“Great room, lousy shuttles”

Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center
Ranked #147 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Stayed at the Hilton with my spouse for a conference at one of the nearby hospitals. Arrived at the front desk at around 11 AM and was initially told that my room was not yet ready and was told by the lady at the front desk to return after 4 hours (!!!). This despite my being a member of the HHonors. Strike 1.
We decide to place our bags at the concierge and see where we can go. Since we decided against renting a car as the hotel informed us of a shuttle service to the nearby Rice Village and Galleria (HUGE mistake), we decided to try our luck with the former since it was closer. Before leaving, I attempted to push my luck with the front desk again, this time with a different person (Maria, bless her heart). THIS time she gave us an upgrade to a King Suite on the 18th floor, which was really nice and spacious. Two toilets also enhanced the convenience despite the fairly small ensuite bathroom. The bed was too soft for my preference, but comfortable nonetheless.
After settling in, we decided to check out the nearby Rice Village, which was quaint enough, for lunch and some window shopping. The lunch was forgettable (but that's for another review). Apparently, public phones are non-existent in the Medical Center district and I had to make an international roaming call from my mobile to the hotel for the shuttle pick up since they don't do regular rounds of the place.
Here's strike 2: We were informed (rather late) that the shuttle to the Galleria (singular) leaves ONLY if there are 3 or more people leaving so my wife had to take the cab. Looking at the signboard, nothing there states the 3 or more people condition.
During the conference, we also had to call from the Medical Center to the hotel since the shuttle apparently doesn't make regular rounds (unlike the Holiday Inn - Should have used my Priority Privilege). Myself and a delegation from Norway and India had to wait 3HOURS for the shuttle and only after a terse call to the manager!
Would I stay at the Hilton Medical Plaza again? Maybe, but only if I plan to rent a car!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank viajeroManila

Reviewed May 4, 2008

So from the beginning, the parkiing attendents were nice and directed me to self-parking--which was horrendous because it was an event night for both sport venues that shared a garage with the hotel. The hotel is huge, but not too difficult to find your way around. The front desk agent was very friendly and made sure to put my friend and I in a room away from the 10,000 teenage volleyball girls who were there for a tournament. The room was nice, very comfortable beds, everything was in great condition. We had dinner outside of the hotel that night, but had breakfast in the cafe the next morning. That turned out to be a mistake since we were apparantly sat in between 2 servers' areas. We waited about 10 minutes and then watched the 2 of them argue for another 10 minutes before one of them finally lost and had to come take our order. By the time she finally came over we almost missed the breakfast buffet altogether. The only reason we stayed is because we had a coupon for free breakfast.
We mentioned it to the hostess as we left and all she had to say was "I'm sorry, where were you sitting?" Then she basically sent us on our way.
When we got back to our room after exploring Houston, we found that even though we had left a "do not disturb" sign on the door, our room had been cleaned and we found our toilet was clogged. Because it was late, and we were both tired, we chose to not call the front desk, but did write notes on our express check-out receipt. When I gave the receipt to the front desk at check out, the agent did take off the $10 that was remaining from our breakfast bill from the morning before.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2008

Wife and I spent two weeks here while a family member was in the hospital.
Our suite had two rooms, a bedroom and a nice living room, both with their own TV. We also had two bathrooms which was nice.
There is a parking garage with the hotel, a restaurant and a bar.
The front desk staff was very helpful during our entire stay.
The restaurant isn't very good. The service and the food could be much better for a Hilton property although there is a Kobe Burger on the menu that is good.
This property is an easy two block walk to the Texas Children's Hospital or Saint Lukes.
There is construction next door that can be noisy at times but all in all a nice hotel that we would stay at again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TennRoadWarrior
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a business trip. Very spacious suite. Bathroom was a bit small, but there were 2 in the suite!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2008

I used 60,000 hilton points to stay here for two days. I requested a double bed room, and got a room with a suite. It included a sofa, three chairs, desk and two tv's and an additonal half bath!
This hotel looks old, but everything inside is new. Furniture, bedding, fixtures, carpeting - everything was recently added. I was in Houston to viist a relative in ICU at St. Luke's The free shuttle service to the hospital was great! Sunday, the driver took us to the hospital, picked us up, took us straight to a restaurant, picked us up and took us back to the hospital. Monday was a different story. It was extremely busy at the hotel and at the hospital. Traffic was awful and the shuttle service was crowded with other hotel guests needing rides to the hospital, creating a long wait. 2 pots of coffee and danishes from room service costs $28. Bath robes in the room were a nice touch and so was the refrigerator. I was in room 1212 and had a fantastic view of downton Houston. No free newspaper on the weekends. Parking is $15 a day if you have a car. No shopping is walkable. Shops at the university village were nice and we had an excellent breakfast and a manicure. My only complaint was the smoke alarm test at 7:00am my last morning. Someone came over the loud speaker in the room saying, "This is a test"! I called the front desk and complained,but other than that, I had a very nice stay for a stressful, health related visit.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Isky
Reviewed October 12, 2007

The hotel was booked through our office travel agent. I was in Houston for a business trip at Rice U. The hotel is adjacent to Rice and there is a hotel shuttle service to and from if prior arrangements are made. We learned this on the 2nd day of our four day stay. The taxis at the corner WILL NOT take anyone to Rice or nearby locations. They are primarily intersted in airport trips. We also used the shuttle to for dinner in the Village. The shuttle will also pick-up on request.

The room and facilities are great. The staff friendly and helpful. The hotel food excellent. The gym needs to be updated a little. The hotel does offer a pass to a nearby gym if the hotel gym isn't up to your standards.

The business center has three computers for email access and the hotel will provide a log-in and password for an hour's worth, free of charge. The hotel room also have internet available on the TV for a $10.00 charge, but is very slow and cumbersome. Not recommended.

The beds are comfortable, pillow abundant and comfy. There is plenty of soap, shampoo, etc. Not much of a view from the room ,but not a priority to me.

The bar is quite nice and has a TV. The reception had a violinist playing each evening and we enjoyed this while spending time in the bar.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Genevax
Reviewed June 15, 2007

Have stayed at the Best Western and the Marriott at the Medical Center. The Hilton is absolutely the best for the main reason that the rooms are suites and the medical rate was $60 less than a regular room at the Marriott. Coming back to a suite after spending long hours with my husband (who was a patient at Texas Heart) makes it seem a little more like home rather than a hotel. There is an odor of smoke in the lobby since the lounge opens onto the lobby and smoking is allowed in the lounge. However, the suites do not smell like smoke (in case this is an issue with you) The shuttle drivers will take you not only to the various medical facilities but also to Rice Village (nearby with shopping and restaurants) and are extremely friendly. I had two 10 day stays in Houston this year due to my husband's 3 operations; I can tell you without a doubt that the Hilton is is the place to stay if your family member is in for a long hospital stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family