“A newly wed....”

Ranked #72 of 507 Hotels in Houston
Pasadena, Texas, United States
“A newly wed....”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was visiting the Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks on my honeymoon. My newly wed husband, Michael, and I, Nina. Checked in late Saturday April 20th, 2013. I was still in my wedding dress and my husband still in his suit. Everyone welcomed us with smiles and happy congradulations. The deck clerk was very friendly and sweet. I believe her name was Gwen. The manger on duty/Concierge was very, very helpful and gave us a ton of information on the city. We had Houston City Pass and she gave us many helpful tips and a lot of great ideas. Everyone at the Crowne Plaze were great!! Thank you for a very enjoyable honeymoon!!
Nina, the Newly-wed, Kirk
:) :) :) :)

Room Tip: Everything and everyone was great!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
dhollier, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hi Nina W,
What a sweet review!! Thank you for sharing your story with us!! Thank you for allowing us to host your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks. We enjoyed having you as our guests. Your satisfaction, feedback and business are very important to us. On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to seeing you in the near future. Congratulations on your Wedding!
Sid Siddiqi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is my first negative review ever on Trip Advisor. The rooms were OK, decent size, moderately clean. WiFi was awful, I spent hours in the hallway to work my email, because my room didn't have good reception. I spent an hour on two tech support calls to try and resolve the WiFi issue, and ended up with 'your iPad doesn't have a good WiFi radio' as the solution. The breakfast is overpriced - continental buffet was fruit and cereal, no granola just three sugar loaded options, and you want juice? That costs extra. After a limp croissant and some melon, they charged me for the hot buffet and I had to have them correct the bill. The local area has no restaurants or other services within walking distance, and the freeway noise is quite noticeable, even on the 13th floor. The parking garage smelled like old vomit, that is after I walked through the stench of the employee smoking area to access the garage. All this would be tolerable for $100 per night, but for $300 a night I expect a little (or a lot) better.

1 Thank Living_at_the_beach
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hello Living at the beach,
Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to read of the complaints you had with the recent stay. I do have good news to report... Last week we upgraded our internet system so we no longer have internet problems. I am so sorry for the inconvenience that you faced. I was surprised to hear your complaint on the breakfast because our guests usually love it. Our hotel is surrounded by tons of great restaurants so I am sorry that you were not aware of them. Also, we do not have an employee smoking area so I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I hope that next time you are in Houston you give us another chance so we can make sure your stay is the best that it can be.
Take Care,
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had a not-so-good experience previously at this hotel and Mandy, the concierge manager, invited us to give them another try. I'm so glad we did. She greeted us very kindly at the door and made sure that our experience was top-notch. No detail was overlooked, including cookies! We stayed in a king suite located on the 12th floor that had two wonderful views. The room was VERY spacious, which worked out well with our three year old son. He had his own room and TV. His room had a sleeper sofa, which was really nice because it gave him lots of space to run around the next day after he woke up. We also had the breakfast buffet in the attached restaurant. The food was delicious, and the buffet contained everything you can imagine you would want to eat for breakfast. Mandy even followed up with a personal email to make sure our experience was wonderful. I've never been treated that kindly at a hotel! I would recommend this hotel to any travelers in Houston, as I know we will be returning!

Hello kristeninrr,

Thank you so very much for your nice review of our property and thank you for sharing your story with us!! We greatly appreciate your business, We are glad that the Crowne Plaza River-Oaks is now your preferred hotel in Houston. Thanks especially for recognizing Mandi's job, It made her day. Take care.
San Donato Milanese, Italy
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for business trip, and I choosed this hotel on the basis of the many positive reviews read here.
I regret to say that the hotel is totally inadequate for the prices it charges and also the worst thing is that it is really DIRTY.
in the rooms, the bathroom and the room furnishings were very old and the carpet in the room is dirty, with stains and also with objects (coins, things not identified) on the ground: this makes you realize how they are clean.
Furthermore, the mini-bar in the room does not exist, there is a fridge but it is empty.
there are no complementary stuff, like bathrobe and slippers. the first night i calle dthe reception to have a blancket (the room was very cold) and I had to call twice because nobody was coming to give me a blanchet.
regarding the breakfast, I asked for hot milk, they didn't have it, only cold milk.

In short, you expect a much better service from an hotel with a price of 200$ per night.
Finally, on a sofa in the lobby there was a ball of hair, I mentioned this to reception, and after 3 days when I checked out, the ball of hair was still there!
in short, carefully avoided this hotel, I think that a motel is more clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank eleonorina82
Hello eleonorina82

First and foremost, thank you for allowing us to host your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks. We enjoyed having you as our guests. Your satisfaction, feedback and business are very important to us.

