“Ideal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Ideal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I rented a suite at this location for my daughter's 17th birthday. The location for the youth was ideal from all directions in Houston. They enjoyed the pool and spacious suite for their teenaged entertainment. They told me that breakfast was scrumptious. Many of the parents shared that the hotel was a class act location for safely traveling to the mall and other retail stores. Thanks Jon Coleman of Crown Plaza for all of your support! I share your name with many of the parents and youth.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Hello Bull Angus G,
I am glad to hear that your daughter's 17th birthday party was a success!! We are very lucky that our hotel is in such a great area and location. I am pleased to hear that it was ideal for your party and to hear that the kids enjoyed the pool & breakfast buffet! I will pass on your kind words to Jon Coleman. We hope we can take great care of you again soon!
Respectfully,
Debbie Hollier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

The Jack Yates High School Class of 1962 held its 50th class reunion at the Crowne Plaza River Oaks Hotel from June 21-24, 2012. It was a FANTASTIC reunion. Our classmates enjoyed every minute of all events. The hotel sales and catering staff were great from our first meeting and continue to be - even now - two weeks after our event. Dimples Boettcher, Sales Manager was our first contact in December 2011 and helped us put our reunion plans in motion. After Dimples, I began interacting primarily with Jeana Auger, the catering manager (menus/finalizing plans) and Kieth Parks, Meetings Director (booking guests rooms) but Dimples was always available too. They were all so knowledge, understanding and easily to work with. We communicated a lot through emails and every message sent by me was promptly responded to. Once our activities began on 6/21, I started interacting with the very cooperative and friendly banquet staff - from table linens in the hospitality room; to special meal selections of guest; table decorations in the banquet room, etc. The front desk staff was also very friendly and most helpful whenever any guests had questions or needed assistance. I had a concern about a classmate who came to one function but missed the next two, so the front desk did an immediate room wellness check to make sure everything was okay. Our guests were satisfied with all aspects of the reunion including the hotel selection/ballroom; their room accomodations in the hotel; the quality of service from hotel personnel; parking; menu selections at our dressy banquet and buffet casual dance. On behalf of my classmates, thanks again to all of you - sales, catering, banquet, front desk, concierge, housekeeping and lost/found (Carmen) personnel for helping to make our reunion a memorable occasion for our 150+ guests. The Crowne Plaza River Oaks will definitely be on my list of recommended venues for special events as well as a great place to stay for out-of-town relatives and friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jcharj105
Hello Jcharj105,
Your review gave me chills! I am so happy that you and the rest of the Jack Yates class of 1962 had such a great time. I know that our staff really enjoyed working with you and the rest of your classmates. Ya'll had so many great events and all I can say is.... ya'll know how to party! Everyone was so easy going and excited to be hear that it made our jobs so easy! Thank you for your review & any future referrals that you send our way!!
Cheers,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Basically anything you need, and then more!
Everyday the staff here go out of their way to make my stay better.
Recommendations about restaurants and bars as well as concerts, while I am in Houston.
Ask for Tara, Mandy,Claudia, Ivete or Angie and you won't be disapointed.

Dr. D. Harel

Room Tip: Tell the reception if you would like to see the sunrise or sunset ;-)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Hello Daviddoctor,
Thank you for your review! I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on our hotel & staff. I am thrilled that our staff takes such great care of you & that you attend the receptions! I will pass on your kind words to all of the staff that you recognized for their hardwork. Have a great day!
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

We had a family member who was having long-term medical treatment in Houston’s medical center, so we spent many nights over several months at the Crowne Plaza River Oaks. As you may know, long-term medical treatment can be extremely wearing especially when the health problem is life-threatening, and for us the Crowne Plaze was our refuge from the storm providing us a place of peace and tranquility during our many stressful days.

The people who help me at a hotel are usually what make the difference for me between a good stay and a great stay, and this was our experience at the Crowne Plaza. The staff in general were outstanding and two of them were especially exceptional from beginning to end - They are Debbie Hollier, the Director of Sales and Marketing, and Mandy Bates, the Concierge. They took such wonderful care of us, addressing our every need, and were always there to brighten our days with a smile and kind voice. There were many others that I should also mention as they are all part of the finely-tuned orchestra that helped us on a daily basis – Freida Bell; and at the front desk were Roxanne, Shaila, Tara, Jackie, Chris, Marcella, and Anna Maria; and the operator, Sammy.

The hotel itself is also quite impressive. The lobby is well-decorated. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and the suites are spacious with a 2-room layout. They have a cocktail lounge and restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And they have a parking garage providing cover from the rain, and shade from the sometimes intense Houston sun. They truly have everything you need.

I strongly recommend the Crowne Plaza River Oaks for any length of stay, and I would especially recommend them for a long-term stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hello TZS,
Wow! What an amazing review! It warms my heart to know that our staff made your stay the best it could be. It was my pleasure taking care of you during your long term stay & I know the other staff members feel the same. We have many long term guests and it is great to get to know everyone and see them get well day by day. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and sharing your story! I am sure the rest of the TA readers appreciate it. We look forward to your return!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Had yet another great stay at the Crowne Plaza River Oaks. Mandy the concierge sent us over to Lupo Tortilla for dinner and we were given free appetizers and had a great meal. Afterwards we went up to the managers reception for free drinks which they do every Wednesday.
Very friendly customer service and grew rooms and accommodations. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Hello av8roc,
I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you recieved excellent customer service! Mandy has great suggestions and I am glad you had a chance to go to Lupe Tortillas. I love that place!!! I am happy to hear that you had a chance to attend the welcome reception...It is always a great time! We look forward to your return!
Safe Travels,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Business brought me to Houston so I stayed at the Crowne Plaza River Oaks hotel and received fairly good service. The check-in and check-out process was efficient. The room that I was assigned to was on the 18th floor so there was no noise at all from the adjacent freeway. It was a nice large room with a very comfortable king size bed. It had a small fridge and a microwave oven. The bathroom was clean and nice size. The only thing that I found odd was that I had to close the bathroom door to get to the closet. Great radio (without static). Most other hotels have tiny, cheap little radios but this one was nice with an ipod doc and used it to tune into a great local station since I like to unwind with music after a long day. The restaurant offers a good priced continental or full buffet breakfast with quick service. Location was great since there are several restaurants nearby. The museum district and jazzier eateries are only three miles away. I would recommend this hotel for business as it gives good value for its location and the employees are very knowledgeable and friendly. Parking is also a good value with self-parking in the connecting garage being only $8.00 per day.

Room Tip: Rooms on high floors are quiet with nice views of city.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hello isaw176,
Thank you so much for taking time to share your detailed comments! I am thrilled that you loved our location, staff & services. I love hearing from satisfied guests and its great to know that our quality of rooms & services met your expectations. We look forward to your return & thank you in advance for any referrals that you send our way!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I did appreciate the checkin service it was very quick and professional. The concierge - Mandy was unbelievable, she was very informative and reminded me of the talent normally found at a Ritz Carlton. She remembered all names of everyone in all parties and offered assistance and service information above and beyond. The overall hotel is average yet affordable but the showers are to way to small and the bath faucets are difficult to operate.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Hello Tdevescery,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story! I am glad that Mandy was able to take such good care of you during your stay! I'm positive that she will love reading your review. I am pleased to hear that you like our hotel & services and that you feel we are above average. I am disappointed to hear that you feel our bathrooms are too small. But I am glad that you enjoyed everything else! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review!
Take care,