“Great location for Medical Center with Shuttle Service”

Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District
Ranked #15 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My mom and I recently stayed here while a family member was in the hospital. We had not planned to stay, but we were able to get a reservation very quickly and easily. The room was clean and nice, but the bathroom is small. It was fine for just mom and I, but I think it would be difficult for a family to get ready in the small space. The bed and sheets were very comfortable, and the towels were nice too. A bonus is the hotel runs a shuttle to anywhere within 2 miles which is very convenient if you need to get to the hospital. There is also a restaurant and bar which serves food later at night after the restaurant closes. I would not recommend this hotel if your are vacationing, but it's great if you need easy access to the medical center.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We are a family of 5(two adults, two teens and one pre-teen). We chose this hotel for a weekend stay for an event in the museum district nearby. We had family staying at the Hotel ZaZa just up the street. This hotel was an affordable alternative to staying there. This hotel, being right in the heart of so many hospitals, probably best serves anyone visiting these medical centers. It is even actually connected by crosswalk to one hospital. However, with the rail system being literally out the front door, it made the museum district very accessible as well. It is also a very walkable area, with the proximity of Rice University and Hermann Park making for well-groomed sidewalks. We parked our car at check in and did not have to drive anywhere the whole weekend!
However, I would NOT CHOOSE to stay at this hotel again for one main reason: the room was much too small ! The five of us have stayed in many a hotel room together, and this is by far the most cramped we've ever felt. The bathroom was TINY, leaving no room for more than one person to be in there at a time (for example, one dressing at the mirror, while one showers). The mirror fogged over easily by the shower in the unvented, tight space; and the toilet took up most of the standing room. The only other mirror available was on a sliding closet door (flimsy-kept coming off track) in the entry. With no outlet plugs near that area, the two girls in our family had to resort to setting up a hairdryer/curling iron/make-up station at the business desk. We tried (unsuccessfully) to see ourselves in the glass of the picture above the desk. It did not help that there was no view- on the 12th floor, we were practically window to window with the ugly building next door.

There were positives: prompt, friendly check-in; room clean; good maid service, desk called to make sure we received the roll away bed we requested (we did); fresh/white bed comforters, clean/spacious work out room; nice sunlight in the lobby; crosswalk to the hospital has shops, lunch place; easy to pay for the parking at a machine by the elevators to the parking garage (connected to hotel)

But further not-so-greats: The indoor pool is nothing special/showing wear. The lobby, though having great windows, could use a bit of updating in the décor (not that bad, but not that good either); the lobby had complimentary water infused with fruits, but coffee would have been nicer. I say this about the coffee for two reasons. We were told by phone the first night that we could add our family to the hotel breakfast for only $30 total-can't beat that for 5 folks. But when we tried to do so the next morning, they told us that because we were booked through Expedia, that was a no-go...would have to pay full price (expensive). So, around the corner we go to a place that served breakfast, lunch and dinner-but they didn't serve coffee! What!? (Sit down, full breakfast places were limited in walking distance from the hotel.) There's a coffee pot in the room, but you know..that mug with breakfast kinda gets the day started out right.

In short, this Marriott had few frills. Just a month ago, we visited people staying at the Houston Marriott Energy Corridor- it was much much nicer! This property better serves business than pleasure, in my opinion. Also, I found the standard room to be too small for more than two people.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Good day, thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear about your experience with your family. We strive to provide a clean and comfortable room so you can enjoy your time with us. If your travels do bring you back to our hotel our front desk would be happy to discuss some suite options in order to provide more space for your family. I am glad to hear about the great interactions you had with our staff members and we will make sure to recognize them for a job well done. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. Best-Derek

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in late May to attend a wedding in Houston. The check in and room were fine. We wanted to dine in the Hotels restaurant one night, but it was closed for a private party. There were no other restaurants within walking distance other than fast food places. The next morning we wanted morning coffee from the Starbucks in the lobby. It too was closed. I thought the $9 parking fee every time we went out of the parking lot was a bit excessive. Finally on the second morning the parents of the groom arranged for breakfast to be served. No one in the restaurant in the hotel knew any thing about it. We finally found out that it was in a separate room that neither the parents of the groom or restaurant employees knew about

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Good Day, I am sorry to hear about your experience while staying with us. We will be discussing the information you have provided to learn how we could have provided a better stay. We hope that one day your travels will bring you back to stay with us and I would recommend our valet service especially when exiting out of the garage multiple times as it has in and out privileges. In addition we do provide a complimentary shuttle that provides our guest’s transportation to visit Rice Village which has many great restaurants. Again thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.
Best- Derek

Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I just checked out yesterday after staying two nights while we had our son at Texas Childrens Hospital. This was one of the worst places we have ever stayed and we travel a lot. The property is outdated terribly. It has unclean rooms and the sheets smelt dirty. The proximity to hospital is wonderful and the room size is about the size of a hospital room to help get you acclimated to a hospital stay. The good news is you can sit on the toilet, reach to the sink and brush your teeth, close the door and run the bath water without ever getting up. Bartenders are terrible and rude. My wife and I both felt like we were visiting Graceland as the decor is about that outdated. Do not stay here!! Do your homework there are much better options cheaper!!! Budget motels are equal if not better than this experience. Lets not forget the pool.... WOW.... filthy and disgusting. You can't fix everything with 30 gallons of chlorine!! Oh and neat trick with the thermostat. It is calibrated so you think the room is cooler than it is. We keep our home 68 degrees and know what that feels like. We cranked this one down to 63 and I assure you it was atleast 72. Marriott this place hurts your image. I didn't do my homework because this was a Marriott and some places you assume to maintain a higher standard consistently than others. Corporate folks where are you???...Get off your rears and go take a look!!