I am very sorry you were disappointed in your stay with us. It is our goal to make sure you have the most exceptional guest experience possible. As the General Manager here, I would like to personally apologize for the cleanliness and conditional issues you encountered while a guest of ours. We are working very hard on making the necessary improvements with management in the hotel. I assure you that what you encountered is far below our Crowne Plaza standards, unacceptable and I am truly sorry and disappointed for what you experienced. This feedback has been addressed with our management team to ensure that this does not happen again to any of our valuable guests. We would love to have you back. I hope that you will someday give us another chance.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I got this booking last thursday night (april 17, 2013) for just a 1 room night stay, and i booked this hotel online through priceline.com. It was 1030am of April 19 when we checked out with my son. I was asking for my receipt and the lady which i didn't get the name from the front desk said that they cannot provide me a receipt since I booked through priceline, but when i asked for the receipt for my parking, she said yes, she can provide it, but while waiting, she was standing infront of the printing machine and for what reason I don't know but I didn't hear the machine was printing and she said, sorry, she wouldn't be able to print me the receipt of $9.00 for the parking fee. and she said, don't worry ma'am it's just the parking fee that we charged you for $9.00 because she said the booking was paid through priceline and I said "Ok" and left the hotel way back to my state which is 5hrs drive. when i get home at 6pm, I checked my credit card, and I saw that there was a charged of $50.00 description of holiday inn, I was so confused so I called the crowne plaza hotel in houston and asked if they are somehow connected with holliday inn which i told the front line who answered me that I was charged $50.00 instead of just $9.00 of parking and she seems so rude that I was not even finish with what I'm trying to say, and she just suddenly say you need to talk to the accounting dept, so she transferred me, and she never even bother to tell me that it was already past 6pm that time. So i was so frustrated that nothing happened to my case. As soon as I hung up I called my chase bank customer svc and they said that I was over charged, and they made a dispute for me. For those of us who always travel, please make sure to check your acct. they just overcharged me...for me that is not fair at all. Adding the fact that staff are not friendly and not very helpful, their shower room floods when you use the shower, the pool is too close to the lobby of the elevator and it is dirty and small

1 Thank cezeal
dhollier, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the misunderstanding but you were not overcharged. Like all hotels, we authorize the credit card on file for $50 for incidentals. Since you only spent $9 on parking...the $41 will be credited back to your card within a day or two. I am so sorry for the inconvenience and the misunderstanding. I have sent you a private message to discuss this further. I hope to hear back from you.
Best Regards,
Mandy Bates
Frankenmuth
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a day or two for two weeks in a row during recent business trips to the area. The first week, the room wasn't so bad. Everything worked. The windows faced the highway, but the noise was more like white noise in the background and wasn't too bothersome. The second week, the room needed a bit of help. The shower drain was very slow, the internet faded in and out, and the road noise seemed a bit more prominent. Not sure if the noise seemed louder because of the floor I was on, or whether the weather (rainy) made the difference. Either way, both weeks the room and hotel itself was very clean. And, despite the room inadequacies, the staff was terrific for both stays. The housekeepers always said hello and had smiles on their faces when you saw them in the hall. The front desk was efficient and helpful, the valet and shuttle bus staff were prompt, and the concierge had discounts for almost every restaurant in the area. They made my stay very enjoyable, making me feel like a friend. So, while this would never be my top hotel to stay in because of the rooms, the staff will make me consider it always.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the highway for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hello Cali83,
Thank you for your review! It's nice to hear that you love our location, staff & services! Most travelers love that our hotel is so close to the freeway and has fast access to the freeway. I am sorry that your room was a little noisy on your last visit. The higher the floor the lass traffic that you will hear. I am thrilled to hear that you feel our staff is top notch! It will my pleasure to pass your gracious comments to them. We look forward to taking care of you again soon!!
Safe Travels,
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Who stays in a hotel in the same city they live in? THIS guy! After putting up an out of town guest for a weekend, they raved so much, I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. Now it's my favorite stay-cation spot! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a centrally located hotel in Houston. Great rooms. Great views. Great people. When, not if, you go, say hello to Mandy (concierge) for me! She's the best and just another reason Crowne Plaza River Oaks is where you should stay when you're in Houston.

• Stayed April 2013
Hello general_000,
Wow!! Reviews don't get any better than yours...Thank you!! We are honored that you chose CPRO for your out of town guests and thrilled to hear that you love us as well! It's great to hear that you love our hotel, staff & services!! I will pass on your regards to Mandy and we hope to see you again on your next stay-cation! Thank you for your review and recommendation!
Take Care,