“The Staff Makes This Hotel Worth The Stay”

Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks
Ranked #77 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed August 1, 2014

There are hotels that are a little long in a tooth, and the staff knows that and doesn't do anything to make up for the perceived shortcomings of a property that isn't in 'mint' condition. This hotel is not one of them. Make no mistake, this hotel is not a spotless gem. In all reality, it needs an additional 10-15 hours a week in cleaning and preventive maintenance across the property. Cleaning behind furniture, cleaning vents, cleaning common area furniture decor and accessories, and cleaning under edges and corners on furniture.

All of that in hindsight, the staff is EXTREMELY responsive to guest needs, and the focus on hospitality and making guests feel welcome, and welcomed from start to finish is so uncommon that I would go back to this property in a minute! The level of service is unmatched at a property this large. Having stayed at hotels ranging from small and family owned, to large corporate properties, this hotel VALUES its guests, their needs, experience, and opinion.

From the Valet staff, to the front desk staff, to the lobby Concierge - this property has what it takes to be a top notch hotel. The need for a comprehensive room remodel is very clear. The furniture is in rough shape, the carpet is worn in places, and the fixtures in the rooms and hallways need to be refreshed.

Remodeled or not, I would stay at this property again! So don't let wear and tear around the edges deter you!

A few points to share:
The pool was a little under the weather during my stay, the unusual amount of rain the Houston area has received this summer has caused the pool to go a little cloudy and green. Having taken care of a pool before, it happens very quickly when the pool takes on a great deal of rain water in a short period of time.

Another point, if you would like to take advantage of the Spa services available onsite, make an appointment with them before you arrive. The owners of the Spa have multiple sites, so every site isn't staffed every day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front on the back of the hotel for a nice skyline view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank admit_it
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Hello admit_it,
Thank you so much for sharing such nice feedback on our hotel and staff. We are an older property but we are constantly making great changes at CPRO. It means so much to us that you took the time to recognize our amazing staff. Sometimes issues may arise and we strive on making sure that our guests stay is the best that it can be. We love making sure our guests leave completely satisfied and I am thrilled to hear that we succeeded with you! We really appreciate your loyalty and look forward to our return!!
Crowne Plaza River Oaks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,651)

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I stay at this hotel on a regular basis and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. Rooms are comfortable and clean although there are elements of the hotel that look a little tired or dated. Does that matter ? not really.
This is a business hotel that helps remove some of the stress and strains of the day from what is a very busy, hectic and full-on town.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Hello Tony R,
Thank you so much for your comments on CPRO! We are honored that you have chosen us as your hotel choice while traveling to Houston. We are an older property but offer a great value and product. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I had a business conference at this hotel and everything was easy and convenient. My room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom (which is important for me) was spotless and clean. I would recommend asking for a room that doesn't face the highway... a little noisy at night. But other than that, it was a great hotel for business travelers. I didn't see a lot of kids or families either.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Hello dpbdmd,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments on your recent stay. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and experienced such a comfortable stay. I know that traveling for business can be exhausting so I am thrilled to hear that our hotel and staff made it so easy for you. We appreciate your review and look forward to your return!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Excellent and enjoyable! !!! Mandy was very helpful. Bartender made great drinks. I wwould recommend this hotel to anyone. The location is very convenient for anyone visiting Houston. It is not far from the Galleria while only 20 minutes from Sugar Land. Comfortable beds and a great restaurant only add to the experience.

• Stayed: July 2014

Helo Tory3611,
Thank you so much for your fantastic review! It is so great to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience with us! We are glad that the staff, hotel and location were all above and beyond your expectations. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your return!
Best Regards

Reviewed July 26, 2014

This is my second time staying at this hotel while in Houston. This hotel is very classy and clean and roomy. The breakfast buffet is very delicious with cook to order Omelets, Pancakes and Waffles. They have several amenities onsite and in a good location close to several restaurants and shopping centers. I recommend this to everyone that visiting Houston. You will have to pay for parking each day but its worth it with the treatment you receive from the staff. Very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Hello Rolfefam,
Thank you so much for your review and recommendation! It's nice to hear that you love our hotel, staff and amenities! I will be glad to pass on your compliments to the chef and the rest of our staff. We are honored that you stay with us and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Once again we are back at this hotel because my husband has treatment every 3 months at Md Anderson. This is our one and only hotel choice in this city. When we arrive Miss Sammie comes out to greet us and makes sure my husband has everything he needs. Mandy is great. She always does an awesome job at finding us discounts at restaurants and the places she sends us to always treat us so well. We love coming on Wedesdays so we can attend the reception. We love this place and will be back very soon!
Melissa & Jimmy McCoy

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MelissaandJimmy

Hello MelissaandJimmy,
Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing such great comments on our hotel and staff!! Sammie & Mandy do a great job at making our guests feel welcome. I will be glad to pass on your gracious comments to them. We look forward to seeing you guys every 3 months and it is our pleasure to assist you !!

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I moved out of my pent house in the museum area and have made Crowne Plaza River oaks my new home! I have been living here for 6 weeks and I love everyday of it! Living alone can be loneley but the staff here are so outgoing and happy that they make my days brighter. This is something money cant buy! The restaurant is fabulous and the amenties are great! The concierge, Mandy is so sweet and checks on my everyday. I really feel like they are family and look forward to the rest of my stay....and I'm not leaving anytime soon! I highly recomend this place and please come meet Mandy. She will make sure your stay is the best it can be.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Hello Barbara A,
Wow!! Thank you so much for writing such an amazing review! We are honored that you have chosen CPRO as your new home!! I am thrilled to hear that our staff takes such great care of yo that you don't want to leave!! It is our pleasure to assist you and we really enjoy having you here.