, dirty and bad smell. It was so late reluctantly decided to stay, then I checked the sliding glass door to make sure it was locked, but of course it was broken and the plaster around the wall was falling off making me think it had been previously broken into. I decided to leave! This place is a dump and was priced 99.00 a night! Don't stay here!

Room Tip: All rooms are terrible! This place needs to be condemn and torn down!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Debbie J
Little Rock, Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

One after one nite we left ad we got there it had a funky smell we stay big mistake room when you walk in the room look kept but mold in the bathroom inproper plug horrable coffee in the small bathroom not wheel chair friendly no rails driver in the afteernoon unsafe one in the morning talks lound

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank whitehorsepinny
Lubbock, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Don't ignore the other reviews saying this place is a dump. It's one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. If you absolutely have to stay here, be prepared for a dirty room, dirty bathroom and a foul smell that runs through the whole hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Clint P
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I spend 49-50 nights in a hotel a year all over the world. Honestly this is a horrible example- the most backward country has cleaner rooms. We paid $90+ For a king non-smoking accessible room. When we checked in they only one king on a second floor. Upon opening the door, the carpet is loose from the wall, the bathroom dirty, the paint dirty and walls were dirty, and to top it all, the smoke alarm was beeping from being in a state of disrepair.

I called Expedia and was told they could cancel the room, but then my infirm wife and myself would have to move our bags and find another accommodation for the night at 10:30pm

Calling the front desk I was informed that maybe when the security guard arrived, she would send him up to look at the room.

We booked on the telephone and was told by Expedia that the hotel had an 89% favorable rating - I guess Expedia's computers don't coordinate with the reviews posted in the web site. Had we booked on a computer I would NEVER have booked a room with the reports posted on the site.

A Motel 6 room is a 6 Star+ compared to this dump!!!!!

Take my advice - NEVER BOOK THIS HOTEL, you won't regret passing up this property.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Papacanes
Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

The place was acceptable. A little bit dirty (especially the bathroom) but this is our usual experience with Americas Best Value. The heating system was horribly loud, we had to shut it down to be able to sleep.
The breakfast was really poor. Some very bad quality muffins and a couple of apples. That's it. I believe that the orange juice they served was gone off. Would not stay next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kalokinga
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel is very new and looks really good, also the price was really reasonable but the service quality it wasn't very good. All the employees have ESL so they weren't always able to help me when I need (ie. I lost my cellphone on the taxi, so I needed help to get the taxi number, but they weren't able to help me), the breakfast included is not really a breakfast, they offered about 6/7 apples, 10 muffins, coffee and hot water for tea for the entire hotel, it wasn't what I was expecting at all.

I also had a problem when I realized that had to stay a couple extra days, so I left my credit card number with them so they could debit. When I got back from my key/card wasn't work so I had to go back to reception to get a new one, this is when they told me that my card was being rejected, so I had to go back to my room, take another card and call my bank to unblock my card. Guess what? They didn't let me in the room to get the other card, because I haven't had paid the room for that night. Really? Worst consumer experience ever!

No breakfast (apples and muffin is not an proper breakfast for me)
Horrible costumer service (Not letting your guest go back to the room because I had to pay before, even though all my belonging were there? Ridiculous....)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo