“No problems”

Hilton Houston Galleria Area
Ranked #79 of 504 Hotels in Houston
“No problems”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stopped on on a friday night without reservations. I got a room for $ 89 plus tax. They also have me 2 free breakfast buffet coupons. That was cheaper than the holiday inn express, ramada, and la quinta.

The front door area was closed due to renovations. Front desk workers were very friendly.

The hotel is a bit old but was very clean. My only complaint is that the curtain did not close all the way so the city lights shone in & the sink would occasionally make gurgling noise like there was backup somewhere. No smell just a loud noise every couple of hours.

Breakfast was really good. Plenty of really good authentic indian food in the area.

All in all, good experience. I recommend, especially for $ 89 a night.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Hilton Houston Galleria Area, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Greetings and Thank you for your posting regarding our hotel.
I appreciate your positive comments about our staff friendliness, cleanliness and quality of breakfast. I will investigate the plumbing issue and drapery.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and please choose us again when visiting the Houston area.

Best regards,
Ron Mader

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
Stone Mountain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Arrived at the hotel about 10pm,with no reservation during a time when there was a convention in town, and they were very nice and helpful at the front desk. The building was not that great but once we walked in we were surprise to find such a nice lobby! The resturant was closed but we had many choices in the area to choose from. The room was large and comfortable. the bed was very comfortable. The coffee maker in the room did not work, but it was not that big of a deal, I feel if the guest before us would have mention it they would have addressed it before we checked in. The parking is free, because there were so many guest and we checked in late there we had to park far from the door, but that was understandable. I will be in Houston next week and I plan on spending two nights there. Great place for the price!

Room Tip: book on line and if you pre pay you will get about a $20 discount!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
ronald_mader, General Manager at Hilton Houston Galleria Area, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Greetings!
Thank you so much for the positive review, I sincerely appreciate the posting and look forward to your next visit. We pride ourselves in delivering Excellent Service and please let us know if we can do anything to make you more comfortable.

boston, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I admit it, I judged this book by its cover: a "vintage" 70's hotel, and was a little nervous when I drove up. I might like my clothes and my men vintage, but hotels, notsomuch. But I was really pleasantly surprised. The service was outstanding, from the friendly greetings by the ladies at the front desk, and the gentlemen bellhops always willing to direct you wherever you need to go. Opening the door to the room was like a breath of fresh air, they are large and airy (I had a king room), with a big window, lots of light, and clean, bright bedspread. Mattress was very comfy, if a little bouncy. There was also a large plasma TV, free wifi, and a nice coffeemaker (which I didn't use, but meant to). I didn't notice the noise that some reviewers complain about, but perhaps I was on the quieter side - if so, that should be something you ask for. I stayed on business, so my company booked the trip, and it did appear that the rate was a little higher than I would have expected at $160/night. But, all in all, I was pleased with my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north side, not facing the highway, if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Greetings!
Thank you so much for the positive feedback! I will share your comments with our staff! We do have fantastic associates at our Front Desk and Bellstaff so I appreciate you recognizing them!

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

We ended up at this Hilton instead of the Marriott in Sugar Land thanks to Hotwire (which I will never use again - and the "discount" price was the rack rate). The staff was friendly and tried to be helpful at all times. The hotel is at an angle to the 59 speedway. There are very few rooms that do not overlook the speedway to some degree. At check-in, I asked for a room that didn't directly face the speedway and got exactly that! The girl was new...We were immediately switched to a room on the other side of the building without fuss, even though it too had constant speedway noise. The room was clean. The shower drain gurgled loudly after anyone nearby used the shower. The air conditioner was louder than the traffic noise (maybe for a reason?!). It is definitely not a 3.5 star hotel as Hotwire bills it, nor was it worth the rate. There were many other nicer options in that area for the price. But it was clean and the staff were helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face the speedway
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Greetings and Thank you for your recent feedback about our hotel! I appreciate you taking the time and recognizing our friendliness and cleanliness.

I also understand your concern regarding the highway noise.

I hope that you will consider us again if visiting the Houston Area.

