“Good and Comfortable”

Ranked #71 of 516 Hotels in Houston
Brisbane, Australia
“Good and Comfortable”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Visited here from Australia. Not sure what to expect. Great hotel, friendly staff and nice room. The hotel itself is a little older but what it lacked in age it made up for in the room layout. We stayed on level 6. Rooms were spacious and large which was great. The hotel had daily shuttles to the galleria every 15mins. I advise you will need your own vehicle to explore the rest of Houston especially from this hotel as the location in not accessible by public transportation. I definitely recommend this hotel to other........

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Hello Daniel W,
Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay! It's nice to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, location and amenities. We do have an older property but we are constantly updating our hotel to compete will all the other hotels around. I am glad to hear that you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle. Our shuttle that goes to the medical center and galleria is on a set schedule. We also have a shuttle available that takes guests within a 3 mile radius to our hotel. Houston is a huge city so I definitely recommend a vehicle if you would like to explore the city.
Safe Travels,
Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel about once or twice a month. They always go out of their way to take care of me. I think their reception and concierge (mandy) were second to none. The bartender is great & the steak & fries are a great deal. I will Definitely be coming back and I recommend this hotel to others.
..........

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Hello Hrhtarik,
Thank you for your review! It's nice to hear that you stay with us so often and that you attend our weekly receptions! The reception is a great place to relax, eat & drink & meet new people. I know that Mandy will be thrilled to hear that she was mentioned for her hard work. We appreciate your review and recommendation. We look forward to your return!
League City, Texas
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza River Oaks and were very pleased with the hotel, the staff, and the amenities. The location is ideal for those wishing to shop at the Galleria, or surrounding retail areas. It's close proximity to Highway 59 allows visitors to shop the Rice Village area as well. There are countless excellent restaurants nearby within 5 minutes drive, too many to list! For anyone wishing to stay in a very reasonably priced hotel for a weekend of dining and shopping, you won't find another hotel like this one.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hello Cindy G,
Wow!! Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We greatly appreciate your feedback and your kind words about our property. It is so great to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience and that our hotel more than exceeded your expectations. I am glad that we can offer a great stay and value. Once again we appreciate your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Until then, take care and safe travels!
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stay at this Hotel a lot because it is very close to the gallery I show my work at. The Staff is extremely helpful, even when I am stressed. They have a great shuttle service that can drop you off or pick you up in the nearby neighborhood…it is very convenient. The Concierge is fantastic…her name is Mandy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hello Bob I,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay. I am thrilled to hear that you love our hotel, staff & location! It's nice that your gallery is near the hotel and that you take advantage of our complimentary shuttle. I will pass on your gracious comments to Mandy and the rest of our staff. We look forward to taking care of you the next time you are in town.
Saint Paul
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This CP is located in a unique place; within two miles on either side, you have Rice Village, the Galleria, Montrose and Rice University. There are few hotels in the area that are this well located; the Crowne Plaza's location next to 59 is fantastic and makes it easy to zip in and out. The staff were very friendly during my stay (as they are at most places in Houston) and gave me a helpful explanation as to how to work their parking garage gate. The room itself was clean with a good view, although the furnishings were not really new and seemed a little faded. The bed itself was comfortable, although the door jams of each room come with metal plates that clack loudly every time someone closes the door down the hall. This can keep you up if you like to nap, although I did not hear this at night after I went to bed. The only thing I did not like about the hotel was the sorry state of the parking garage; the stairwell seemed old and dirty, and it was difficult to maneuver if a lot of cars were parked in the same area. That said, it seemed easy to get in and out with my room key, so it was not that inconvenient. Overall, I had a great stay at this hotel and will likely book again in the future, if only because of its convenient location and friendly service.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room on a high floor. This will allow you to avoid some of the highway noise, al...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank stp0707
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Hellp stp0707,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice detailed review on our hotel. I see that you are a senior reviewer so I know that you travel often. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, location and staff! We are an older hotel so we are constantly updating our property. We are in the process of updating our garage and we started with our state of the art parking machine. I am glad to hear that the in and out key service was convenient for you. We appreciate your review and we are glad to hear that you will be returning.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 30, 2013

the hotel is a 4 star with the exception of the bedding. the staff are top of the line very pleasant and friendly. the location is excellent near restaurants, shopping , and the galleria. the rooms very big and nice bathrooms. the only needed improvement is the bedding. we travel so are familiar and get a feeling for a 3 to a 5 star hotel. the bedding is a 3.5 quality but the rest of the hotel is a 4 star. the small fridge and the microwave that is included is a very nice touch and makes the hotel great for an extended stay. the $15 for valet parking is the cheapest were others are $18 to $25 per night in this area. I would recommend this hotel its vey clean.

Room Tip: rooms with king bed also have sofa and desks and seem very big.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Hello RBLIBERTYTAX,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. I can tell from your review that you are a seasoned traveler. It's nice to hear that you loved our hotel and staff. I do apologize that the sheets did not meet your expectations. I will pass on your comments to the Director of Housekeeping so we can look into upgrading them. It is so great that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that the next time you stay with us that we will earn 5 stars!
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza River Oaks for a number of years, going back to when it was the Holiday Inn at Greenway Plaza. With the name change came room renovations that have made it nicer and more comfortable than it was. If truth be told, it is not really near the tony neighborhood of River Oaks, but it is such a good hotel that I am willing to overlook this slight exaggeration. .

The location is near some good restaurants on Kirby, and not all that far from Westheimer where there are many more.

Our room was kept impeccably clean during the week we stayed there, and all the employees we encountered were exceptionally pleasant and welcoming. I must cite especially Roxanne B. at the front desk who efficiently handled my rather complex reservation which included nights with and without reward points, which mean that I had to check in and out and in again.Every morning when I passed the front desk she greeted me by name.

I will certainly continue to stay here on my trips to Houston.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hello Joel F,
Thank you so much for writing such a raving review!! It is nice to hear that you had such a great stay and the our entire staff helped contribute to it. Roxanne does an amazing job and I know she will be thrilled to hear that she was mentioned for her hard work! I love hearing that you have been staying with us for years and we are honored that you continue to stay with us when you travel to Houston. I also love that you are an IHG rewards member! Thank you so much for your loyalty and we hope to see you very soon!
Best Regards,