“Great last minute stay”

Ranked #141 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Los Angeles
“Great last minute stay”
Reviewed March 5, 2009

On our way from Austin to New Orleans, we ( 6 guys ) stopped ib Houston for a great night. The hotel was very accomodating last minute, made our reservations on line via Hotels.com and was able to get a $99.00 rate for each room. We caught the Houston Rockets playing that night last minute as well. Concierge however was way off on his local recommendations for meals and night life. We were sent to a very seedy part of town via taxi and realized this was not the type of places we would patronize as all of us are willing to spend a little more money than the avergae CLUB scene...

However we did find a great bar " Lucky's " I highly recommend this place, great for beer, mixed drinks, games and great atmosphere, the girl working the front desk when we called the hotel back from our seedy night club romp, was April. She directed us to this little gem, really made the trip...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Wonderfully close to the medical center and Rice University - they even have a free shuttle to take you. The rooms have wonderfully comfortable Hilton beds, and we had a huge suite that even had an extra 1/2 bath so more than one person can get ready in the morning at the same time.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed January 22, 2009

This hotel is very small, but the rooms are large and clean. The view was a residential area, so nothing to see. There is nothing within walking distance except medical buildings. They have a small store in the lobby and if you are a Hilton member, they leave complimentary water in your room. There is a coffee maker, fridge and sink in the room, which is great. I couldn't find a hair dryer in the bathroom and a colleague told me it is hanging in the closet in a bag...who would look there?

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for a business trip to the nearby medical center in Oct. 2008. The hotel rooms are dark and creepy with mirrors on one whole side of the wall. Even with the lights turned on, it was really dark and hard to see (and I'm not old!).

Which probably explains why the cleanng person missed a DIRTY BLACK THONG on the floor of my hotel room. It was completely disgusting how it could be missed and skeeved me out to no end.

This hotel is gross and I would never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank fiji3
Chittenango, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Stayed at the Hilton Houston Medical Plaza for 4 nights in August 2008. The location to Texas Medical Center is perfect, and they have a shuttle that will take you anywhere in the TMC for free, which leaves on the half-hour, and picks you up when you call. We took advantage of this once, but it seems like a nice perk. The rooms, though, are incredibly large, and nice. Flat screen TV's in both the living room and the bedroom. Fast high-speed wireless (although it costs $9.99/day). Parking is easy, but its $12/day as well.

Ironically, it took awhile to get hot water from the tub, and it took awhile to get anything but warm water from the sink faucet. Perhaps this is because I was on the 16th floor, but you learn to deal. Run the tub for a few minutes first, and you're all set. As a hilton honors member, you don't get the "full" breakfast in the cafe, but you get a private continental breakfast in the bar in the morning. Kind of cheesy, but hey, its free, right? There is an "executive floor" for honors members, but its the same as the regular floors. Oh well.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank bkafrick
Portland, OR
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I stayed here for a medical conference so I chose this hotel because it was close. I had a very enjoyable stay with the exception of the pool being closed two of my three day stay! The rooms were nice and clean and apparently fairly recently remodeled. The view off the 19th floor is very pretty. Make sure you ask for the city view. The other side looks off into one of the medical building. I had a truly excellent BLT in the restaurant. In contrast to the previous review, the shuttle service was fast and friendly. At least during my stay, they make it clear that there is limited service to the Galleria. I chose instead to go to Rice Village. The front desk made it clear that I needed to call for pickup. When I did, the shuttle arrived in less than 10 minutes. Although I was very happy, I would probably stay in the Marriott Medical next time just to try something different and also because it's just a little closer.

• Liked — Great Business Accomodations
  • Disliked — No reason to stay at this location unless you're going to the Medical Center.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
manila
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Stayed at the Hilton with my spouse for a conference at one of the nearby hospitals. Arrived at the front desk at around 11 AM and was initially told that my room was not yet ready and was told by the lady at the front desk to return after 4 hours (!!!). This despite my being a member of the HHonors. Strike 1.
We decide to place our bags at the concierge and see where we can go. Since we decided against renting a car as the hotel informed us of a shuttle service to the nearby Rice Village and Galleria (HUGE mistake), we decided to try our luck with the former since it was closer. Before leaving, I attempted to push my luck with the front desk again, this time with a different person (Maria, bless her heart). THIS time she gave us an upgrade to a King Suite on the 18th floor, which was really nice and spacious. Two toilets also enhanced the convenience despite the fairly small ensuite bathroom. The bed was too soft for my preference, but comfortable nonetheless.
After settling in, we decided to check out the nearby Rice Village, which was quaint enough, for lunch and some window shopping. The lunch was forgettable (but that's for another review). Apparently, public phones are non-existent in the Medical Center district and I had to make an international roaming call from my mobile to the hotel for the shuttle pick up since they don't do regular rounds of the place.
Here's strike 2: We were informed (rather late) that the shuttle to the Galleria (singular) leaves ONLY if there are 3 or more people leaving so my wife had to take the cab. Looking at the signboard, nothing there states the 3 or more people condition.
During the conference, we also had to call from the Medical Center to the hotel since the shuttle apparently doesn't make regular rounds (unlike the Holiday Inn - Should have used my Priority Privilege). Myself and a delegation from Norway and India had to wait 3HOURS for the shuttle and only after a terse call to the manager!
Would I stay at the Hilton Medical Plaza again? Maybe, but only if I plan to rent a car!

• Liked — Maria, at the front desk who was most helpful
  • Disliked — LOUSY shuttle service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business