2  Thank artibear
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Hello Artibear,
First and foremost, allow to express my sincere apologies for the experience you and your family had while staying at the hotel. This is certainly not the standard as we pride ourselves on providing a clean well maintained product with engaging guest service. I’m very disappointed that we failed to deliver that to you. I will be sharing your feedback with the team so that we can take immediate action to correct these challenges. While it is never easy to learn that we failed one of our guests, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I can assure that we will address this and I hope that we have the opportunity to regain your business in the future.
Best – Derek

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I come to this Hotel so frequently because it is the best combination of ultimate service, quality, and convenience versus cost of anywhere I've ever stayed. You'll love it. That's all that really needs to be said.

Embellishment: I have stayed in a lot of hotels as a previous Airline Captain. Under the leadership of GM Derek Ellis, this Hotel is 5 stars regardless of what anyone else or any poll says. Marriott bedding is fabulous, so is the shower (yes, water saver) -- and so is the food, but what sticks out in my mind on this trip is the people and how many of those employed there spoke to me, saying and MEANING "seriously, what can I do to make your stay more enjoyable?" Then each inevitably followed his/her words up with action. I tell you this Hotel atmosphere is saturated with customer service for their most important product -- you and your well-being. True of front desk clerk Christina who gave me complimentary WiFi because I asked for it to Food & Beverage Manager Jay Poulon, who delivered a complimentary hors d'oeuvres/wine tray to our room in appreciation of our new friendship and my business. Earlier, received a wonderful complimentary tray and personal cards from GM Derek Ellis because it was the month of my birthday. From 26-year employee Yolanda, who singlehandedly manages the morning breakfast buffet (5-star, but for her a 3:00 AM get-up every work day) to concierge hostess Evelyn who also performs her food and entertainment duties equally spectacularly. Constantly, I was meeting management, not because I went there to see them, but rather because they came to me. Each would introduce themselves to me and ask that perpetual question, "What can I do to make your stay more enjoyable? Anything, you name it." Another person worthy of praise is a young lady named Tuesday. She meant every word of what she said, but I asked for nothing. Entirely content.

Five star, period. The stay will uplift you. As a side note, if as an MD Anderson cancer or Texas Medical Center patient, you don't take advantage of this wonderful, delightful temporary lodging experience, then, if doctors have not done so already, have them also check out your brain.

Howard L. Bayne III

Room Tip: Contact management for what you need and want from room to amenities. They will deliver. $9 parkin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was our second visit, after staying a month in March. When your spouse is being treated at MD Anderson and you have no family in the area, customer service is invaluable. It starts with the GM Derek Ellis, whose kindness and professionalism set the hotel tone. The front desk team of Sean, Devanshi and Caitlin make sure everything is to your satisfaction with great skill, warmth and humor. Genet and Maraceli tend to our stomachs as well as our spirits and without a request, pack us off for a day at the hospital with extra water or coffee.
The hotel removes you from the medical feeling, yet is walking distance to hospitals. The pool and gym enable you to work off the tensions of the day. Rice Village is an easy 20 minute walk, or the shuttle will take you there for free. The hotel is on the light rail line and you can easily visit museums, the zoo or downtown.
The hotel and rooms are comfortable but a little dated. That is no problem as the entire hotel is scheduled for updating starting this year. The restaurants are good and Paladora Lounge has enhanced the light entrees. The barbacoa tacos and spicy chicken wings were great.
When we arrived in March, Tavia sent us a note saying to consider her staff "our new family" and they would do anything to assist us. It was as true then as it is now. While we do not enjoy the reason for our quarterly trips to Houston, we know we start with good fortune--our Marriott family.

Room Tip: * If you will be at the hotel for more than a week get the love and care package. It includes daily...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Good day,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful and positive experience that you had with us. We appreciate your time and know it is valuable. We understand the reason for your stay with us and we would like you to know we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us.

Best,
Derek

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I usually prefer to stay in Hilton's; however, I decided to give this Marriott a chance. This is a very nice Marriott in the medical center of downtown Houston. Parking garage is self-parking and you can pay downstairs or by credit card when you exit. Fairly easy.

The hotel lobby is very small and spread out with a Starbucks that has really weird hours inside. The starbucks is only open until 3:00pm for some reason. There is a hotel bar on the second floor along with a lounge for breakfast, etc.

Nothing incredibly special about the stay. The front desk always seemed to be short staffed and busy. Easy to get a taxi to and from other locations if needed. Shuttle service available as well. Rooms were very nice.

Main issue was the elevators. Only a few seem to ever be running and be prepared for large crowds in the lobby at peak hours of the day. There is an area about 10 x 10 which people begin to cram into on top of each other waiting for an elevator or two to come. Not the best experience.

As with all of my reviews -
Q: Would I stay again?
A: Yes. Wasn't great. Wasn't remarkable. Wasn't terrible either.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Good day,
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your time is providing the feedback regarding our hotel and our ladies and gentlemen. I am happy to inform you that we are currently undergoing an elevator remodel project and that is the reason for the delay you might have expereienced. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and experience our new elevators.
Best,