“Hotel treats us like family”

Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks
Ranked #71 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Hotel treats us like family”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

More hotels need staff like Megan Brock. Megan cares about her guest and making sure their needs are met. My husband is a patient at MD Anderson and we are there every 6 weeks. At 1st we tried different hotels to find not only comfort and convenient but a reasonable price. I stumbled onto Crowne Plaza and a very friendly voice. We will return here every time and know we are also in a great location for restaurants and shopping. We valet parked and on some days left the hotel 4 times and each tie the attendants were cheerful and accommodating to have our car ready to go. On our last visit Megan surprised us with a free upgrade to a suite. Since our visits are not for enjoyment little things can make everything feel better. The little things that can arise in any hotel, even 5 Diamond, could not have been taken care of any faster or with a nicer staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cmars
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hello cmars,
Thank you so much for such a raving review!! I am thrilled to hear that you feel at home at CPRO! I know that traveling for medical reasons can be difficult so I am so glad that our hotel and Megan are able to make your traveling as easy as possible! Our biggest asset is our staff and I am happy to hear that we have won you over with our incredible service. We look forward to having you back in another 6 weeks!!
Safe Travels,
Debbie Hollier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week to attend a conference. Good location. Parking is not included in the hotel price. We were not aware. Be prepared to pay $8-$9. After we stayed in a room for couple of days toilet was not working. Have to shift to different room fortunately same floor. We ordered a bottled water from room service they chared $6 for a small water bottle (rip off!). After few days we came to know there was a vending machine on the same floor which had water too (lesson learnt). Lobby is very good. But rooms are moderate. Not sure whether want to stay again. Concierge lady was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013
Hello Ajayashreeg,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. I am happy to hear that your stay here was good and that our location works well for your traveling needs. I am sorry that you were surprised by our room service prices. It is standard at every hotel to have a delivery charge and a gratuity to every room service order. There are vending machines on every floor and I was disappointed to hear that you were not aware. I hope that the next time you are in town you will give us another try and hopefully we will earn 5 stars!
Take Care,
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I love this place! I was visiting houston with my kids and mother for a weekend getaway. I met Mandy and was telling her about all of the horrible damage from the recent tornado. She looked up movie times and then pulled out 2 free movie tickets and gave them to me because she wanted to save me money because of all of that I have been through. Se was so sweet and so was the rest of the staff. They made my family feel at home and I will stay there again next time I'm in town.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hello Keesha D,
Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing such a nice story! I am thrilled to hear that Mandy took such great care of you and your family on your recent trip to Houston. I am so sorry to hear that you were effected by the recent tornado. It's nice to have time with family and I am glad to hear that we helped you have a fun family getaway! We look forward to your return!
Best Regards,
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am so wonderfully please with my stay in June at this hotel. They have got everything you can imagine covered and presented me with one of the best experiences I have ever had.

I booked my stay with a third party and they still treated me with dignity and respect. I requested a king just as a request and received an upgrade when no single king rooms were available. There was a beautiful wedding taking place so parking was challenging, as understandable as they were they comped my parking for the inconvenience. It continued to be a plesent experience even when the shower drain had an issue they were most accommodating and completely sympathetic.

Their accommodations invite the guest to relax and unwind with the simple touches they add. I love the in house body scrub they offer, it is a smart classy touch. I hope to stay here continually when I need a friendly, honorable place to stay. The Hilton has squat on them nor does the Royal Sonesta which I have stayed at both with disappointment in their customer service and accommodations. At the Crowne Plaza you could tell the staff took pride in their job and honored their work environment by expressing great personable service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Hello Carina B,
Thank you so much for such an incredible review! I honestly couldn't have been more pleased to read about your wonderful experience while staying at our hotel! Our guests are an extension of our family and we really make sure everyone is treated with the most genuine hospitality. I am so happy that you really felt at home here! We would love to have you back the next time your travels bring you to Houston. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a great review!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at this location for one night after arriving in Houston late in
the night and needing to be at work early in the morning. While the rooms
are somewhat dated, the hotel is a solid performer for the price point.

