WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Houston Marriott Medical Center

Houston Marriott Medical Center
Ranked #63 of 500 Hotels in Houston
Dallas
“Great location, but rooms could use some updating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here three nights with our two kids (7 and 10 years old) in March 2014 for Spring Break. The Metro Rail station is right in front of the hotel and provides easy access to the Museum District, Houston Zoo, and even the Downtown Aquarium. We stayed in room with two doubles beds. The beds were very comfortable, but were smaller than what we are used to, so keep this in mind if you are booking for a family. The rooms are very standard and somewhat dated. Our room had a small fridge and we were able to get a microwave, too. I was happy the TV's allowed for easy connections (RCA, VGA, and HDMI) through a separate box. The hotel has an indoor pool and hot tub. Towels are provided. The kids enjoyed the pool and we enjoyed the hot tub. Another reviewer though the pool was not clean. The water seemed clean to me, but it is a white vinyl/plastic pool and has staining around the waterline area. They should make an effort to clean this up. The service at the front desk was very good. The valet parking service was hit-or-miss during our stay. They allowed us to go to our cars for items when necessary; this was helpful. I guess I am not a big fan of paying $23 for valet and then having to tip on top of that every time I get my car or get the keys to go to my car. Next time, I would chose the self park for $9. I would not rely on the free shuttle service because it is subject to availability, of course. Overall, we liked this hotel.

Room Tip: Research how to get the Houston Metro Q Pass or Day Pass, so you can use the Metro rail anytime. The...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Dallasdad40
Derek E, Public Relations Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
We thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We will take your feedback and make the necessary changes we are able to do. We know you have many options when picking a hotel and we hope to be able to welcome you back.

Amy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed here 2 nights for a medical conference across the street. From the time I arrived until I left, the entire staff was quite welcoming. Check-in was prompt and efficient. My room was quiet and had a nice view of Fannin Street. On a Saturday night, I had some issues with my television reception and remote control, but the engineer on call came up immediately and solved the problem in 30 seconds. Workout facilities and restaurants were excellent also. Overall, I would definitely return to this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wonderul feedback regarding our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here only one night but wish I could have stayed longer. As soon as I got out of the car, a very friendly staff member started checking me in on her tablet as we walked to the lobby. Check-in could not have been faster. Clean, modern lobby, rooms, and pool area. The room was very comfortable. I always appreciate a refrigerator in the room for my soda and water. Excellent water pressure in the shower. I was at the end of the hall and never heard a noise outside the room. Breakfast served to my room (ordered the night before) made my morning very efficient. Could not have had a better stay!

Dear JoAnn,
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here during my husband's surgery at St. Luke's across the street and it couldn't have been a better choice. The bed was very comfortable and the shades didn't let in the morning light. We enjoyed the food in the hotel and there's a Starbucks in the lobby. The staff went above and beyond, getting us whatever we needed, even in the middle of the night when we needed a complete change of linen due to some post-surgery night sweats. Plus, there's free can service to anywhere within two miles. With our Marriott Rewards status, we got free breakfast and dinner appetizers (enough for a whole meal) in a special dining room. If we ever need to return to the medical center (of course I hope we don't), we wouldn't hesitate in booking here again. Tip: ask for high room. There are many birds in the trees outside the hotel and they make a lot of noise.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Good day,
Thank you for the wonderful feedback and comments regarding our hotel. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please contact us directly should your travels bring you back to us.

Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I generally love Marriott Hotels and try to stay with them when I can. This Marriott has an ideal location to the Medical Centers and an easy walk to most of the buildings. The staff is very helpful and cordial. The "check in" and "check out" was easy and flawless. Getting transportation by taxi was also simple as there were many people working outside the hotel to help you with this. The shuttle driver was kind enough to take us (six of us) to a nearby restaurant and pick us up after our meal. Overall, they get many, many kudos for their service and customer support.

The bar on the second floor is comfortable and inviting for a pre- or post-dinner drink and conversation. I did not eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on the food.

The rooms are the only negative and, not all that negative. My room had a very small bathroom. The door was practically hitting the toilet. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable but the heater (yes, it was very cold by Houston standards... high temperature was only in the mid-30 degrees) was not efficient and did not warm the room well. In addition, the fan to the heater was blowing so hard it blew papers off the desk... and it also felt like it was blowing cold rather than hot air.

1 Thank drlynnrose
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear drlynnrose,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We truly value your feedback and use it to improve upon. We will look into your comments about the heat/air in your specific room and address the opportunity. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel should your travels bring to you Houston again.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

I stayed there on business. The price was extremely out of range(they said because of the rodeo). My room was horrible. Unclean drapes noisy hvac unit and I could hear the metro train blow whenever it came bye. Walls were dirty and shower had rusty parts. My chair had some goo on it and the ceiling had glow in the dark stuff on it that I saw when I went to bed. Lobby was nice and location was great for hospitals. I've stayed a lot of places and the charge should have been what a 2 star should have been.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hello Eal5337,
First and foremost, allow me to apologize for your recent experience at the hotel. I value your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share with us areas of opportunity. While it is never easy to learn that we did not deliver a flawless experience it provides us the necessary information to continue to refine and improve our operation. I will be sharing your comments with my team during our weekly staff meeting and ensure that we take proper corrective action. I appreciate your business and hope that we have the opportunity to recover with you in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I recently stayed here due to the hotels proximity to the hospitals. The rooms were OK, they need an update, including better soundproofing (your staying next to a lot of hospitals, you will hear sirens, where are the free earplugs?). My bathroom was filthy; there was hair all over the floor. The front desk and elite desk staff were great, very courteous and helped me locate an iPhone charger that I so desperately needed. I would probably stay here again just based on the hotels location. Hopefully the bathrooms are cleaner next time.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Hello Surfergirl2020,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. While it was wonderful to learn that the front desk and elite staff were courteous and helpful, I was disappointed that we failed on the housekeeping service. We take great pride in delivering a clean well maintained product and I apologize we did not deliver during your recent stay. I will be sharing your feedback with our team and I can assure you we will take the action necessary to improve. In addition, the hotel will undergo a complete room’s renovation next year which will include a brand new design and additional soundproofing. We value your input and look forward to the next opportunity to serve you.