“An average stay with above average People”

Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks
Ranked #86 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I must start by saying that I was in Houston at this hotel during the Rodeo. Wow was that an experience! But to the point, The Staff was amazing! The two ladies from the sales staff made my stay well worth the stay. There were several issue that arose due to how reservations were originally made. These issue were addressed prior to my arrival and were sustained throughout my stay.
But I must admit the actual facility itself is less than noteworthy. The elevators are noisy and slow. The building is being repainted but the structure is falling apart. The elevator for the parking garage is actually separating from the concrete walls. It looks like there have been many efforts to improve the hotel's appearance.
There was one occasion where my room had been cleaned but there were NO towels at all in the room. I mean that kinda of stuff is the basics. If you can't get the basics right from the start than I will usually not revisit the hotel again. Being as I travel 50-75% of the time I can say this with conviction and certainty.
All in all my 11 night stay in Houston was a good one. Mostly in part due to Debbie Hollier and Angie Techmanski. I will actually be returning there later this month to conduct some business and I will be staying at the Crowne. I want to experience the Houston Crowne experience without all the "Rodeo" traffic.
Ladies, Thank you !

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2010

Thank you for your review! Your comments are valuable and we can certainly use your feedback to help make things better. Our goal is for all guests to have a great night's sleep and to enjoy our hotel services. Do feel free to call me anytime that I can assist you in working with my hotel.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,665)

Reviewed March 17, 2010

Call in advance for your reservations, the hotel is a professional, friiendly, courteous, a great organization

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2010

Hello and thank you for your review!

It is alway nice to hear good things from our guests. Our goal is to ensure that all guests enjoy their stay. When your travels bring you back to Houston, I hope that you will stay again and stop by to say hello.

Reviewed March 17, 2010

After reading the mixed reviews for this hotel, we were a bit apprehensive, but we had a good stay here at a difficult time for our family. We were in Houston because of a close relative's death, and we wanted a quiet room and ample work space because we had to handle funeral arrangements and estate matters. We stayed 8 nights, and found the room very comfortable, quiet, spacious and with a good-size desk and a reliable wireless connection. The coffee maker, microwave and fridge were welcome, as I am diabetic and like to prepare my own breakfast. The business center was always available (only 2 out of 3 computers are connected to the printer, however), and it had good free coffee.

Our only complaint -- and it is a minor one -- is that the chairs in our room (both the easy chair and the desk chair) were worn, with scratches and a couple of stains. Since the room otherwise looked freshly renovated, perhaps new chairs hadn't arrived yet.

We booked the hotel via Priceline, and our rate was quite low. For this reason, we did not mind the $8/day parking fee. That would probably not have been true if we had paid the full price for the room.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank regburns

Thank you for your review!

It is always nice to hear from guests who have enjoyed their stay. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Houston that you will stay with us again.

Most sincerely,

Reviewed March 10, 2010

Got here at 2:30 and couldn't check in till 3:45 because of line!!!!!! Why $8 to park??? No other place to street park or an inexpensive parking garage.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2010

Hello and thank you for your comments.

I do want to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with a slow check in recently. It is our goal to provide excellent service and comfortable accommodations and I do understand that a long wait to check in can affect your opinion of our hotel. I can assure you that it is not the norm for such a long wait and that it was due to several large groups staying here as well as the Rodeo event in town. Please let us have another chance when your travels bring you back to Houston. You may contact me direction to discuss parking options as well.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

We came here because of the hotel´s proximity to the medical center.
The location is ok. But the hotel is far from looking new. The elevators wood walls are all scratched, the hallways smell and aren´t finished, the room has a good size, but a very small window. The fitness center is small, the size of one of the hotel rooms.
We even thought that the had put us in the old part of the hotel, until we asked and they told us that the renovations has been finished already.
The worst was the shuttle service...we went to the galleria one day, and in the evening we waited in the cold, with a seek and handicaped person in our group, for over an hour for the shuttle to come, since they didn´t come at time. They told us that we were supposed to ask the driver of every van that came to the galleria if they came from Crowne Plaza, since the van they send, didn´t have a logo on it, or anything to identify it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Hello and thank you for your comments on my hotel. Our goal at my hotel is to provide excellent service and great accommodations. I am sorry that you had to wait for our van at the Galleria. We do have a published schedule but sometimes traffic or other things can cause a delay. Also, we have hotel vans but when we are very busy, we will add vans in order to accommodate our guests' transportation needs. And, our hotel is renovated but we have replaced the wall coverings in the corridors (due to refreshing from Hurricane Ike) and are waiting on the baseboard covers. I know it is unattractive but our hands are tied until they come in. Please do come back and see us again and feel free to call me to ensure that you are in a comfortable room and can get assistance with transportation needs.

Thank you again for letting us know.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2010

Not sure where to begin. The hallway and room smelled like mildew. There was mildew around the tub. The plate glass window was sopping wet from the humidity on the inside. The "fitness center" was a tiny, crowded room. The (paid) garage was strewn with food that had been torn apart by rodents. The front desk clerk (two days in a row) was harried and overwhelmed. The one positive is that it's in a convenient location.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank trulyglobal
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2010

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced. It is certainly not the impression that we want our guests to have. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Houston that you will give us another try and let us show you that we can do better.

Reviewed February 21, 2010

I came here for the weekend to relax and visit with some family members and I stayed at the Crown Plaza and I was blown off my feet because how I was so impressed with everything from the moment I got here to the moment I left. The employees really make you feel at home here. When you come to this hotel ask for Chris at the front desk, he was really nice, professional, helpful and very impressive. I thank each and everyone at the Crown Plaza for making this stay the best stay ever, not only will I make this my home away from home but I will mke sure I tell all my family, friends, and coworkers etc to make it there home away from home also. (LOOK OUT CHRIS I'LL BE SENDING YOU MORE GUESTS). If any one needs a review on a hotel and want to know the best place to stay make sure you stay here if you want to experience the BEST service.THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL HOSPITALITY!!!! Thanks to all of you at the Crown Plaza.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2010

Thank you! Your comments about my hotel are very much appreciated. We work hard to provide great service and a good night's sleep. It is nice to hear that we did just that for you. I have shared your review with Chris and we will look forward to your return.

Best regards,