We arrived around midnight. We know the area well, therefore the hotel was
easy to find. They recognized our Priority Club Platinum Status, and had
already upgraded us to a nice two room suite on a high floor which was
appreciated. They also offered us one snack item. (I still think if they are
going to offer, and there are two people in the room...offer for two or
none.)

Our corporate rate included breakfast for one person, but they kindly
provided us vouchers for both of us. That being said, I did have to request
the vouchers, as they did not have them in our prepared packet.

The location is right on the highway, and you do experience some traffic
noise, even on the high floors. Rooms on the back of the hotel may be
quieter.

While we did not use the gym, they have a small but decently appointed gym
on the second floor. There is small outdoor pool tucked in between several
building walls. Looks like it would be shady most of the day.

The hotel offers free internet, but it was extremely slow.

The rooms nicely decorated, and comfortable but nothing fancy...slightly
outdated. The A/C system looked very old...vertical wall unit with 70's
looking dials and switches. It kept the room cool overnight but really
struggled during the day. You could leave the blower motor on for white
noise which is always nice. Since we were upgraded to a two room suite, I
can not vouch for what the amenities of the standard rooms are. There were a
sufficient number of plugs in the room, but they appeared rather scary,
broken plugs, sockets falling out of the wall, etc. Really need to be
replaced for safety, or at least the appearance of safety. The bed was
comfortable. The curtains did a nice job of blocking out the light.
Everything was very clean.

The bathrooms are acceptable and have the appropriate amenities but had an
odd drop ceiling, and lacked sufficient light.

There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel, but other than for breakfast we
did not check it out since we there for such a short stay. The breakfast
buffet was nice, but the service from the wait staff was lacking. If you are
paying full charges, there are less expensive and more creative options around.

There is a fee for parking, which seems odd given the semi-suburban
location, but it was included in my corporate rate so I had no worry about
that.

When we settled in for the short night, we called down at 12:30am for a 5:05
am wakeup call. We also set the alarm on my Blackberry. Unfortunately, the
charge on the Blackberry failed (I think the loose plug on the wall did not
connect the AC well) so that did not go off, and the hotel wake up call
never happened. About 6:15 am we woke up to realize we were going to be late
to work. To the hotel's credit, when I called down and mentioned that, they
credited the night’s stay. Crowne Plaza has a wake up call Guarantee, and I
was impressed that they honored that without anything more than me calling
down and mentioning the failure...I think they did check the computer
though.

All in all, the hotel is a solid performer and really did everything they
could to take care of the issue that arose. We would stay again if the need
arose.

That being said, I am basing this review on my discounted corporate rate.
If I was paying the full price they asked for, there are other options in the
area that will likely perform better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hello pcsanity,
Thank you for taking the time to share your story. I am sure the TA readers will appreciate such a detailed review. I am happy to hear that you were upgraded and we appreciate you being a Platinum Priority Club member! I apologize about the minor issues that you had regarding the wall outlets. I have sent you a private message to get your room information so I can investigate them and have them fixed immediately. I was a little confused by your review because you had many pros but we only received 3 stars. I hope that next time you stay with us we will earn 5 stars!
Best Regards,
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed June 30, 2013

great hotel in a great location. friendly staff. very good food in lobby. nice rooms with great showers.right off the high way. close to reliant field and houston galleria. parking in garage with easy out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hello theswamp6,
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! I am absolutely thrilled that you loved our hotel! I am glad so many aspects of our hotel were convenient and accommodating to you! I am very pleased that our staff was helpful to you as well! Please come back and stay with us anytime your travels bring you this way!
Rising Sun, Maryland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel staff was great, Susie Bull helped us with all our needs, she was excellent Sebastion was great he moved our luggage twiced and never complained ,had a great attitude. The bar staff was excellent thanks to Carlos. The shuttle service was excellent also,Julio took use to different places and was very efficent.The dining and room service was outstanding thanks to the staff ,Thanks Jorge. I would recommend this place and will stay there again when I am in Houston. Adam at the front desk and the other staff was a great help.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hello Melvin1950,
Wow! Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review! I am so happy that you had such a great stay at our hotel and found our staff to be so friendly and helpful! I will make sure that everyone you mentioned knows how excellent their services were! Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to your stay with us the next time you are in Houston!