“Mother/Daughter March Trip 2009”

Hilton Houston Galleria Area
Ranked #79 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Texarkana, Texas
“Mother/Daughter March Trip 2009”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2009

I booked the hotel via their website with a great non refundable deal. Our room was selected at check in. We arrived early and were given a King.

It is a great location for being near the Museum and Galleria areas, but the hotel is directly off the freeway so be prepared for the sound of traffic. There isn't really any areas you can walk to near the hotel, everything from dining to attractions will need to be driven to but with the ease of the freeway it is not really a problem getting around.

The staff was great. They were very helpful with directions to different areas, offered their free shuttle and made daily trips to the Galleria.

Our room was a little dated but very clean. They had left a note that renovations are in progress and that they would be as quiet as possible. We really were not disturbed by the noise, but I would not have booked if I had known they were under construction. My daughter and I did not want to use the pool with the men on the roof, so we drove to Galveston and braved the spring breakers. There was security in the parking lot which we liked when we returned in the evenings or later at night.

We would book again if we were going to travel to the Museum or Galleria area.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank junefour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
Sterlington, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

Booked on Priceline.

Recieved a clean room with two beds. Nice coffee maker in the room. Free parking and internet.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank powerplantop
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2008

I stayed here because of the location and the price. I needed to be within easy driving distance of Sugar Land , Westchase and downtown. This location worked. Additionally, the price was right when compared to other hotels. I can't really say too much about this hotel except is just doesn't feel particulary clean, nice or safe. I didn't see any evidence of it being unsafe, in fact, they have 24 hour security in the parking lot. While the room didnt "feel" clean, its not like anything was soiled. This hotel just doesn't really have the nice feeling of most Hiltons. I would most likely stay here again on business, because its very convenient to the places I need to go to in Houston. Additionally, it has reliable, free wireless internet, a decent mattress, nice workspace, etc. However, for leisure purposes, I definitely would pick someplace else. I guess I would describe this hotel as a viable solution for those needing a specific location.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank AnotherHoustonian
Winter Park
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2008

I booked this hotel via the Hilton website and was surprised it was only $67 a night (weekend rate). The hotel is located right off I-59 and Hilcroft so make sure to request a room facing the back of the hotel or you will be subjected to a lot of noise. The rooms are ok, they don't exactly look like they have been recently updated. The wall paper is old and the popcorn ceilings lookvery outdated. However the beds are very comfortable and its nice to have a flate screen tv even if its not the wall mounted type. The staff is extremly nice and I was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful food in the restaurant. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — A little noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank fdipace
newmexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

This HILTON property does not represent the HILTON name. It definitely should be reviewed by HILTON. It had a definite unpleasant odor upon entering. The lobby is tired in appearance. The night we checked in the staff on duty was unprofessional. We are diamond members of Hilton and were assigned a room on another floor other than the Executive Level. After requesting an upgrade we were told we could have an upgraded room. On arrival into the room - no upgrade. The bathroom was tiny and had energy efficient lights sticking out over the mirror uncovered. The halls were very hot and had the same odor as the lobby. This hotel was not what you would expect a HILTON HOTEL to be.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Odor and bathroom, desk staff, elevator not working properly
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crestedbutte
florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

I unfortunately got assigned to a client in the houston area right after Ike's devastation. I arrived at the parking lot of this hotel at 7pm on a monday night, and there was not a single parking spot available; I had to park my car in the rental car place that is next to the hotel, but was told i had to come back and park this car in the hotel parking once the parking became available. There was some type of meeting going on until around 9pm so i had to come back at 9pm and move my car. Not cool, specially if you're tired from traveling all day. This happened the whole week i was there so i avoided getting back to the hotel earlier in the evening. Good thing I had dinner with friends so getting back to the hotel 'later' was not a problem.

I proceeded to my room, and the room was a typical hilton room; nothing more, nothing less; only thing i notice d was that the carpeting near the air conditioning was wet. I then went to the concierge room, and was not too impressed there; in my travels i have stayed at many hiltons and i would say this is the worst concierge room I have come across. There were 2 food platters, and I asked the attendant what was in it, and he wasn't sure what was in one of them. I was a bit surprised as that was the first time ever a concierge person had no clue what was in the food platters. Also, at some point this person stepped out of the room, so when i wanted to get a 2nd drink, i had to wait for this person to come back as the drinks are in a room that only the concierge person has access to. And mind you, all i wanted was a bottle of water, not an alcoholic drink.

The room did have wireless free internet access, but of course, it wasn't the best internet connection in the world, but it was good enough to get my email and the weather. The room did have a flat screen tv, but a week later i stayed in the non concierge rooms, and there was no flat screen tv there. No big deal for me as i dont watch much tv, but some of my colleagues who are tv addicts were complaining about this.

There is some renovation or maybe repairs taking place so the hotel's lobby was a bit of a mess, but things have improved. The only reason i continued to stay at this hotel is because my client is only half a mile away; otherwise, i don't think the price we pay is worth it for this particular hilton. It is definitely not the worst hotel i have stayed at, but for a hilton, this one is not worth the money you pay, specially if you're a frequent business traveler used to better hilton hotels.

• Liked — proximity to my client
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2008

Having stayed in many Hilton properties over the course of my life, I have come to expect a certain standard from their hotels. Unfortunately, the Hilton Houston Southwest does not completely live up to the Hilton name and has much room for improvement. I recently stayed in the hotel over one weekend for a conference but had several problems with the hotel.

PROS:
1) Location - the hotel is located right alongside Highway 59 and is close to the I-610 loop and Galleria area. Therefore, the hotel makes for a very convenient central base in order to reach other parts of the city, as Houston and its suburbs are quite spread out.
2) Service - the best thing the Hilton has going for itself is its service. From the fantastic night manager to the very attentive Desert Rose restaurant staff, everyone I encountered tried their best to make my stay pleasant despite the problems.
3) Standard room and free internet - my room(s) had all the standard features of a Hilton though I wish they would upgrade to two queen beds instead of two double beds, which are too small.

CONS:
1) Maintenance - the hotel definitely has problems with upkeep and maintenance. On my first night, the air-conditioning was not properly functioning, and since there is no night duty electrician or engineer, I was moved to another room. However, in my second room, the locks were broken and the latch was coming off its hinges, so half the time, the door would not close properly. Finally, I was moved to a third room and comped free breakfast. However, this is still unacceptable, especially from a Hilton property.
2) Cleanliness - even though the hotel has had a recent renovation, it's showing signs of premature wear and tear, such as carpet stains and paint peeling. The room bathrooms (I saw three of them) already have mildew stains in the showers. Plus, I saw a cockroach or two running through the corridors, which was just the icing on top of a disappointing stay.

Overall, if the upkeep and maintenance of the hotel could be brought up to its same level of staff service and friendliness, then this would be a fantastic Hilton property. Until then, it has a long way to go.

• Liked — Location, service!
  • Disliked — Maintenance, cleanliness!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank worldtraveler786