“Nice, but could do better so easily!”

Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center
Ranked #152 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed August 7, 2012

First the good- We paid the $9 upgrade to a 700sf suite and it was huge. Two separate rooms with a living room area and half bath. Large shower/tub. Comfortable king bed. Great view. Check in and out was easy. Nice enough employees. Nice big pool area on the 9th floor. Room rate was about $125 with tax and $9 self parking included.( Valet was $19.95)

Not so good was the fact that you MUST swipe a room key to use the elevator, enter the pool area, enter OR EXIT the parking garage. This was a pain in the rear, to be honest. Is this neighborhood this bad?
Room service ends too early at 11:00 on weekends. We had to leave and drive around to find a place to eat on a Saturday night after a concert at Reliant. Not much nearby at 11:15 PM in the medical center area. Room service would have been awesome since we were tired.
When we checked in, in the room fridge was a box of old KFC chicken from the previous guest. Yuck. I just set it out in the hallway.
There is no executive lounge like other Hiltons.
All in all, even with the problems, I would stay at this property again because the rate was great for such a large room/suite. And the proximity to Reliant is nice.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade to the two room suite for $9. doubles the space.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Britt U, General Manager at Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate some of the amenities you may have wanted. I will work with our team to see if we can include some of your suggestions. The health and safety of our guests is a top priority for us so we do have room key access installed in our elevators to alleviate any unnecessary foot traffic. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center

Reviewed August 4, 2012

This was the largest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was a bedroom-living room suite with a bathroom, powder room, and bar.

The good: It was very clean and spacious. Very Hilton. I felt like I needed more people to help me populate all the space I had. The view was spectacular, and I was less than 2 miles from Rice Village.

The bad: The self-parking is a nightmare--the deck is very tight, and may the travel gods have mercy on you if an SUV is barreling down the other way. There is very little of interest to walk to around the hotel. I didn't want to pay for hotel food (and I could find no vending machines), so my options were a rough looking chinese place across the street, or a 3-block walk to the Burger King and Wingstop. Finally, the staff was not particularly friendly or outgoing to me, possibly because I look too young to be a CEO.

In looking at the above, I had to drop my initial rating from 4 to 3 stars. My company paid for my hotel, and after seeing the bill, I would choose another hotel if that money was coming out of my pocket. It was a nice stay, but there were too many holes to recommend them without seeing what else is out there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a suite for a week while I attended a conference at Rice. I don't usually like gigantic hotels like this, but we had a very pleasant stay. Everyone working at the hotel was super friendly and extremely helpful. Our room was clean and well-equipped, and the linens were nice. The location was great for me since it's across the street from Rice. I don't know Houston geography very well, but it's also very close to Rice Village and the Museum District. I can't comment on the food, but it would have been nice if some form of complementary breakfast (however small) had been offered. The view of downtown from our room was my favorite thing...who knew Houston was so beautiful?!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I am really surprised to read some of the negative reviews. My family and I stayed at Hilton medical on Travis and had a wonderful stay. (and we are extremely picky about where we stay) The reason I chose Hilton medical was because it was close to Rice University, which is why we were in town. The kids had soccer camp there. From the minute we arrived to the minute we checked out, everything was perfect! Front desk was very friendly and helpful, valet was very friendly and helpful, and housekeeping was excellent! Entire staff was friendly and helpful. I do have to agree with the person who mentioned about the valet not available after certain hour. The few nights that we came in late, we just gave our keys to front desk and they took care of parking our car. We never had any issue with that. Also the gym room was really nice, with great equipment. Another amenity I found useful was the guest washer and dryer. Since we were there for 7 days, I had quite a bit of laundry to do. Overall, great stay and wonderful experience! I wish the other reviews would have had the same experience that we had.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Good hotel close to the medical center. There aren't many restaurants close by, but they do have a shuttle. The rooms are quite comfortable, and the staff are very friendly. It is pretty sedate, but I didn't mind.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is a nice property. It is well dexcribed in other reviews so I won't repeat what has already been written. I thought the front desk and restaurant service was excellent. The food was also very good. The only two negatives were the lack of an executive lounge and the fact that the parking attendant kept disappearing. The desk folks were helpful in find ing the parking guy but it was odd that he was repeatedly MIA. Otherwise a good stay.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have read other reviews on this page and am surprised. I was very happy with my stay. The suite was enormous with a separate powder room for visitors and very comfortable. It was very spacious and had all the amenities that I required, including a good coffeemaker as well as plenty of storage space, good light and lots of mirrors.Two tv's, free unlimited wifi, a very comfortable bed and a very quiet room. If I had to choose one negative it is that the air conditioning can be noisy when it cuts in.
The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful, there are free shuttles around the area and the gym is one of the best equipped that I have come across. The restaurant offers plenty of healthy choices and service was very good as well as room service meals which were delivered quickly. We had people checking if all was right with our room more than once during our week long stay. The hotel is located conveniently in the medical district and is also close to many art galleries and museums. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business