“A very old and tired hotel”

Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center
Ranked #151 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
“A very old and tired hotel”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Because of a large oil & gas conference, getting a hotel room was a bit of a hassle but I finally opted for this hilton because I have some good experiences with the brand. The price was quite steep (USD 355 excl taxes and excl breakfast) but a least I got a suite for that money. The hotel is in the middle of Houston's Medical center area but is not easy to spot because it looks like an office building. I had requested a quiet room away from elevators. The first room I got was an interconnecting, which always results in noise from your neighbors. So I went back to reception and was told it was a full house (which it wasn't as it turned out later). I explained that I really wanted a quiet room at which point the supervisor came by. Within 3 minutes I had a room from the same class but without interconnecting doors. So much for the statements from reception. The room itself is huge and consists of 2 parts, a seating area with a desk and a couch and a second area with 2 double beds and a bathroom. The bed itself was fine but everything in the room was old and tired. It looked like I had walked into a hotel from the 80s. And there was also a smell that I can only define as weird. The hotel had sprayed something, which kind of masked the odour initially but after a few hours, the (mold/damp) small was back in force. The bathroom had just a single bath in which you have to stand to take a shower. But if you are tall (6f4), taking a shower is difficult as the shower head is placed really low. The fitness area was okay (plenty of equipment) and you can run around Rice campus, which is a nice 3 mile run. The swimming pool area was just as tired and old as the rooms. Old astroturf covered the cement surrounding the area, making it look really cheap. I cancelled my stay (I was supposed to stay 3 nights) and got a room at the Four Seasons, which was a little more expensive but sooooo much better. If you can get a room under USD 200 incl breakfast in this hotel it may make sense but at this price there are better alternatives. Hilton, please refurbish this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mddrijver
Britt U, General Manager at Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it assists us on improving our service and quality. I am happy to say we are scheduled to begin our renovation at the end of the year. The hotel will have a new look and feel and will be fantastic.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2014

The Hilton Plaza proved to be a great place to stay. The suite was very comfortable; the food was excellent. The meeting room was just right for the needs of our group. We had a great time while in Houston!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed May 4, 2014

In additional to the locations implied by its name, this Hilton lies at the edge of the Rice University campus and was very well placed for attending a conference there. Also it's just 2 blocks from Houston's rapid transit line, which I took a few stops to the Museum of Fine Arts.

I registered for a space-available upgrade but, none being available when I checked in, I was given a rather strange room on the 9th floor. A wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling window looked out directly on the pool not 10 feet away -- indeed it would have opened on the pool had it not been locked shut; the huge vertical blind was not convenient for opening partially, either. In warmer months you might find this awkward. A trendy sink was located outside the bathroom with little space to put anything, and the stylish bed flared out at the foot in a way that threatened anyone walking by.

Discussion with other conference-goers revealed that almost all of them were staying in much more spacious rooms. So the next day I asked at the desk for a location further from the pool, and was moved at no charge to a suite on the 10th floor. A suite here is two connected standard-size hotel rooms, furnished one as a living room and the other as a bedroom -- a really pleasant amount of space, though plainly furnished. Thus I enjoyed the rest of my stay.

The public areas are not lavish but include what you would expect of a full-service hotel including bar, restaurant, meeting rooms, business and fitness centers, and that pool.

Room Tip: 75% of rooms are suites, so ask for one! Avoid 9th floor facing SE; better views on NW side.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
San Antonio, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2014

A must stay with friendly staff and wonderful service. The food was excellent and catered to our needs for a group dinner. The rooms with suites were comfortable enough for business means. There was a half bath for guests in the suite (thumbs up). The bar staff was friendly.

Helotes, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was my second time to stay in this hotel and I was very happy with the accommodations. I was at a conference so my room price may have been much less then normal but the value was great for the price I paid.

Temple, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The rooms are very very spacious about like living in an apartment. They are quite. Convenient to the medical center. You do have to pay to park in their parking garage. Wifi was great. I would say this was a very good place to stay.

Green Cove Springs, Florida
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I travel to Houston frequently for work, and stay here as often as I can. The hotel's greatest asset is the employees...the focus on customer service is superb, and everyone from the valets to the wait staff are intent on providing excellent service. The friendly atmosphere makes being away from home less isolating, because the staff are willing to go the extra mile to make guests feel welcome and comfortable. In particular, the evening staff in the Garden Court (Jeannette and Daniel) always greet me with a smile and are quick to anticipate every need. They are truly jewels. The morning Honors breakfast area is staffed by a lady who also shows caring and concern for guests, and is a welcoming presence at the start of a busy day. I enjoy the Medical Center area because of the nearby location of shops and restaurants, and the proximity to my work, but rarely leave the hotel due to the good food, good company, and comfortable rooms. The rooms are spacious and clean, and while the hotel is a little dated, it is nevertheless a great place to unwind after a busy day.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of downtown Houston. Beautiful
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. I truly appreciate you mentioning the staff and the great job they do daily. I am happy to say we are scheduled to begin our renovation at the end of the year. We cant wait so have you back on your next trip to Houston.