“Great experience”

Ranked #71 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Austin, Tx
“Great experience”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

If I could, I would give this a 4.5. 4 seems a little too low but 5 is overshooting it.

The pros: clean room, beautiful lobby, excellent shuttle service to/from Medical Center, friendly & caring staff. If I could isolate any things that made my trip great, one would be Magdalena - room service attendant and the various shuttle drivers who went out of their way to help loading & unloading passengers that had difficulty.

The cons: this may seem petty to some but gets under my skin. When checking in the two young women behind the desk were speaking Spanish back & forth to each other. When talking to me, English. It makes me wonder what had to be said in my presence so that I could not understand them. There are a few small signs of the hotels age here & there. It certainly is not enough to be concerned about but I was a little surprised this brand/chain let it show.

Other misc info: there is a pool, a spa that is a separate business but on the premises, fitness room looks well done. There is also a little gift shop that sells gifts but also some toiletries, snacks, etc. each morning a newspaper is waiting for you right outside your door. There is coffee maker, & supplies, microwave, mini-fridge, hair dryer, magnifying mirror & one of those curved shower curtain rod so you don't feel cramped in the shower.

All in all, it was a great place to stay. It's also very easy to get to. I would recommend it to any friends or family.

Room Tip: Parking & breakfast are not included so be sure to factor those costs into your travel budget
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Christine L
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Hello Christine L,
I want to sincerely thank you for writing such a detailed and honest review! I am very pleased to see that you had a very pleasant experience with us and that many aspects of our hotel were accommodating to you! Thank you for personally mentioning Magdalena, she is a wonderful asset to our hotel and I will certainly pass on your gracious comments to her! We are also very blessed with an outstanding valet service and it makes me so happy that you found them to be so helpful! Thank you for bringing up the issue that you faced while checking in. I understand it can feel uncomfortable when others are speaking in another language in front of you, that you don't understand, when there doesn't seem to be a purpose for such a shift when everyone involved was speaking English to begin with! I have addressed this issue and can assure you that there will not be another incident like this in the future. Thank you again for such a wonderful review, and we look forward to your next visit!
Debbie Hollier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Excellent hotel!!!!!! The best part of My stay here was the incredible concierge Susie!!! Everyone was great, but she Really took care of me, she went above and beyond!! I Will be back and tell Everyone to do the same!!!!!!! Ana María was so sweet and did a stellar Job at Check in!!!! Love this place!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Hello Grit334,
Wow, what an enthusiastic and wonderful review! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay; it looks like Susie really took very good care of you! Thank you for personally mentioning Susie and Anna Maria, I will certainly pass on your kind words to them! Excellence is our standard and I am thrilled that you felt like you are as important to us as you truly are! Please visit us again the next time your travels bring you this way!
Best Wishes.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stay in hotels at least two nights a week and sometimes up to five nights a week. I do my best to stay at a hotel associated with the Intercontinental Hotel Group so I can acquire points for vacation travel. This particular trip I was fortunate enough to book a room at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks. I have stayed at Crowne Plazas all over the USA and have never received the level of hospitality I have received here. Everyone here has done their best to make sure I am comfortable. The valet staff does an awesome job and Susie Bull goes out out of her way to make sure your stay feels like you are staying with friends. The hotel is convenient to downtown without the congestion of being downtown and has several restaurants within walking distance. If walking is not your thing than you can eat at the restaurant located in the hotel. I recommend the American Club. The outdoor pool is perfect for the wretched heat that is pouring down on Texas right now or you also have the ability to end your work day and bury your toes in the sands of Galveston within an hour of the hotel. I ended my day by driving to NASA since I had never seen it and it was too close to pass up. I will certainly make this my hotel of choice when doing business or pleasure in the Houston area.

PMay

• Stayed June 2013
Hello Pmay33,
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! I am so glad that you were able to experience our River Oaks location and thoroughly enjoyed your entire stay! Our staff works very hard to provide our guests with exceptional customer service and I couldn't be more happy that you received such a high level of hospitality! Thank you for personally mentioning Susie, I will make sure to pass on your gracious comments to her as well as our valet staff! It is so wonderful that our hotel is so convenient to so many attractions and I am so glad that you were able to take advantage of such a perk! I hope we have the opportunity to have you as a guest again!
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

PROS: The location was very convenient, and in close proximity to my client at the Greenway Plaza. The breakfast is decent and the breakfast staff VERY friendly and accommodating.
CONS: Throughout the stay and after, with the exception of maybe 1-2 times, I found various front desk workers to be some combination of rude, unaccommodating, placing me on hold and forgetting me there, forgetting to follow-through on calling up the bellboy, and lacking in common courtesies. Sometimes, I got the snappy tone of someone who sounded overwhelmed/tired. On the other hand, the front desk manager was very friendly and courteous.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chidinma O
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hello Chidinma O,
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments. I happy to read that our location works well for your traveling needs. I am very disappointed that you were not pleased with the attitude of some front desk employees. I sincerely apologize for that and I will investigate your complaints. We strive to make sure all of our guests leave completely satisfied and I am so sorry to read that yo did not. I hope that you will give us another chance the next time your travels brings you to Houston.
Take Care,
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The staff was very helpful. The room was very clean. I orded room service, the food arrived on time and was very good. This hotel I would say is the cleanest I'v been in a long time. I travel 3x a week average fir business so that should say something,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello Brandie D,
Thank you for such a wonderful review! I am so pleased to hear that you really enjoyed our hotel! Cleanliness is extremely important and I am thrilled that you felt as though we met your standards! Thank you for mentioning the prompt room service and how delicious it was! Your comments are very valuable to us and I will pass on your kind words to our room service department!
We hope you come back as our guest again soon!
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We live in the suburbs of Houston and wanted a place to stay while we had a night out in the city. Had a great overnight getaway. The bathrooms are clean and stocked with nice toiletries. Perfect location!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Tonya B,
Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza River Oaks for your overnight getaway! I am so thrilled that everything went so well for you, and furthermore, that you took the time to write such a great review about it! We always make sure our guests are completely satisfied with their rooms and amenities and it pleases me so much to know you were taken care of! Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to your next "getaway" with us!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have spent the weekend at the Crowne Plaza River Oaks on several occasions and have always had a great experieince. The rooms are always clean and the staff is attentive to any needs that are requested. Glenn Fuller, the Guest Services Representative, recognizes me and greets me by name whenever my girlfriend and I arrive and always makes sure we get the accomodations that we desire. I would recommend the hotel to anyone for the great service and the convenient location.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views at night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Carlton L,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! I am so glad that you have stayed with us several times and have seemed to really love each visit! Thank you for personally mentioning Glenn; he works very hard to take excellent care of our guests and I will make sure your kind words are brought to his attention! I also want to thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends! We truly look forward to your next visit when your travels bring you this way!
Best wishes,