KUWAIT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

There is no welcome in front door
No one to help u with ur bags
In the room no mini bar in the room
The hotel is big building but list empty from inside

• Stayed May 2012
ronald_mader, General Manager at Hilton Houston Galleria Area, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Greetings and thank you for your feedback!

I apologize for not meeting your expectation during this stay. One of the wonderful guest amenities that we feature is complimentary transportation to the Galleria and unfortunately during your arrival our Bellman may have been taking a guest to the Galleria. We also have our Lobby Ambassador on duty, however they may have been assisting another guest.

Unfortunately we do not feature mini bars in the room, however we do have our Pacquito Lounge and Dessert Rose restaurant in addition to room service.

I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations and we do not take our guests for granted and hope that you will try us again in the near future.

Regards
College Station, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

i had the option to upgrade to a north-side room, away from highway 59, and wish i would have!
the noise from the road was really loud.
other than that, the hotel is fine. A bit dated, rest room small, etc. Location is very near to Bellaire, and the galleria.
The breakfast buffet was very good.

Room Tip: get the north side upgrade. might help with the highway noise a bit.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank randolph_10
ronald_mader, General Manager at Hilton Houston Galleria Area, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Greetings and Thank You for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
I appreciate your comments regarding the roadside and 50% of our rooms do face the poolside with City view and you can upgrade to these rooms based on availability.

We also are planning renovations this year and have started our property improvement plan. I also appreciate the comments about our breakfast buffet, it is a fantastic value.

I do hope that you will consider us again when needing hotel services in the Houston area!

Have an Excellent Day!
Ronald Mader, GM
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We came over from England on business and were suitably unimpressed with the hotel and area. The rooms are spacious but have a distinct smell to them especially in the wardrobe / closet. All parties commented on this and I even asked reception to get a cleaner to try and resolve this. The spray lasted all of 30 mins and the wardrobe was back to smelling like an Indian restaurant. My suits and shirts had to be hung over the chair, with the aircon pumping to ensure they did not smell.

All staff are friendly but only a couple seemed useful. We asked where to go for dinner locally and were advised on numerous occasions there is nothing locally and to head towards the Galleria. We asked again and were advised the area is ethnic and not to walk out best to drive. We asked where we headed to find Cypress and the retail outlet, we were advised to head north on 59 you will not miss it, then the next day to head north on 45. It was only after speaking to a bar man at the Grove (downtown) that we were told to head out on the 290. We spent a good couple of hours on a goose chase because the staff did not know the area or general directions.
The staff are happy to help you within the hotel but are not happy to assist you outside of it. We waited in the bar for the so called “shuttle” to return, this is a service where you are dropped anywhere within a 3 mile radius. We enquired about going to Don Carlos about a mile away on the other side of the motorway / freeway. The guy actually had the van key next to his hand as I spoke to him and when I asked “are you the shuttle driver” he responded with “no” and pointed us in the direction of a taxi or to drive ourselves. There were 3 members of staff at reception none of them offered this shuttle or any help but rang a taxi firm that did not answer so yet again we drove out.

We finally stopped listening to staff and went to Don Carlos the Mexican over the road and it was brilliant, yes fair play best to drive there at night but staff should know the local area at the very least.

Facilities wise the rooms were clean but smelt as mentioned above. The area is fine if you want to stay in the hotel every night (we were there for a week). If your room faces the 59 it will be noisy as ours did but that’s to be expected with a busy road. Price wise this hotel seems reasonable but if you factor in having to travel every night then you are better of paying to stay in a better location. One of the party travels to the US on a regular basis and stayed an additional week, they found accommodation elsewhere! If it is a one/ two night stop it is just about acceptable. But do not expect much from this, staff or hotel wise.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ronald_mader, General Manager at Hilton Houston Galleria Area, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Greetings and thank you for your posting!
First, I am sorry that our front desk did not deliver an Excellent experience for you. We have some new hires that we are training and your feedback is valuable.

I also appreciate the opportunity to reach out to you. I did recieve a voicemail a few days ago however I was unable to hear your phone number and name to follow up with you. I also had a staff member try to understand the message so we could look up your info in our Front Desk system however she could not help either.

If you could please contact me again at 713-977-7911 or email at ronald.mader@hilton.com I would appreciate it!

Regards,