“Good but slow check-in”

Ranked #70 of 510 Hotels in Houston
TX
“Good but slow check-in”
Reviewed April 21, 2010

The rooms are spacious. Parking is $8 but internet is free. Was clean and comfortable for what we paid on priceline. Check-in was slow.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. It is through feedback from our guests that we are able to improve our services. I apologize that your check in was slow. We had a large group that checked in this week and you may have arrived during their check in. I hope that you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Houston.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Texas
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Overall, this hotel is on par with most Hilton, Ramada etc. of the same class. It's a very solid 3 star hotel.
The front desk staff were friendly and courteous, the rooms were clean and well furnished, the beds were fine, and I really had no complains. The pluses not always found in other hotels of this type is that my room came with a fridge and microwave which was very nice. The Wi-FI in the room was FREE and the signal was actually pretty good.
One minor demerit is that the carpet in the hallway and hobby is obviously in need of update. The style isn't old but it was visibly worn. Also for many hotels outside of downtown, parking is usually free, but it was not the case at this hotel. Self-park is $8/night. The computer system for some reason mistaken that I valet parked and it was a good thing I stopped by the front desk to check out and found out. The staff quickly corrected and apologized.
The hotel is conveniently located off 59 and close to downtown, shopping etc. I wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! Feedback from our guests is how we know what we need to do to improve and also give your comments back to employees who are making the difference. I hope that you will be our guest again when your travels bring you to Houston.

houston
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We were in Houston for our wedding anniversary weekend. Booked the hotel through Hotwire, got a SUPER great rate. Was leary after reading some reviews here. But have to say our stay was VERY good. Room was super, clean, beds were comfortable, granite countertops throughout. Lobby facility was beautiful, all 4 elevators were functioning and were brightly lit and very nice. (We didn't use the fitness center, pool/spa, or restaurant.) Parking, $8/day, was easy in and out, well lit. Location of this hotel is great. NOTE--at check-in, we requested a room away from the freeway and they accommodated us. I'd be leery of having a room that fronts I-59 for traffic noise. Overall, a great stay. (We were on 4th floor, no smells, not musty. No construction that I could see. Several wedding parties going on, but no problem.)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 13, 2010
Hello and thanks! It is always nice to hear from our guests that we succeeded in providing a great stay at our hotel. Also, it is great that you took the time to say so on Trip Advisor. I hope that you will be back to see us again.

Abingdon, Maryland
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I must start by saying that I was in Houston at this hotel during the Rodeo. Wow was that an experience! But to the point, The Staff was amazing! The two ladies from the sales staff made my stay well worth the stay. There were several issue that arose due to how reservations were originally made. These issue were addressed prior to my arrival and were sustained throughout my stay.
But I must admit the actual facility itself is less than noteworthy. The elevators are noisy and slow. The building is being repainted but the structure is falling apart. The elevator for the parking garage is actually separating from the concrete walls. It looks like there have been many efforts to improve the hotel's appearance.
There was one occasion where my room had been cleaned but there were NO towels at all in the room. I mean that kinda of stuff is the basics. If you can't get the basics right from the start than I will usually not revisit the hotel again. Being as I travel 50-75% of the time I can say this with conviction and certainty.
All in all my 11 night stay in Houston was a good one. Mostly in part due to Debbie Hollier and Angie Techmanski. I will actually be returning there later this month to conduct some business and I will be staying at the Crowne. I want to experience the Houston Crowne experience without all the "Rodeo" traffic.
Ladies, Thank you !

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
Thank you for your review! Your comments are valuable and we can certainly use your feedback to help make things better. Our goal is for all guests to have a great night's sleep and to enjoy our hotel services. Do feel free to call me anytime that I can assist you in working with my hotel.

Thanks again and best regards,
New Mexico
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Call in advance for your reservations, the hotel is a professional, friiendly, courteous, a great organization

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Hello and thank you for your review!

It is alway nice to hear good things from our guests. Our goal is to ensure that all guests enjoy their stay. When your travels bring you back to Houston, I hope that you will stay again and stop by to say hello.

Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed March 17, 2010

After reading the mixed reviews for this hotel, we were a bit apprehensive, but we had a good stay here at a difficult time for our family. We were in Houston because of a close relative's death, and we wanted a quiet room and ample work space because we had to handle funeral arrangements and estate matters. We stayed 8 nights, and found the room very comfortable, quiet, spacious and with a good-size desk and a reliable wireless connection. The coffee maker, microwave and fridge were welcome, as I am diabetic and like to prepare my own breakfast. The business center was always available (only 2 out of 3 computers are connected to the printer, however), and it had good free coffee.

Our only complaint -- and it is a minor one -- is that the chairs in our room (both the easy chair and the desk chair) were worn, with scratches and a couple of stains. Since the room otherwise looked freshly renovated, perhaps new chairs hadn't arrived yet.

We booked the hotel via Priceline, and our rate was quite low. For this reason, we did not mind the $8/day parking fee. That would probably not have been true if we had paid the full price for the room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank regburns
Thank you for your review!

It is always nice to hear from guests who have enjoyed their stay. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Houston that you will stay with us again.

Most sincerely,

Los Angeles
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Got here at 2:30 and couldn't check in till 3:45 because of line!!!!!! Why $8 to park??? No other place to street park or an inexpensive parking garage.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, March 11, 2010
Hello and thank you for your comments.

I do want to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with a slow check in recently. It is our goal to provide excellent service and comfortable accommodations and I do understand that a long wait to check in can affect your opinion of our hotel. I can assure you that it is not the norm for such a long wait and that it was due to several large groups staying here as well as the Rodeo event in town. Please let us have another chance when your travels bring you back to Houston. You may contact me direction to discuss parking options as well.

Thanks again and best regards,